Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 8 months on steroids Poppy's coat is thin and very soft - not very poodley at all. We have cut the Prednidale dose to the minimum her vet is happy with, but her coat has not recovered. Perhaps also because of the steroids cauliflower-like sebacious warts are proliferating and growing bigger - vet tells me they are nothing to worry about but I try to disguise them by keeping her coat longer. Her paws and lower legs are nearly bare, so she always looks as if she has just been paddling.

We are very much into comfort over beauty, especially as she gets tired standing so I try to limit table time to around 20 minutes, but I would welcome advice and ideas from anyone who has been through this.

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Gracie's coat thinned out considerably thanks to her Cushing's disease, and I took her right down with a 10 blade. This allowed me the longest wait between groomings, which I did myself, about a quarter at a time, with her tucked in my lap or laying on her side.

She had her share of those cauliflowers, too, and so I kept the hair immediately surrounding them a little longer for coverage. I wish I had a good photo for you.

Eventually they began oozing, so I had to shave around them in order to keep them properly clean.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poppy's cauliflowers are a bit oozy, but there are bare patches round them so it is easy to clean them up when necessary. She looks very pathetic cut short - rather like an apricot Chinese Crested gone wrong! I think you are right about grooming in stages though. I did just her face and tail a few weeks ago, so body may be next. Perhaps bath one day, clip the next, too, to minimise stress.

We are just back from a half hour walk by the river which she enjoyed, and (I hardly dare even whisper it) are on the third day of Goodish Poos, after a single dose of Metronidazole on Monday. You will know what that feels like!

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Flower had the thinning coat that you describe I just kept it 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch and bought a bunch of sweaters and sweatshirts to keep her warm, it bothered me more than her. And yes she had a ton of the old lady warts.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good idea, Twyla. She doesn't seem to feel the cold at the moment, but some extra layers for winter may be useful.

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
There are stretchy thin fleeces that fit very much like a second skin. The seams are even worn on the outside, which I think is a very thoughtful touch.

Not sure if they're available in the UK, but this is the brand I buy:

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are very nice - not easy to find in the UK, and very expensive here unfortunately. Poppy is a rather odd shape at the moment (large tummy due to steroids, skinny elsewhere) so I may borrow the ideas and sew for her.

And the Good Poos didn't last. I'm hoping one dose of metronidazole will sort it for another three days, though, and act quickly enough that we are not up half the night...

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have accepted it is probably going to be chronic now - just trying to get the optimal balance of met and supplements to control it without introducing yet more side effects. I find it amazing that she is so cheerful with so much going wrong!

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, for a dog that is such an utter wuss about so many things she is incredibly stoical when it comes to physical discomfort. Sophy is very brave and confident about life in general, but screams at the mere prospect of pain; Poppy is the opposite - the vets commented on how brave she was about blood tests etc. She doesn't enjoy visiting the vet, but is over it almost as soon as she is safely back in the car. It does make things easier - it would be very hard to manage her condition if every vet visit were a major trauma.

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I let Poppy's coat get really long (for her), brushed her thoroughly yesterday, and today bathed her and did a 1/2" comb all over, with a 10 blade for nose and tail, 1/4" on tummy and chest, and short scissored topknot, ears and tail. She looks so much better - 1/2" is long enough to camouflage the warts without making her look too humungous, and the short topknot is not too floppy. Her lower legs are practically bare from steroid hair loss but Poppy thinks that is quite a Good Thing - she never did like having her feet clipped! I think she feels better too - she had a real poodle prance to her when we at last got out for a walk.

So thanks for your hep everyone - I think we've found a clip that works for both of us for the time being.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts