Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s me of the broken wrist, will be coming out of my cast in 10 days and when I have regained normal use of my hand/wrist, I would like to do my own grooming. I have a good set of Andis clippers and the Wahl stainless steel combs, but I’m trying to decide on a hydraulic vs. electric table. In the past, I groomed my small dogs on a folding table with a fixed height, and always ended up with a sore back.

Just wondering what advice those of you who home-groom can give me regarding your experience with grooming tables has been, particularly in grooming Standard Poodles.

Thanks,
Cheryl

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have had several grooming tables over the years. I currently have a couple from Flying Pig (what a weird name!). The larger one is in my shop in my dog grooming area and the small one is in the house. I do not clip dogs in the house - too much hair escapes. The table in the house is for brushing and nail trims.

The table in the shop has been used for standard poodles in the past. To go with it I have a folding stair so a large dog can climb up to the table without my having to lift a large dog.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had several grooming tables over the years. I currently have a couple from Flying Pig (what a weird name!). The larger one is in my shop in my dog grooming area and the small one is in the house. I do not clip dogs in the house - too much hair escapes. The table in the house is for brushing and nail trims.

The table in the shop has been used for standard poodles in the past. To go with it I have a folding stair so a large dog can climb up to the table without my having to lift a large dog.
Johanna, are either of your tables hydraulic or electric? I’m trying to figure out if those options are worth the hundreds of dollars investment, thanks!

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I have the large flying pig for my standard, it is not electric so I'd need to have stairs for him to climb or lift him up. I seldom use it since I do not have stairs nor do I lift him though at time I place his front paws on and lift his rear. Getting him off is a bit harder but I take his rear legs down then guide his front legs.. If I could afford it I'd go electric.

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
I had seriously considered a hydraulic or electric table until I realized how heavy they are. I decided to go with a grooming table I can fold and put away if needed. Of course I’ve never folded it or put it away....😱

if you have a dedicated room or space where you plan to leave it, then either is a good option. Check the weight in case you might want to move it.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Johanna, are either of your tables hydraulic or electric? I’m trying to figure out if those options are worth the hundreds of dollars investment, thanks!
No, they are just standard grooming tables with legs that fold up - both are Flying Pig tables from Amazon. Years ago when I was breeding and showing standard poodles I used to make my own grooming tables, but now it's as expensive to buy the materials as it is to buy a ready-made table! I don't think hydraulic/electric tables are necessary for even the largest standard poodle. Just get a folding metal stair and teach the dog to climb up and walk down.

My current folding stair was purchased from Chewy.com but Amazon has them too. Chewy was cheaper for the same model. I strongly recommend stairs - I literally got a hernia from lifting standard poodles on/off grooming tables!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I had seriously considered a hydraulic or electric table until I realized how heavy they are. I decided to go with a grooming table I can fold and put away if needed. Of course I’ve never folded it or put it away....😱
HaHaHa! My "temporary" small grooming table is still in front of the bedroom window. I did take the grooming arm off and put it underneath. The large table stays up all the time in the shop. Besides grooming Zoe on it, it comes in handy for a place to put partially completed projects.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I have the large flying pig for my standard, it is not electric so I'd need to have stairs for him to climb or lift him up. I seldom use it since I do not have stairs nor do I lift him though at time I place his front paws on and lift his rear. Getting him off is a bit harder but I take his rear legs down then guide his front legs.. If I could afford it I'd go electric.
Do get some stairs, Mufar42. They are not nearly as expensive as back or hernia surgery!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I am another person with 2 grooming tables: a flying pig in the guest room for comb outs and nails, and a regular small table (too short for comfort!) in the grooming shed where I keep my clippers, hi vac dryer, and a shop vac to clean up with. I bought the Flying Pig to put out in the shed to replace the too short table, but it was so convenient have a real grooming table in the house that I nixed that idea. You really do comb your poodle more when it’s as convenient as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts