Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I was planning on meeting up with a really nice lady who is also professional dog groomer and former professional handler this coming weekend. This was going to work out great because Cash would then look great for our obedience seminar on the 27th & 28th. Problem is our schedules didn't work out for this weekend and I put off buying new shears because I wanted to see what she uses before I order mine. The cheap ones I have now won't even cut hair anymore. So, I have to now decide what shears to order (am planning on going through Amazon as I have a gift certificate to there) and hope that they come in time to get Cash looking good. The other problem is deciding how to clip him. I was going to have her put him in a HCC, but I don't think I want to tackle that myself right before he'll be going out in public.

Would I be dumb to do the clipper work on him this weekend and wait till I get my new scissors next week to do the scissoring? He'd have to be re bathed and dryed to do the scissoring later, right?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sometimes I clip my dogs down and do scissoring a different day. Just last week I did it actually. I left Londons from legs super long and messy looking it was actually cute! LOL

I don't really have advice on the shears to get or haircut though. I am doing lamb/sporting clips on my two. Crest/slope and lamb legs etc.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
if I were coming to visit you, I would actually prefer seeing your dog in its RAW state....except totally clean, dematted and brushed out. THEN let the lady have a good look over and make recommendations. If you do a half job and try to fix it then explain and go on and on, she might not want to take your dog as a client....however if she can see his coat is immaculate, altho long, it might make a very good impression on her. She will truly see that you will benefit by her services....and I know from experience, if I have to "fix" it, I'll charge you more.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if I were coming to visit you, I would actually prefer seeing your dog in its RAW state....except totally clean, dematted and brushed out. THEN let the lady have a good look over and make recommendations. If you do a half job and try to fix it then explain and go on and on, she might not want to take your dog as a client....however if she can see his coat is immaculate, althogh long, it might make a very good impression on her. She will truly see that you will benefit by her services....and I know from experience, if I have to "fix" it, I'll charge you more.
I understand what you are saying. The plan had been for me to bath blow dry and do feet. She was going to do the rest. This was pretty much the only weekend I had available for a couple months as I work weekdays and my kids start soccer in April. The weekend of the 27th is an obedience seminar I'm entered in and am taking Cash. So since I don't know when our schedules will line up again (it could be months) I'm going to do the best job I can with him.
I'm going to groom him to the best of my ability, I've ordered a straight and curved pair of shears and hopefully they will arrive before next Friday.

Since he won't be in conformation, I'm thinking about taking him short, or at least shorter than he is now. He has about 5" on his body right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts