Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone
Our poodle was conceived!!!!!!!!!, we are expecting our boy to be born around the third week of June,......the wait is killlllllling me!!!
In the meantime I am researching everything on this beautiful breed, reading enourmous amounts of information
We will be doing the grooming ourselves, I will be taking classes, though I expect the first few cuts to probably be pretty bad, (poor guy)

My question to the many Standard Poodle experts on this sight:
What are the best clippers to purchase, the correct 'blade' sizes?, should I buy the ear powder, what is the best brand, and oh yes, combs, scissors.??
I am finding through my research that there are many different manufacturers, but what is the best??
My husband and I prefer to purchase a quality item that will last. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. We live in Ontario, Canada but can purchase from the States if necessary.
Thank you
Macker905

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Andis clippers...#40, #15, #4 blades

Scissors.... go to one of the larger dog shows and talk to a vendor. You will need straights (I like bent shank) and curves. I like 8" and 10" sizes. See what fits your budget and what feels good in your hand.

Brushes... pin brush w/ straight pins, poodle comb, greyhound comb, slicker they don't have to be expensive.

Table.... Poodle grooming needs to be done on a table.

Dryer.... I recommend a high volume blaster.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I agree with all of the above, but for a novice, I think a #40 and even a #30 are way too close. It would be very easy to clipper burn your dog if you don't know what you are doing. I would say a #10 for the tummy and bum, a #15 for the FFT and a #5 for the back. A four is a nicer finiish but doesn't always want to go through the coats of some dogs. (I even have problems sometimes with my #5!) You may want to invest in two # 15's because they can get warm, and good to be able to switch.

If you only have a dog or two that need to be blown out, why not just buy a decent little shop vac with an exhaust hole to put the hose. Does the same thing as a HV dryer, just not quite as powerfully and is nowhere near the cost. We used one in a salon I worked at for years and were happy with the job it did. One woord of caution...never use it fopr anything but drying oor it will develop odors that will make the dog smell. With any of the drying methods, jst make sure the dog is brushed to perfection prior to bathing to get the ultimate straight coat finiish when the drying is complete.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and thank you for the suggestions. I forgot to mention that we do not plan on doing any really fancy cuts, we just want to keep him looking neat, and of course he will look beautiful, because after all .........he is a Standard Poodle!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yeah I agree with Arreau, don't get a 40. If you aren't showing the dog it's not really necessary and the dog could have skin sensitivity with a 40. I use a 10 blade on my dogs and it's fine. I'd prefer a 15 but I don't have one so we make due.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
you'll get lots of great tips and info here on grooming your own poodle! congrats your new baby and welcome to the forum!! :canada: I'm in Ontario too!!

You asked about names of grooming equip; in my very limited experience I've found the Chris Christensen products are pretty top of the line... you can order them through http://www.cherrybrook.com/ and Pet Edge is a good resource as well, with tons of options... http://www.petedge.com/

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
What are nice for home groomers is an adjustable blaide clipper. Andi, Whal and Laube make these. Shop amazon and ebay, you will pay bottom dollar around $100.00.

A grooming table could be made at home if you have a crafy man in the house or an old desk - BUT this can get old, I like to adjust the height of the table.

Pin brush
Slicker brush
Good shampoo and conditioner
Ear cleaner and powder - I think they are all relatively similar.
Greyhound comb - I paid $12.00 for mine at a grooming shop.

Scissors are SO important. These will likely have to be ordered and I agree wth cbrands recommendation on these.

Visit petedge.com they have everything you need, and then start comparring prices from ebay and amazon.

The start up is not cheap if you buy quality tools, my suggestion do not skimp. You will not regret it.:) Good luck!

The shop vac idea is awesome and will save you tons. For standards buy the bigger one.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Even a standard pet trim requires all of the aforementioned equipment. :)
I agree with this. I still want my dogs cut very well. There is nothing worse than a hacked up looking coat :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I too agree that those are the minimum requirments for grooming. Think of it this way though. I pay 70$ to get my dog professionally groomed. Just grooming him myself at home 3 times has already paid for everything (full grooming and the inbetween face/feet shaves)!! More money up front, but literally thousands saved over the lifetime of your dog!!
Dont even bother wasting your money on the cheap clippers you buy at walmart or petsmart. They are crap and will Not work for a poodle coat. You have to invest in a nice set.

Check out PetEdge.com Wholesale prices on exclusive dog grooming and pet supplies for great grooming supplies.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another question

Thank you to everyone who has answered my question, the replies have been quite helpful and I have been thouroughly checking out the web-sites. I agree completely that quality matters and that spending more on a quality clipper is essential. I will be ordering from one of the sites provided on here, but I have another question(s), I will be going with a corded clipper, but I am wondering about the specifications.

What does "strokes per minute" mean (i.e. 2,500-4,500 or 3,400/4,400), what are the numbers I should look for, and

Regarding motor, some same MA-1 Magnetic, Linear Drive,
AC Motor, or Rotary, these are the ones I have come across so far. Is there one particular motor that is superior to others?

I also noticed different speeds, 1, 2 or as high as 5, which is best?

Oh boy, sorry, that is more than 1 question:scared:, but I just want to make sure I make the correct purchase.

Thank you so much to everyone for your help, I really appreciate it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts