Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been grooming my girls on my kitchen table which is inconvenient at best. I think its time to buy a good grooming table. There are so many I don't know which brand and type to buy for my two 17 pound minis. I foolishly spent what seems like a lot of money on a Chris Christopherson flexible arm to hold the dryer and it never worked out because it wouldn't stay anchored. I wish I could get rid of it. Maybe it would stay on better on a grooming table.
Any suggestions on brand and type of table to get? They all seem pretty similar to me. I want something that folds up but not too expensive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the flying pig bone shaped table. It is fine.

What I like about it:
Grippy top
Removable basket under table
Has rubber feet caps

What I don’t like about it:
Not the best for using to give baths on because water can get in the legs
Kind of heavy
Not cheap

I think the most important thing is to make sure your table is the right size for your mini (I’m not qualified to comment on this) and that it puts the dog at comfortable height for you. Measure before you buy!

If you plan to move it a lot, weight might be a concern.

Would love to hear some other folks thoughts because I’d like to get another one that is lighter and better for getting wet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Back in the 1980s I built my own grooming tables - I had 4 or 5 of them because I was showing dogs extensively. When I bought Zoe, my mini poo, I still had one of my old grooming tables. It was big since it was built for standard poodles, and it was rusty. So I pitched it and ordered the Flying Pig table from Amazon. I ordered the large one since I'm pretty sure I'll get another standard poodle.

I have been pleased with the table, and I later ordered a smaller one to take to dog shows - it weighs less. I especially like the basket underneath so I can put my clippers in it rather than on the floor. (Clippers laid on the table have a nasty habit of falling off and breaking.)

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I have a flying pig from Amazon size large for my st. poodle. He certainly fills it up. It comes with a neck stand/noose. It is very sturdy, easy to fold up if you desire. I leave mine up in my laundry room. I think it was very well priced.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I don't know much about grooming tables and sorry that I don't have a recommendation other than being a little heavy probably means it's more stable and won't tip over with your dog on it, especially moving around.

But I did want to comment because I got a kick out of what you discovered...that it was inconvenient to groom on your kitchen table and now you want a grooming table. I chuckled because I have found I prefer the kitchen table with a vinyl cloth over it and all my supplies around me within easy reach. My grooming table that I bought from someone for $50 (don't even know what it is called) is small because it's meant for tpoos. My kitchen table is good sized. So, after seeing the grooming table folded up wedged between something in my laundry room for months, I decided to make use of it again...it has been assigned to my greenhouse and is being used for holding a seedling tray. My led grow lights that have a clamp just work fine on the edge of it with a little shim. Lol.

Good luck. I think with lots of input from other people, you'll choose just the right thing for you. Take your time with researching this.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
I bought a no name off eBay. I used a snipe program and was patient so I got a great price. I used to take my dog to a grooming shop and saw flying pig and other brand tables and my cheapy from eBay is their equal.

I bought one that is easily foldable. While I keep it out permanently I like the option to fold it flat. It has a rubber textured surface. I love that mine has a shelf across the bottom where I can store the high velocity dryer. It’s more like a wide wire basket because it has sides to help contain anything I put there. It came with a grooming arm which I have attached but never used and maybe one day I’ll remove it.

When I was researching what kind of table I wanted, I used the search here at PF and read every post about tables. I think the best advice I got was to not buy a table that was too large. The larger the table, the more room your dog will wander about on. I have room for the grooming tools and dog on my table. I bought a tall set of plastic drawers to keep next to the table to store all grooming supplies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts