Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to research grooming schools and they are all over 3 hours away from me!! I have found some that you do at home but im not so sure about that, what do you guys think of an at home grooming school? Im really wanting to do grooming but im afraid nobody would hire me if i just do it online. Any advise would be awsome. Thank you all.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
If you're wanting to learn to groom I highly recommend joining petgroomerforums.com as well, as they are awesome on there!!!

If you can't find a school, have you tried to look for an apprenticeship? Some big box places offer training on the job...

But anyway, if a school is just too far away, then certainly correspondence is better than nothing!!!! Of *course* hands on work is going to be better than online learning, but online learning is better than NOTHING! Not all online courses are created equal though, and that's where petgroomerforums can help more as they'll know the ones that are ok...

And call around everywhere and offer to do some free work, sweeping and cleaning even, and possibly working up to bathing and drying a bit too, just to get around grooming salons and see how they work and what is involved. Be prepared to do the dirty work or a fly on the wall if they're busy and soak up all the experience there. You might find a paid bather job anyway by calling around, but if not then still try and get some work experience if possible; anything to get a foot in the door!! When you couple being able to hang out in a grooming salon with what you'll be learning online, you'll be learning lots. You'll still need to get your hands on dogs to groom, but you're at least getting out there! :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Definitely call around and ask about apprenticing with a groomer in your area! I have no experience with correspondence classes, so I can't give an opinion on that. I did some apprenticing while I worked as a bather, and then continued on to a grooming school that was in my area.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I use to live in Springfield,Mo. not far from you and I took my dog to a lady named Jan. She was just opening her grooming school when I moved you should check her out she has been grooming for at least 35 year. Hope this helps in your search.

Jan's Grooming & School LLC
2500 South Holland Avenue, Springfield, MO 65807-3561
(417) 883-2547‎

1 - 4 of 4 Posts