Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Do all toy poodles have the same face when they are shaved?

I am a bit confused. All the toy poodle puppies look the same but when I see pictures after 1-1.5-years toy poodles seem different. Does this mean that each of us can choose a different grooming style? I like to have a toy poodle that looks like a bear, with no offense to those that like the clean/shaved faces, I would like to keep that fur, bear face.

I am not sure if I am allowed to upload pictures from Instagram to show you what I mean but do you ask a specific grooming style?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
You can groom your tpoo to have a bear face.

When they are puppies their face should be shaved regularly to help them get used to grooming. When they are older you can let the hair grow. You never know in an older dog, something may crop up such as a rash or allergies that require a temporary shaved face.

Be aware that maintaining long hair means more work for you keeping it clean. Food sticks to it when they eat and needs to be washed off (not just poodles, any dog with a fluffy mouth area). In addition almost every breed of small dog tends to have tear stains as their tear ducts are often too small or closed and therefore don’t drain the fluids that all healthy dogs produce in their eyes. You have to keep the area under the eyes clean and it’s difficult to remove stains.

Keeping long facial hair may mean more frequent visits to the groomer to keep it neat looking. Usually when you see photos of dogs with these cute bear faces, they are freshly groomed.

Keeping a clean face on a poodle is low maintenance, long hair is high maintenance.

Reactions: poodlelover12

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can groom your tpoo to have a bear face.

When they are puppies their face should be shaved regularly to help them get used to grooming. When they are older you can let the hair grow. You never know in an older dog, something may crop up such as a rash or allergies that require a temporary shaved face.

Be aware that maintaining long hair means more work for you keeping it clean. Food sticks to it when they eat and needs to be washed off (not just poodles, any dog with a fluffy mouth area). In addition almost every breed of small dog tends to have tear stains as their tear ducts are often too small or closed and therefore don’t drain the fluids that all healthy dogs produce in their eyes. You have to keep the area under the eyes clean and it’s difficult to remove stains.

Keeping long facial hair may mean more frequent visits to the groomer to keep it neat looking. Usually when you see photos of dogs with these cute bear faces, they are freshly groomed.

Keeping a clean face on a poodle is low maintenance, long hair is high maintenance.
Thank you very much for all the info. Good to know. Shaving a puppy isn't quite difficult and maybe painful for them?

You mentioned about tear stains, are the red lines in puppy's eyes? If I get a puppy without the tear stains (red lines) does this means that is fine? Or there is a chance to face that issue in a later stage?

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
Get a copy of Shirley Kalstone's poodle grooming book to see different styles as well as for lessons on how to comb/brush, bathe and fluff dry and all sorts of styling techniques. The red lines are tear stains. Excessive tearing can be an indication of an allergy (often to a food). Clipping doesn't hurt if done properly. Puppies often don't like it much, but protests don't mean your puppy is being hurt. Even if you ultimately want a teddy bear type face it is important to teach puppies to accept being groomed. You may find some helpful information here. https://www.poodleforum.com/9-poodle-grooming/266567-teaching-grooming-behavior-puppies.html

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Thank you very much for all the info. Good to know. Shaving a puppy isn't quite difficult and maybe painful for them?

You mentioned about tear stains, are the red lines in puppy's eyes? If I get a puppy without the tear stains (red lines) does this means that is fine? Or there is a chance to face that issue in a later stage?
Yes, tear stains are those red lines. And if you don’t clean their face often, they get crusty dried tears on their face. Sometimes you see a photo of a dog with crusty tears stains and you know that is a poor dog who’s not being kept clean.

Your puppy might not have tear stains but could develop them.

Reactions: Legs&Leashes21

·
Registered
2,687 Posts

This is my Noel with tear stains:

Noel with tear stains.jpg

And here's my boys from shaggy to shaved:

Neo and Remo shaggy to shaved.jpg

Reactions: Newport

·
Registered
537 Posts
Very cute, Rose n Poos! I'm glad you shared your pictures.

I have been keeping Navy with a partially shaved face and a small donut mustache at the end of his muzzle. It looks cute on him. One of the great things about poodles is you can give them whatever haircut is appealing to you.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Louie sports a beard and mustache now - makes him look more manly and fits his character - however just like every guy with a beard will tell you that takes a lot more grooming the face than you would think. In order for a beard and mustache to show you still have to shave other parts of the face like the cheeks and the nose ridge eye area. I don't think I could do the whole face styling if Louie wasn't 100% comfortable with the clippers all over his face. The beard and mustache also have to be extensively scissored to look good and well kept. There is a lot of muck between grooming that has to be cut out of both beard and mustache since Louie is now most white and food stains will show..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts