Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two spoos, and am considering doing some grooming at home between their regular 4-week groom. I like the idea of a grooming table because it would position them in a handy place. As an aside, I would love it if my babies would lie quietly on a couch or bed while I use my dryer and brushes, like I see in videos, but I can’t see my two doing that, especially my wriggly 8-month old. So I’m looking at acquiring a grooming table. Here are my questions: (1) is this a good idea or unnecessary, (2) what type of table would work best for at-home grooming, and (3) for those who have a spoo and use a table, how do you get them up there? Hoist them, or is there a better more back-friendly way? Thanks for any insights and advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I have a grooming table though I have yet tried to groom. LOL I have put Renn on it every week since he was little. I just lifted him but now I cannot do that anymore. I place his two front legs on it then lift the rest of him up. Its getting more difficult to get him down. For that I just lift him. I purchased mine from Amazon, it is from Flying Pig, large, heavy duty. came with arm and neck noose. It is very sturdy.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
I think a grooming table is a great investment. My poodles know I am not going to do any serious grooming anywhere other than on the table. I sometimes put them on the table and just feed them treats to help them to think it is a fun place to be. Both of mine are good for grooming, but don't love it so using the table helps them to know it is time for the work of the groom.

I recently got the flying pig table and like it very much. It is a good size for spoos and a decent height (although not adjustable) and has a nice sturdy wire shelf underneath which is now where my dryer sits.

Reactions: gateapples

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have two Flying Pig tables - a small one in the house and a large one in the shop. I also have a set of folding steps for the one in the shop so a standard poodle can go up the steps to the table.

The dog ladder is really great - picking up a standard poodle is certainly not good for the back!

A grooming table makes grooming much, much easier. I would not want to do without one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a grooming table though I have yet tried to groom. LOL I have put Renn on it every week since he was little. I just lifted him but now I cannot do that anymore. I place his two front legs on it then lift the rest of him up. Its getting more difficult to get him down. For that I just lift him. I purchased mine from Amazon, it is from Flying Pig, large, heavy duty. came with arm and neck noose. It is very sturdy.

I’m going to buy mine from Amazon too I think! You are a trooper for lifting Renn. Bailey is 40 pounds and probably will be about 50 pounds (though who knows).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think a grooming table is a great investment. My poodles know I am not going to do any serious grooming anywhere other than on the table. I sometimes put them on the table and just feed them treats to help them to think it is a fun place to be. Both of mine are good for grooming, but don't love it so using the table helps them to know it is time for the work of the groom.

I recently got the flying pig table and like it very much. It is a good size for spoos and a decent height (although not adjustable) and has a nice sturdy wire shelf underneath which is now where my dryer sits.

Sounds like Flying Pig is the way to go. You make an excellent point about the grooming table being a signal of serious grooming time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have two Flying Pig tables - a small one in the house and a large one in the shop. I also have a set of folding steps for the one in the shop so a standard poodle can go up the steps to the table.

The dog ladder is really great - picking up a standard poodle is certainly not good for the back!

A grooming table makes grooming much, much easier. I would not want to do without one.

Wow I’ve never seen a dog ladder. Great idea. Ladies I really appreciate your help and thoughts and advice!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Years ago I ended up with an umbilical hernia caused by picking up heavy dogs. That's when I got a dog ladder. I've used one ever since.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I really like that ladder, where did you find it? Renn is at least 50 lbs now, at his last weighing two months ago.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Pet Edge has the best price. Google "Master Equipment pet stairs". Walmart evidently carries them sometimes but they are currently marked as out of stock. I see some on E-Bay, too.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
The pet ladder may be in my future too (maybe Santa will bring me one). I pick them up to put them on the table, no problem with Lily who is like a feather, but Javelin is a hunky boy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi, sorry to interject a question into this thread but I was wondering where you groom your dog(s)- mostly for those of you who groom not as a professional. I was thinking about eventually using an "office" room we have in our basement as a grooming area but there are no windows...and carpet. But I don't think setting it up anywhere else in the house will work and would be a pain to clean up. thank you for any insight

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, sorry to interject a question into this thread but I was wondering where you groom your dog(s)- mostly for those of you who groom not as a professional. I was thinking about eventually using an "office" room we have in our basement as a grooming area but there are no windows...and carpet. But I don't think setting it up anywhere else in the house will work and would be a pain to clean up. thank you for any insight

Hi there. Right now I don’t have a grooming area set up. My husband is insisting that we use professional grooming when necessary which is rather shortsighted but oh well. The most I do is bathe and then blow dry a little with my own very inadequate hair dryer.

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
We have an upstairs spare bedroom with no carpet and I leave all of my stuff set up there. We took the shower doors off the track so it is fairly easy to use the bath tub up there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts