Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My brother and I got standard poodle puppies from the same litter. Mine is scheduled for his first grooming now that he’s 16 weeks old and has his vaccinations. I wanted to have him trimmed kind of short because he plays on our farm and gets filthy, with little green burrs stuck all over him!! My brother heard that you shouldn’t trim them short until their adult coat comes in. Is that true? I don’t want to mess up his future coat by cutting it now. I’m a first time poodle mom. Thank you for your advice!!

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Best to get puppy used to grooming. I wasn't really attentive to the need to train on this early. Now I have a monster when I groom him :devilish: Start early, groom often and I agree that it should not affect puppy's adult coat.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

Third for calling malarkey on grooming, bathing, clipping, combing, blow drying, any of that being bad for the poodle coat or the poodle :)
My boys came from a breeder who didn't bother to start acclimating them to grooming and then my husb "thought they were too young" and "liked the fluffy look". I'm the one having to deal with the full grooming now, tho I 've come to really like trying my hand.

My Hedgehog and Wooly Mammoth before their (finally!!) first clip. (I've always done the bathing, brushing, combing)

Less fur More handsome :)

Really cute boy! What's his name?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi and welcome. What a cutie!
I believe it does the opposite. I clipped diva short a few times when a young puppy and this is her coat now

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

Third for calling malarkey on grooming, bathing, clipping, combing, blow drying, any of that being bad for the poodle coat or the poodle :)
My boys came from a breeder who didn't bother to start acclimating them to grooming and then my husb "thought they were too young" and "liked the fluffy look". I'm the one having to deal with the full grooming now, tho I 've come to really like trying my hand.

My Hedgehog and Wooly Mammoth before their (finally!!) first clip. (I've always done the bathing, brushing, combing)
View attachment 467463

Less fur More handsome :)
View attachment 467464

Really cute boy! What's his name?
I love a good grooming transformation. Great job they look fabulous!

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Poodle puppies should be groomed at a very young age. The breeders will do it around 4-6 weeks and by the time they go home, they should have been groomed 2-3 times. If there is a breed on earth that needs to handle itself for grooming, it’s gotta be the poodle !

Start now and do it often to make up for lost time. Grooming a monster is a true pain and everyone hates doing it...

Your dog looks like a merle to me. Do you know what colors the parents were ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poodle puppies should be groomed at a very young age. The breeders will do it around 4-6 weeks and by the time they go home, they should have been groomed 2-3 times. If there is a breed on earth that needs to handle itself for grooming, it’s gotta be the poodle !

Start now and do it often to make up for lost time. Grooming a monster is a true pain and everyone hates doing it...

Your dog looks like a merle to me. Do you know what colors the parents were ?
Mom is Merle like mine and Dad is black. Thanks for your info!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thank you everyone for your information. Here is Sparky after his first haircut. I think he can see better with the hair out of his eyes. He seems to spot squirrels and birds a lot better. He was good for the groomer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts