Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any of you go to Grooming School, take classes, or are you individually self-taught?? Those of you that do other dogs besides your own (as a profession), where did YOU learn??

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about becoming a professional groomer. The problem is I live in a small town, in a sparsley populated area. I haven't been able to find any school that's not hours away and most are very expensive. I've heard mixed things about school vs apprenticeship, but I haven't found a groomer willing to do that either. Right now I'm in college and I'm at least going to finish my basics and then hopefull move to South Texas, where there will be more opportunities for everything.

I groom my own Maltese and my mom's Schnauzer mix and I'm pretty much self taught. I read tons of stuff on the internet and recently joined a grooming forum. I know there are books and DVDs out there too. I've heard great things about Jodi Murphy's DVDs. I just jumped in. I was always careful not to hurt the dogs, but I wasn't focused on what they looked like. It's just hair, it grows back and I've always done better than the last time.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
When I can afford the class, I'm going to have to do a correspondance course. I want to start my own business one day and want that behind me so that I know how to groom all breeds. Other than that I bought a book and read online. I also watched some youtube videos but I am by far good at what I do.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I paid $2500 US dollars for my class, it included all my training and supplies. After getting a job two days later after I graduated I paid off my loan and lived comfortable off my income in.. 7-8 months?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
That sound great! Did you go to a regular school, how long was it? There's a good school in Plano, but it's $5500 for an 11 wk course. I'm sure it's worth it, but that's a lot of money, plus accomadations and no other income.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I was in the right place at the right time! lol. There are NO schools in New Zealand; I'd have to leave the country to attend a grooming school! I learned on the job, and I only got the job because I was the right person in the right place. 4 years on I now run the shop ;)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I was trained by a groomer at a groom shop, you can call to a couple grooming salons around your area to see if anyone is offering to teach you. It wasn't like a school class, I was right in when I was there, bathing dogs to begin with to get the feel.

I would suggest going to an actual 'school' type for your grooming class, because with most you can return for a retake in the class.

Oh, and my class took about 12 weeks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I saw that school in Plano too, Harly Chik. There is also one in Arlington.

I would have to quit my job to take the class and I'm not sure if it would pay off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep, went to grooming school in South FL back in the 80's. At the time is was one of the top 3. There is alot to learn and hands on is the only way to do it. You want a 12 weeks program at the least or if you can not go to school find a local shop and start as a bather and apprintace for grooming. There are alot of DVD out that are great. The NDGAA might be of help too as they have info and mentors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts