Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to show Billy in puppy conformation and need to do the puppy show coat. I looked around my area for a professional since I am afraid to do it myself and mess it up. No one in my area has experience with the show coats so it looks like I will have to attempt it myself. I do have a good grooming book but I have to admit I am really nervous about attempting this. Right now Billy looks like a big bear and I need to get to it.

Any advice, anyone?

Her are a few pics of Billy taken a couple of days ago.

He's seriously in need of some attention!

·
Registered
744 Posts
he need alot of growth on him if you can get me a nice stacked view of him al fluffed up ill try and do what i did wih the enzo pic if you like

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yes good luck We could not find anyone local to help us until LAST week which sucks because we already cut Enzo lol But then we had to cut him some what since his first show is this Sat coming up.

The breeders who will help us are going to the PCA so they told us to contact them at the end of the month.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Billy is 6 1/2 months old. I took a really deep breath yesterday and tried the trim. I know it isn't right around the neck and ribs but didn't want to ruin it so I stopped there. I haven't gotten any pics yet as it was very late when I finished.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Billy is 6 1/2 months old. I took a really deep breath yesterday and tried the trim. I know it isn't right around the neck and ribs but didn't want to ruin it so I stopped there. I haven't gotten any pics yet as it was very late when I finished.
O ok I love how dark and rich his eyes are.
I will email Terry to see if he knows anyone in VT to help. I contacted so many people over the course of 4months and no one responded until last week like I said. It was becoming frustrating !

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
He's really cute and I like his straight front and length on his legs. Cant wait to see him in a show clip.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Please check out my website for some basic show grooming information (I show toy poodles and standard poodles in California. I now focus on toy poodles exclusively. Do you have a stand dryer as his coat looks like to was not dried properly.

There are a couple of really good poodle grooming books on the market. One is "Poodle Grooming and Clipping." FULL of GREAT information!

Good luck!
Brandon

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, no. These pics were taken a few days after the grooming. I don't have a stand dryer. I use my hairdryer and I do blow him straight, check for knots with a comb, and then brush him with a slicker brush. I scissor his coat and use a number 10 on his face, tail, and feet. He is lovely when he is finished!

I'll check out you web site.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Spoospirit - I was told by Guenna's breeder that she needs at least 12" on top of her head. I was in shock but determined to get there. My first suggestion would be no more slicker on ANY head/ear hair. Get a good 2" pin brush. Also invest in a force dryer (less than $100 usually). With a spoo you will save a lot of time and energy if you can get the bulk of the dry done quickly.

Here's a pic when she was 7mo. (She made the mistake of waking me up at 2a & I put her up for the 1st time LOL)

Good Luck with him... He is darned cute!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Just did a search to learn what grooming equipment I should have on hand before getting my poodle and found this post. So helpful, everyone. And, Brandon, your website is wonderful. Loved the grooming and show grooming sections. I've bookmarked your site to help in the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts