Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow poo lovers!

I have wanted to take classes in dog grooming since 1989 when I was blessed with my Athena. I had no
time for that while working full time, raising kids and raising poos. My education would just be a hobby.

I am looking at retiring next year and this is something I really want to do as I will have poos until I die.

I know many of you have learned just by doing it but I'm just to OCD for that... lol.

Do you guys recommend going to school for this?

If any of you have done this, do you think these online classes are worth it?

馃惄
Thanks for your help!

Licks and Wags!

Registered
Hi, I get your interest in attending a school, and have wanted that myself, though am not physically set up for that at this time. Doesn't change the wish though!

If you're comfortable sharing your state, that might help, but know there are fewer schools now than two or three years ago. I know of two renowned schools in the US, but there are other good ones, too. Paragon in Michigan has in-person and online courses and Merryfield Pet Grooming School Fort Lauderdale, FL | Merryfield School has in-person. Nash may also still have in-person courses.

These are of course for those interested in entering the field as a professional. I know of one person who took this path after retiring from a career in an unrelated field. I don't know her personally, but she seems extremely happy in her online presence.

There are also wonderful online courses that include Poodle grooming, including conformation grooms, through Leading Edge leadingedgedogshowacademy.com; learn2groomdogs.com (Paragon); and Jay Scruggs / Sue Zecco Super Styling Sessions superstylingsessions.com.

I've also looked at sites like JKL, jklgrooming.com, which seem to offer legitimate training - again for someone wanting to enter the industry, just at an entry level, perhaps as a bather with intent to advance to stylist, if one lacks much hands on experience.

If sufficiently motivated, one could seek out a professional Poodle handler willing to take on a seasoned worker as a volunteer bucket b*^#h (a real term not seen outside the show realm to speak of), to help at shows and other times in exchange for conformation grooming training. As a seasoned worker myself, I'll readily say these opportunities more often go to the junior handler set...though I guess it could still happen.

Or, you could hang out here, invest in quality tools, read everything going back a while, and practice, practice, practice 馃槉. Gently, on your living muse 馃挅.

Kinda all depends on your goals - and they can change as you go along.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Streetcar!

Thanks so much for your reply!

I'm in Colorado. I found a "school" here (can't remember the name) but I knew it wasn't a good fit because once you completely the courses, you needed to intern for 150 hours at a grooming salon. That's a big no.

Yes, I want this but after working for about 45 years, working 7 days a week running my own business and finally retiring, I'm not going back to work for anybody!

I did find Paragon and that seemed like a better fit for me. I think they had 3 levels to start but you could just do the 1st level if that was desired.

Around here, groomers are booked out for 5 weeks. I have a good relationship with my groomer and have asked around if any of them would be willing to give me a lesson or two and I would pay them well. They looked at me like I had 3 heads. lol They even told me, go ahead, so to school when your done, we'll have a table for you, come help us. lol.

OR I could just take the leap and do it on my dog and see what happens! It's hair, it grows back. I have some nice tools that I used on my chow chows and the other poodles. I have read books, watched videos since the beginning of youtube so I know the safety behind it all, I'm just scared. lol. I've been really enjoying Go Groomer, she's so helpful!

If I screw it up big time, I wonder if I could find a wig for my Latte... LOL. She's just so pretty, I don't want her to have an ugly do! lol.

Registered
Happy, Apricot Standard Superstar
For a brief moment, I entertained the idea of going into grooming as a postretirement gig before I realized grooming other people's dogs probably wouldn't be the same as grooming Happy. That said, I'm still interested in some type of formal training. I found reputable in-person grooming academies in VA ran anywhere from $4000-7000, which is a bit much for a weekend hobby. A Google search revealed a number of decent on-line programs. I even ran across a website that rated the top ten on-line grooming school - some were no more than $500. I think I would go that route before dumping a ton of cash on a traditional grooming school. Just my$.02. Let us know where you end up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Happy's Dad!

Thanks for your 2 cents!

What's the name of the online school that you found?

Paragon would run around $1000 per level, you could take 3 levels.

I have plenty of time to think about this as retirement will hopefully happen next year.

For now, I just spend my time brushing and combing and brushing and combing... lol. Toss is an eye and ear cleaning in and there and do a lot of dreaming. :)

Registered
Happy, Apricot Standard Superstar
Hello Happy's Dad!

Thanks for your 2 cents!

What's the name of the online school that you found?

Paragon would run around $1000 per level, you could take 3 levels.

I have plenty of time to think about this as retirement will hopefully happen next year.

For now, I just spend my time brushing and combing and brushing and combing... lol. Toss is an eye and ear cleaning in and there and do a lot of dreaming. :)
It's been a while since my search and I've since forgotten which couple of schools stood out. I'm living in South Korea so my search results are different. Sorry, I wish I could have offered more help.

Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
Unless you want to groom professionally and/or can't handle the thought of your dog looking anything less than perfectly groomed, I would say just grab a set of clippers and have at it. Decades ago, I had done some grooming when I worked at vet clinics, but hadn't groomed a Poodle in thirty years when I got Simon last May. I figured there would be times when he looked like he'd tangled with a WeedEater and lost, but as the saying goes, the difference between a bad groom and a good groom is about eight weeks. He's looking pretty decent at the moment.

2022-9-8 Dogs DSC_6635 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

Registered
Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL!!!! I'm so glad you took a photo and shared it! Now I know what I'm in for. lol.

Honestly, for the first rodeo, I think it's pretty good! I'm expecting worse for my first time.

You have come a long way! Congrats! Thanks for the inspiration!

Registered
We even attempted a Royal Dutch clip this past winter. I stripped him down with a 10 blade (everything but the tail floof went) when we were in coat change hell, and this was just a few months later. I'm going to let him grow out from this last groom so that I can do it again this winter.

2021-12-16 Simon & See-See DSC_6753 CPC Melancholic by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW!! You did an amazing job!!! I love it!

One of my favorite trims is the Town and Country! Expensive to have done but the last grooming that Timber got before he started going down hill (with DM) he had his first and sadly, last TC. He can no longer tolerate the time and standing involved with that clip. Damn, he was stunning in it! Now, all they do is bath, shave him down and they don't "finish" him anymore except the topknot and tail.

My mom use to have the TC done on her female teacup poo. CUTE AS ALL GET OUT! But personally, I think it's a bit masculine for my females.

The one thing my groomer won't do for some reason are those little V cuts at the base of the tail, on neck/chest and do they do that behind the head as well? I don't know what they're called but I think it's very fancy... lol. Gives a bit of extra summin summin to the groom :)

Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
Do you do touch up grooming in between grooms? If yes you probably already have most of the equipment. I only do touch ups between grooms. If I wanted to do full grooms, I'd need to add a couple of scissors, a heavy duty trimmer, and an HV dryer.

Registered
Tyler
I love this idea, but with some tweaks that would help home groomers as opposed to folks that want to groom professionally.

After a bit of googling I found this 5 hour on-line course for a mere $197. She's seems quite qualified, and works on poodles for some of her demonstrations, so it might be helpful. https://www.primpawsgroomingacademy.com/beginners-online-grooming-course/

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the basics and a pair of bad a&# clippers that I used to shave down my Chow Chow, probably need a new blade at this point but that's easy. I have a Kenchii Flash and a couple of shears from my old cosmology days and an old metal comb and slickers that I had from my first born poodle!

Only problem I still have is a have a 1 year old that the groomer says is amazing on a grooming table. Well she isn't amazing around here when I'm trying to brush her.... lol.

All in good time, unfortunately I'm still working 7 days a week :(

Registered
I worked at a grooming salon/boarding kennel many years ago. I started as a bather and moved up to doing some haircuts. I can do a cocker cut, schnauzer cut, strips, Teddy bear face etc. Grooming other people's dogs is a whole different can of worms than grooming your own. Dogs trying to bite, hating the dryer, hating baths, Pooping in the cage and smearing it all over, pooping when you are drying them and getting poop all over themselves when you are so close to done and having to re-bathe. Dogs struggling while you are working with very sharp objects, dogs that lick the blades on the clipper...it goes on and on. I really didn't enjoy it like I did doing my own well behaved dogs. I ended up being the shop manager and ran the boarding kennel and the grooming, but didn't actually get to finish training. I would try to find a groomer that is willing to come to your house and teach you on your own dog.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you Mischief!

I enjoyed your story!

I have always thought being a groomer for a living would be a nightmare! They work their tails of and many of them have mean/misbehaving clients or dogs that just have to go to the bathroom, NOW! lol

When Timber goes which is very often because it's so hard on him. I believe the shave him dirty (it takes 2 groomers) its just easier and quicker on him. All they finish is his top knot and tail. I am forever grateful for my groomers for their dedication, kindness and patience.

I'll get through it one or another when that time comes. Latte will be my victim... lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts