Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
I am not sure how safe that would be round the eyes and lips...

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I've actually used some blunt nosed scissors on Renn last week, didn't get all of his face but pretty good, Today I plan to use the clippers and scissor as he needs more done. Next I will tackle feet. I want my groomer. I just heard that the local PetsMart has opened their groomer section for a limited number of dogs but I won't go there.

·
Premium Member
23,150 Posts
I am one who favors using the correct tool for the correct purpose and the item in the first post is not the right tool anywhere on earth for grooming a dog. Many years ago a colleague (not classroom and not a bright candle) used a serrated kitchen knife to try to trim some bushes. He broke his knife and almost cut off his index finger. With the wrong tool to try to trim a poodle's face I see physical and psychological damage to both person and dog as real possibilities. Invest in the best clipper you can afford. Look around as there are often promo codes and other sorts of sales on them.

Reactions: Vee and jcris

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I don’t think hacking away at hair on the face with that tool would be pleasant for your dog nor would it look nice. Best to stick with an electric trimmer. They are safer, easier and will give you a nice smooth finish.

It might be a good investment to buy something like the bravura (or minibravura for a minipoo or tpoo.). If your poodle doesn’t have very thick hair you could use a Bravura to clip the body too. Or look for something similar to my link with good ratings. Even cheap clippers for human/pet hair that you can buy in Walmart or Target will work the only difference is it’s harder to change the blades. Professional, expensive clippers allow you to snap blades on and off without unscrewing.

·
Super Moderator
5,096 Posts
Definitely use the right tool for the job.

Confession: I tried using my husband's clippers on Peggy, thinking they looked virtually identical to my old Andis clippers, but had interchangeable combs so I could maintain some of her body length....and oh gosh.

Peggy sits perfectly for grooming, but the moment that thing touched her, she LAUNCHED herself off the ottoman I was using as a grooming table. I had zero warning. I'm lucky she wasn't on a proper table.

I'm guessing the clippers yanked her hair.

So I've now spent the money on a new blade for my Andis and am waiting for it to arrive. Might be quite a while, unfortunately. But I don't want to ruin Peggy's experience with grooming.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is frustrating. What do people without electricity do about their faces? I have been scissoring around his eyes so he can see.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I don't mean to speak for kontiki but in another of our desparation grooming threads, it was mentioned that clippers are very difficult to manage so it'll need to be something very light weight and easy to grasp.
Hold the phone! I just thought of what will work for you - a mini clipper. Many folks here like the Wahl BravMini and there's also a Wahl MiniArco and MiniFigura. These are half the weight of the full size clippers. I think the battery type is the main difference.

Less known but for 1/3 or less of the price, Andis has their Mini version also. I have that and use it for face and feet.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am very hesitant about the mini's they apparently are 30, or in one case 40. Groomers have always used 10 blades on his face and feet because he is so sensitive. He is also white. Also, I have never used a clipper and have arthritis.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I just looked at these. How short would they be able to cut? Would it be as short as a 10 blade?
Based on reviews mentioning eyes, it's not going to cut that close. At least one said they use the round tip scissors "Scaredy Cut Tiny Trim" scissors for the face to get close there. The shortest comb length seems to be 1/2 inch. Otherwise these look like they could do for your boy's body.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I am very hesitant about the mini's they apparently are 30, or in one case 40. Groomers have always used 10 blades on his face and feet because he is so sensitive. He is also white. Also, I have never used a clipper and have arthritis.
They all seem to come with attachment combs for a longer cut and probably weigh about the same as the scissors but if you're not comfortable with the idea, then it's not the right choice for you.

You'll get this figured out!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
This is the scaredy mentioned above in other post. Still don't know the closest cut comparison to regular blades.
It is, I was just showing the set together.

The item description says 1/2 inch, apparently as the shortest length. I assume you don't have to use the combs if you don't want and that would be closer but might be a bit awkward due to scissor size.

Here's the blade length chart from another thread. A #10 blade leaves about 1/16" or 2mm. The # 3 or #3F is the 1/2" or 13mm. So the Scaredy Cut with the shortest comb length will be about 11mm longer than the #10 blade.

Dog Clipper Blade Numbers and Lengths of Cut
Below is a list of the clipper blade numbers and the length of coat that is left on the dog after the clip.

Clipper Blade NumberDescription of Cut
Blade #3 or #3F Cuts and leaves 1/2" or 13mm length of coat on the dog
Blade #4 or # 4FCuts and leaves approximately 3/8" or 9.5mm length of coat
Blade #5 or #5F Cuts and leaves approximately 1/4" or 6mm length of coat
Blade #5/8 Toe Blade Is specifically for clipping between the toes and feet
Blade #7 or #7F Cuts and leaves approximately 1/8" or 3.2mm length of coat
Blade #7/8 Toe Blade Is specifically for clipping between toes and feet
Blade #8 1/2 Cuts and leaves 7/64" or 2.8mm length of coat
Blade #9 Cuts and leaves approximately 5/64" or 2mm length of coat
Blade #10 Cuts and leaves 1/16" or 2mm length of coat
Blade #15 Cuts and leaves 1.2mm length of coat
Blade #30 Cuts and leaves 0.5mm length of coat
Blade #40 & #50 Are specifically for short surgical cuts

Different brands may have slightly different blade numbers however generally the lengths will be pretty much standard as the guide above.

Recommended blade numbers for different lengths of cut for pet clipping:

Summer:
Blade number to use over the body – # 7; blade number for clipping around the anal area and underneath the dog’s hind leg area – #10.

Winter: Blade number to use over the body – # 4 or #5; blade number for clipping around the anal area and underneath the dog’s hind leg area – # 10.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What a great chart. Well, the hair on his face is already about 1/2 "long, so I guess I am left with scissoring. He will look rather messy for sure!
Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
It'll all work out fine. Those of us first timing it or still novices just put too much pressure on ourselves and set our expectations pretty high. All we need to do til groomers reappear is keep them clean and their fur manageable,

Oh, and try not to let them see us laughing at our result :).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts