Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Probably all questions I have already are answered multiple times and I do apologize for asking again. I did search the PF and found many answered already, but still have couple open.
1. Should I pluck my mini poo ears? If yes - at what age it has to be started? His ears look pretty fuzzy inside, but they smell fine and I do not see any signs of discomfort from him. He is 9 weeks old.
2. Is it better to pluck by hand or tool? If tool - what is a better tool? Should I use the powder?
3. What is the better way to clean his ears? Any product that is recommended? Again - at what age to start?
4. When should I start to brush his teeth? Any product that is recommended?
5. What is the right size of the grooming table for the mini poodle? Is 30" sufficient or better to go large?
6. How often his nails have to be clipped? Is it better to use clippers or grinder? They are so small now, like kitten's. I am not comfortable clipping them and afraid to cut too short. At the same time have to start one day.
7. He is still a puppy, so I brush him twice a day to get him used to it. I use the slicker brush on the morning and the pin brush at the evening. He really does not like the slicker brush.

This is all i can think about. Appreciate any advise.

Registered
7. My dogs have not liked slickers either. Especially with soft baby fur that doesn't provide much protection, they can scratch the skin (try on your arm and see!). I sometimes use one now that my boy is through his coat change and has very thick hair, but I'm always very cautious with it. Don't use it on your pup if he is uncomfortable with it, stick with the pin brush and a steel comb for now. You don't want to make him dislike grooming.
6. Trim nails every 2-4 weeks for now. You might be able to go longer when he is older, depending on how much he wears them down naturally. Look at the nail from the side, see where is hooks down and gets skinnier? Trim a little longer than that. Even if you do one paw a day, definitely get started!
4. Start with mouth handling right away. Just lifting lips, maybe rubbing gums. I don't really start brushing until all the adult teeth are in, since I don't want to hurt any loose teeth. You could start rubbing a little toothpaste on his canine teeth with a piece of gauze once he is happy with mouth handling. An enzymatic toothpaste will be the most effective. I use C.E.T in Vanilla Mint. My boy likes it (that's the most important!) and it smells better to me than the chicken or tuna lol. If you brush daily you will be an amazing owner, I'm happy if I do it weekly 馃槵.
3. Clean his ears when they look dirty. But do work on fiddling in his ears right away. Squirt ear cleaner onto a cotton pad, gently insert into the ear canal. Massage the base of the ear. Take out the wet cotton, clean with a dry piece. Use a circular, scooping motion if you need to get into the ear canal.
1 & 2. It's very individual how much or whether ears need to be plucked. Imo the easiest way (for the dog) is to use a little ear powder, and pluck a few hairs by hand. If you do that every so often, you won't cause irritation like you would if you pulled out a lot at once.

Premium Member
Start now getting puppy used ti being handled (mouth ears tail, etc,) so that puppy will be fine with these for going to the groomer or going to the vet and especially for new daily tasks such as brushing coat and teeth. I didn't do a very good job with Asta and now he is a terror to groom. You don't want that, believe me!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Start now getting puppy used ti being handled
I try my best to touch him all over his body. He is fine so far with anything I do to him.
I stopped using the slicker brush and use the comb instead. He is fine with the comb and the pin brush, so I guess the slicker was hurting his skin. He is wiggling when I brush him, but he is a puppy after all.
Planning to start brushing his teeth with some doggies tooth paste and my finger. He is OK with me touching his teeth and tong, so I think this is good.
Biting is becoming a bigger issue - my hands have cuts all over. Some deep enough to see the blood, like from a knife. Not sure if this is normal. I try to replace my fingers with the toy, and usually he excepts the trade. He is biting not just during the grooming, in general all the time. Stopping the playing sessions when he bites does not work so far. He just plays with the toys instead and bites next time when he gets an opportunity. Not the mean bites, just like a casual thing to do. Really hope he will get over this sooner better then later.

Registered
I started touching Topper (almost 4-month old minipmoo) all over when we got him at 9 weeks old. The breeder had handled him daily, did his nails with a Dremel and gave him at least one bath and clip before we got him. I use a metal comb every day and brush his teeth (give him a toothbrush with toothpaste on it, then move it around his mouth) every other day or so. I took him to the groomer three weeks ago and she said he was OK for a poodle puppy. However, in the past week or so he has started biting the comb! He bites at my hands now when I reach for him to grab his collar. Any suggestions on how to deal with rejection/regression?

Registered
Sounds like Misha when he was a puppy. My advice is to groom when they are good and tired so you get less comb biting. Just be persistent. I would advise a soft plastic tipped slicker for puppies. I like paw brothers which is on Amazon. Very cheap and gentle. Also, only groom on a raised surface so they get used to a grooming routine and understand it is not play time. Persistence is key.

The biting is typical of many poodle pups. Misha was particularly mouthy and he grew out of it mostly by 9 months. Replace with toy or time out in x pen were my methods. But it was maddening at times.

Super Moderator
He bites at my hands now when I reach for him to grab his collar.
Definitely don't want to keep rehearsing that. We rarely grab Peggy by the collar because we want to keep it positive. Here's a good way to practise:

Your puppy probably just thinks you're playing, and that's fine. You just don't want to get to the point that he's dodging you.

For biting the comb, have you tried enlisting the help of someone else? They can feed treats while you do a little combing. That's how we started with Peggy. Regular appointments with a wonderful professional groomer also helped.

Registered
I swear I鈥檝e had several puppies, volunteered at a shelter regularly for a few years, and have plenty of puppy experience, and have never dealt with a nipper like my spoo. My kids clothes are full of holes, even with having her tethered and supervised. I just keep telling them (and myself!) that this is a phase that will pass. Just commiserating!

For the slicker, how are you using it? Ive heard to not to drag it through the coat, therefore dragging on the skin, but touch and pull it out away from the body. Starla didn鈥檛 like it at first but tolerates it just fine now (better than the comb for sure!) and I find it much faster than combing. Not saying don鈥檛 do what works for you, just an idea. 馃檪

Registered
Definitely don't want to keep rehearsing that. We rarely grab Peggy by the collar because we want to keep it positive. Here's a good way to practise:

Your puppy probably just thinks you're playing, and that's fine. You just don't want to get to the point that he's dodging you.

For biting the comb, have you tried enlisting the help of someone else? They can feed treats while you do a little combing. That's how we started with Peggy. Regular appointments with a wonderful professional groomer also helped.
Thank you for the link! We'll try it tomorrow (Topper is in bed already). I can try to get my husband to be the treat dispenser, but unfortunately Topper's play behavior is worse with him. I can scatter treats on the grooming table while I comb, just like I do when I'm desensitizing to the clipper or Dremel tool.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
For the slicker, how are you using it?
I was actually drugging it through the coat. I did not know how to use it. So I will try the technique you described. For now he is fine with the comb. He still has puppy coat, so it is easy to comb him.
I introduced the clippers today. I got the BravMini to use on the face and feet. He was fine with the clippers. I clipped around his tail and the base of the tail. Cannot say that I am proud of the results :rolleyes:. Looks pretty funny and I just can imagine the comments from my hubby when he comes home o_O

1 - 11 of 11 Posts