Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just heard something very concerning to me. I have an acquaintance that is learning how to groom for a local business.

She told me that they "practice" grooming on dogs, such as poodles/doodles before giving them the requested haircut. Which means, they keep the dog for a long time, put him/her through alot of grooming...and she told me, the owners or not aware.

I am not sure if this is true or not, but Sammy's groomers always seem to want me to drop him off early. They keep him for around three hours....is my dog getting used as a practice? I understand that new groomers need the experience, but I'd like to know if my dog was being used for this purpose. Grooming isn't easy for him.

Have any of you heard of this?

BTW, I never drop him off early and call after 3 hrs. to see how he is doing. Does it take 3 hrs. to groom your tpoo?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
It takes me 3+ hours to groom Misha for sure, so I could see it taking that long for a tpoo. I have heard of grooming schools doing this. It is also something I would not want for my own dog. But I do know it is done to teach rarer breed clips when they cannot get dogs to practice.

·
Administrator
14,865 Posts

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,724 Posts
For my toys it takes no more than a hours to do a longer groom, that is bath, dry and clip, I don't heavily scissor.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
4,658 Posts
Elroy's (Standard) grooming takes about 4 hrs elapsed time. He's not being groomed the whole time. He waits for his turn after he arrives. Then he gets a break between each segment of grooming. She texts me when she's ½ hour from done. Then I drive to go get him. Not sure exactly how it all takes place, but I know he gets lots of breaks during the process. The shorter the cut, the quicker the grooming goes.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Bobby our Standard takes 3 hours when professionally groomed and Joey our mini takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours. They are professional groomers with years of experience. They also work alone. Both of my boys get very basic, short cuts. I also brush and comb them the day before so no knots or anything like that to deal with. While perhaps a bit long for a toy, 3 hours doesn’t seem totally unreasonable, depending upon different variables such as number dogs, groomer experience, type of cut…

·
Premium Member
Standard poodle; African Grey Parrot
237 Posts
Rhonda is at the groomers for about 3 hours. I'm sure she isn't being groomed that long and I don't know if someone is being trained. Fine with me if they work that way. You have to learn some way. I get a call 30 minutes before she's ready. They usually do a very good job.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Many owners are under the impression that when they drop their dog off for grooming, that the groomer they booked works on their dog the entire time. In groom shops I have worked at, a bather takes the dog and bathes and dries the dog. Sometimes there is a waiting period between the bath and dry. If the dog is very matted it will be "roughed in" before the bath. Sometimes this is done by the groomer and sometimes by the bather depending on the difficulty of the cut or pattern. After the dog is dry, it is put in a cage until the groomer is ready for it. The groomer will be working on either roughing in other dogs, or finishing other dogs. In my experience a groomer will often have 4 dogs they are juggling at once and all are in different steps of their groom. 3 hours is very normal of a time for it to take at a groom shop where many dogs are in at once. I now use a mobile groomer who comes to my house and only works on my dog straight through. No one else is with her so no one else touches my dog. She is done within 2 hours or less. She is a toy poodle.

·
Premium Member
7,524 Posts
When we took our girls to a privately owned shop, or to a groomer attached to a vet clinic, we dropped them off by 7-8am and were rarely called to pick them up in less than 4-6 hours.

We eventually switched to a big box pet store salon so we could bring them in at a time that worked better for us. We also hoped that by having a scheduled appointment time, they would spend less time kenneled, waiting their turn for the next step.

With our boys, since I was bathing and drying them myself before bringing them in (the manager ok'd that), their groom time was about 45m per boy, each done all in one go.

·
Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
1,296 Posts
Our groomer grooms one dog at a time and has no other dogs present. Our tpoo takes 3 hours and our spoo 4. They are given breaks during the session. Last time, we were asked if we could turn them in together, as she is training a new groomer. It was 5 hours for the both of them. She had both of them because they are used to being together and wouldn't be disturbed by each other. Otherwise she doesn't have more than one dog at a time.. Half a hour before they're done, we get a call. We pay the equivalent to 350 dollars for both together and 250 for Matteo and 150 for Luca when they are there alone.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
4,658 Posts
Many owners are under the impression that when they drop their dog off for grooming, that the groomer they booked works on their dog the entire time. In groom shops I have worked at, a bather takes the dog and bathes and dries the dog. Sometimes there is a waiting period between the bath and dry. If the dog is very matted it will be "roughed in" before the bath. Sometimes this is done by the groomer and sometimes by the bather depending on the difficulty of the cut or pattern. After the dog is dry, it is put in a cage until the groomer is ready for it. The groomer will be working on either roughing in other dogs, or finishing other dogs. In my experience a groomer will often have 4 dogs they are juggling at once and all are in different steps of their groom. 3 hours is very normal of a time for it to take at a groom shop where many dogs are in at once. I now use a mobile groomer who comes to my house and only works on my dog straight through. No one else is with her so no one else touches my dog. She is done within 2 hours or less. She is a toy poodle.
I'm pretty sure this is the way my groomers operate.

·
Super Moderator
5,504 Posts
I have let my dogs tell me how they feel about their grooming experience. I know my current groomer has multiple people in her shop; it wouldn't surprise me if she occasionally uses my boys for training. However, they hop out of the car and tow me up to the door. That tells me they aren't upset by whatever happens out of my sight.

·
Administrator
14,865 Posts
Our groomer works on one dog at a time. This was the type of groomer I sought out and the only type I’d ever use.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Kukla's groomer works on one dog at a time and does everything involved in a full groom by herself. I drop him off at his appointment time, then must pick him up 1.25 hr later when she is finished. I'm always amazed how she can complete a full groom in such a short time. She says it's because of years of experience. She does a fantastic job and Kukla loves her.

Although I understand the need for new groomers to learn, I would not want to subject my dog to a "practice" groom prior to the "real" groom.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts