Poodle Forum banner

Grooming Raffi

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Starvt 
#1 ·
I got my new clippers a few days ago and used them for the first time today! I had already purchased the set of metal comb attachments (Wahl brand, can be used with any brand blade) because I like longer fur but have no practice at scissoring.
I ended up getting a KM2 since it was half the price of my other choice, the Oster A5, which is what I use at work (vet clinic). The KM2 came with a 10 blade and I had also purchased a 30 blade.
I just did a trim around his back half, his hips were getting too fluffy lol.
The clippers worked great, they are fairly light and have a long cord. Although they are a bit louder than the Osters they don't vibrate much at all.
I'm planning to do face and feet in a couple days and will try these as well as my current no name cordless that I have been using for that til now.

(Edit to say, it's not letting me post pictures right now. Will add once I figure it out)

#3 ·

These are before, having been bathed and brushed and dried about 90%. Currently I only have a hand held dryer, I don't think Raffi is ready for a force dryer yet.
Don't mind his awkward stance, he kept trying to sit down. He is used to being able to just lie down most of the time since I had only done fft so far. Oh plus I had made an attempt on his waist about a month ago with my cordless clippers and plastic combs, needless to say that did not work out at all and I attempted to scissor it to even it out. That's why his tuckup is so obvious in the side profile.

These are after. I used a 30 blade with the 1" comb over his hind legs, the 3/4" for his bellyband/ waist and between his hips, and then the 7/8" to blend the two and to blend his waist into his jacket (I'm trying to slowly acclimatize my family to a more poodley cut lol. It's working so far, they like this one). I definitely have some touching up to do, I think I need to use the 7/8 or even the 3/4 a little lower on his thighs.

Apparently the best side views are taken when exhausted from an outing lol. This was a few days later.

#4 ·
Raffi looks awesome?! I too only have a hand held dryer for Sisko.
It didn't work because of the combs being plastic? I've only used the metal combs on Sisko, but I was lucky enough to get used clippers from Sisko's breeder after she upgraded. I think his tuckup looks good?.

I'm glad your family likes it!? Lol true! Raffi looks so good and I think you did a good job on him! I clip Sisko myself, but it never looks very well or even.

#7 ·
That last photo is so cute with him sleeping next to the couch. He’s adorable and you did a good job with his grooming.

Reactions: Starvt
#8 ·
Raffi is SO cute. My heart. I have a soft spot for fluffy black poos. Grooming your own dog is tiring but I’m having fun learning. I just used the wahl SS guide combs on my dog’s body for the first time recently and they are pretty awesome. I suppose if I groomed dogs for my job I might not be as excited to do my own! I appreciate that you shared the tools and comb lengths you used and the pics of your result. I think it’s such helpful info for novice home groomers like me. Did you shave with or against the grain of his hair?

#12 ·
Raffi got his second full(ish) groom today! In between I had just been doing fft.
I used the longest comb (E) on a 30 blade, all over his rear legs, the back of his front legs, and his body from mid-chest back. I didn't want to take any off the front of his chest, so I attempted to blend from his shoulders to his body with some clipper skimming and scissors. Don't laugh too hard please lol.
For his head- I read and watched a bunch of ideas for the topknot. I thought I would clip it with the longest comb, but after using it for his body I decided it would be way too short. When it came down to it, I scissored a tiny bit and then panicked and just stopped. Oh well he will just need to have bands again.
I used a 10 blade to touch up his tail base, neck, and face- I shaved off his moustache for the first time since we got him ??. And the 30 blade for his feet.
This is before:

And after:

#15 ·
Update on grooming! And aren't I happy that I have been doing this all along, as I would have to now anyways with all the groomers closed! At 8months old his coat is starting to change I think. Not that it is getting matted, but the longer parts are wavy and floofy while the areas I have clipped shorter are dense and curled. He was looking a bit patchy 😆.
Here is a few days before:

Very shaggy! I forgot to take a picture after bath/dry/brush, he was a shapeless poof lol.
Here is after:

(Not a great shot with the cupboard squashing his tail, I was just happy to get a stand-stay while crouching to take the picture)

What I used:
30 blade on paws and nose/ lips. 10 blade against the grain for the rest of the face. I am growing out his moustache again. 10 blade also for base of tail and sanitary.
I use the 40 blade under the clip-on combs. #1 (1/2") for back half of body (against the grain) and upper thighs (with the grain), down to approx knee on outer and front sides, down to nearly hock on inner and back of legs. Blended by 'skimming'.
Comb A (3/4") for the neck, from the back of the head to where a loose collar sits, and to a point on the chest. Also used on the armpits, bottom of chest, backs of upper front legs.
Comb E (1") for the jacket, with the grain.
I had used the E to trim his topknot a few weeks ago, today I tidied a little bit with scissors. And a bit of scissoring to beaten up the edge of the jacket.
Any tips on how to get a straight, crisp edge on the jacket and placement of it are welcome!!

#16 ·
Lookin good, Raffi! It definitely is one small relief when you’ve been grooming at home all along and have the tools and a little confidence in it during these times.
It’s so funny how they look after a bath and blow dry when the hair starts to get long!
I have read that using a 40 blade under steel guards risks breaking teeth off the blade?
As always, thanks for sharing pics and specific details!

#19 ·
Thank you for clearing that up! I am planning on buying a second blade but can’t decide if I want another 10 so I have a backup blade or get a 30 to more thoroughly groom the feet and between the toe pads. I don’t mind the tops of her feet done with a 10, but between the toes is a different story. The wahl steel combs are heaven sent since you don’t have to worry about blades burning the skin so easily.
I need to groom Ms Lacey. She’s suddenly going through extreme coat change and is going to be “pruned” much shorter in the near future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.