Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, everyone! Thanks again to those of you who commented on my member introduction. Today completes two weeks with our 11 week old pup, August, and he’s just delightful. One challenge he has is that he overheats something awful, I assume because his coat is so dark. If it’s really hot, he won’t even go outside, poor guy, so he needs a haircut! I’d like to start grooming him on my own. I’m sorry if people have talked about this before, (I’m not good at searching the forum yet.) but is there a consensus about what are the best clippers, blades, brushes, etc. to have in one’s arsenal for grooming at home? The choices are overwhelming!

If there’s a link to another discussion that would answer this question, I’d be great with that. Not trying to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!

Here’s my boy pretending to be a topiary:

Attachments

·
Registered
739 Posts
He is darling!
I have an Andis clipper, I think it is called the ultra edge. I also use the Andis 10, 4, and 30 blades along with Whall and Andis clipper combs. You also might want a high-velocity dryer if you do not have one already.
If you do not already own one get a steel-toothed comb, I think there are called greyhound combs, and a good slicker brush.
Try looking up in the search function groom tools suggestions I think there are a few threads that named something like that.

·
Premium Member
23,233 Posts
I also use an Andis for heavy shave downs (in order here too these days). I try to leave a bit of length by using a 3 blade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use an Andis ProClip Ultra Edge 2 speed with Buttercut Blades #10. Love these blades very smooth. I also use a metal comb you can get at your favorite store or amazon Pettom Pet Steel Grooming Tool Poodle Finishing Butter Comb, 7 1/2-inch L.

I'm self taught grooming and YouTube has been my mentor in learning how to groom a poodle. I keep Ruby in a Miami cut and find it leaves her somewhat girlie but she can run through the forest like a tomboy too.

Attachments

Reactions: Legs&Leashes21

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, everyone! That is really helpful. I seriously didn’t know where to begin. DWAV, Ruby looks great! That, sans cuffs, is pretty much what I want to do for August.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
I have an Oster A5 (I think the current model is the A6) Very robust for thick standard coats. I have a smaller, Arco SE for fft. Yes, a greyhound comb is a must. I use a pin brush rather than a slicker - Asta seems much better with that.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Lots of us use a Dremel - I have a nail grinder from Andis which works really well. You can take down a little at a time, much less worry about cutting the quick.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
My pup freaks out about the dremel, and I've found it easier to just clip a little with a standard clipper every week, and run a regular nail file over them a few times to round them out.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I will add my 2 cents here....setting up the coat properly before grooming can make or break the groom.. i am a total amature, but have learned a few things which really help make grooming easier.

The right shampoo. I have used Nature's Specialties Almond Crisp shampoo for 26 yrs. i dilute it heavily before using. 1 oz shampoo to 32 oz water. It cleans well, rinses out well and NEVER dries the skin or coat, even when my Missy Piggy, Poppy needs 4 baths a week from playing in mud! This company also makes Coat Conditioner which is great, use sparingly and dilute before using. Order on Amazon for best price and Prime shipping. A 32 oz bottle of shampoo lasts well over a year when heavily diluted.

Change out your shower head in the bath to one which is hand held. I used a WaterPik one from Walmart. Great for humans and dogs....helps you rinse and wash your pup efficiently.

Get a high velocity dryer to fluff dry the coat...it also straightens the coat for easier clipping. I got one on Amazon called Shelandy. It is $70 and works great. Quieter than I expected. I can bathe and fully dry my Standard in just about an hour.....great time saver.

Watch Sue Zecco videos and Jay Scruggs videos on youtube. They both do great videos on fluff drying and clipping poodles.

Have fun!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Oh boy, well I got my first Spoo in June. I thought I had most of the basics covered. I do, after all, have a Giant & I'm her groomer. That theory went right out the window after I did my first real grooming on him. Yikes (see thread mentioning being glad hair grows back :argh: )

Here's what I had:

grooming table
Andis super 2 speed clippers
Cooling stone (to put the clipper blade on to cool them faster. It's a stone tile from Home Depot, cost $1)
#10, #9 blades
quality scissors
a variety of combs & brushes
Little plastic box holding all my grooming supplies (like the little Chihuahua in the old Taco Bell commercials said, "I think I'm gonna need a bigger box"... yeah well... that's coming).
Super absorbent grooming towels

After the 2nd bath, my husband had me order a Booster Bath. No, it's not a necessity however I would fight like a Lion anyone who tried to steal my Booster Bath. I have 3 big dogs & my back loves being able to bathe up off the ground.

So what I've bought since getting Mr. Layne in June:

-Poodle Clipping & Grooming by Shirlee Kalstone book
-Dremel with the bendable extension thingy for grinding nails. (Before my dogs would go into struggles over the grinder... enter Dremel with extension... they tolerate it & no more scratches after nail trims)
-3 3/4F blade
-discovered very recently that Mr. Layne doesn't like the slicker brush I have. I went to Petco & got the Well & Good brand slicker with the coating over the ends of the bristles (now he's a happy boy)
-Chi brand finishing spray
-Just like the Chihuahua said in that old Taco Bell commercial, I got a bigger groom box & in the back to school sale stuff, I got 4 round holder thingys to keep my stuff organized.
-I also got a beard/mustache trimmer for humans to trim between toes so I don't cut any skin (I use this to get him used to it without me freaking out about nicking him). I did this with my Giant & she's the least paw-touchy dog in the world.
- Mr. Layne had some damp ear issues. I learned from the hound breeders that if you tie up the ears for an hour a day & allow the air to circulate there equals healthier ears. He didn't like the hair scrunchy so I put his ears up with so I flop his ears over the top of his head & put a little panty hose snood sort of thing on him so the air can get into the ear. I also added a drying lotion for dog ears. I use it once a week or once every other week. No more damp, stinky ears.

I am waiting for my new Shelandy dryer to arrive, hopefully later this week.

I still need a #30 or #40 blade
Probably other blades I just haven't figured out which ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts