Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... any one whose seen my previous threads will know I adopted a little poodle from the shelter who was extremely sick.. well now he is a lot better but still infectious - for at least 30 days the vet says.

My problem is the little fellow STINKS and is matted and generally unkept with uneven hair (even a few holes)... I am sure he would feel better if I could groom him a bit...the vet says its ok to get him wet but we cannot go to the groomers due to the risk of spreading disease...

Any grooming tips for a total novice like me? And any cost efficient grooming tools etc. We cant spend much as we already spent all our money on his emergency care!!!

Tips for getting matts out especially welcome.... and what kind of scissors could I use nail scissors or are a special type needed?

Thanks so much for any advice!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The professional groomers would probably be a better resource, but I can give a few tips. My Maltese was really matted/dirty when I adopted him. I didn't want to put him through the stress of going to a grooming shop, so I DIY'd it. I put him in the tub and doused him with conditioner. I think I used suave, but any thin hair conditioner would work. W/o using any water, I slowly worked out most of the mats. Bailey was very patient about it and I wouldn't have done it if he had seemed stressed. After all the mats were out, I washed and rinsed him really well. Unfortunately his hair was so damaged (yellow and brittle) that I ended up clipping him anyway. Being mat free and clean made the clipping go much faster, though. Do you have good clippers? You can try clipping under the mats but it's harder and the dirt is damaging to the blades. If you're using petclippers (they don't have removable blades) this is really bad. Can they groom him at the vets? Or maybe you could have a housecall groomer come to your home? (The latter may still be a concern b/c he's infectious.) Good luck with him!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks that's really helpful re the washing.... he still has shelter smell!!! i have horse clippers and human clippers but not dog ones... I think he is too infectious for a home groomer to want to come sadly.... I am going to try and slicker him then use the suave and see what remains I think!!! The shelter did clip him but not v well... poor thing looks awful as well as being ill he had an operation on his back foot for foxtails so that was shaved then when he was sick they had to shave both his front paw for the iv as well!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You could use your horse clippers but make sure you disinfect the blades before using again or just get rid of them. The mats are very uncomfortable so shaving him down will probably be a relief for him. Don't worry about the little tight areas so much at first, just get most of the main areas cleared, then a good decent bath will help.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Call and ask around maybe a groomer would be willing to come into your home and groom him, or talk to the vet. Many vets have groomers there that could do it on a one on one type thing without exposing him to other dogs.

While I don't mind giving grooming advice I generally think for the safety of the dog it's better to have in person instruction and someone to show you what to do because it's very easy to hurt a dog with the sharp blades and shears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks... no-one will come out and even the vets does not want to... even when we visit the vet we have to enter through a separate door into a room just for us and then its immediately disinfected... vet will clip of all hair but not equipped to groom or wash in that room.... apparently....tried a couple of other vets who also would not touch him due to risk of infection as grooming areas are used by several dogs at once.... I have slickered him and washed him and its much better.... may just have to cut the lumps out and put up with an odd look until his 30 days of solitude are over!!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hey, do what you can to make him comfortable for now. It's just hair, it grows back. I'm glad you were able to make some progress. I hope his health problems clear up!

·
Registered
875 Posts
explain your situation to a few groomers, ask them if they have clippercide, to sanitize their blades, and let them know that whatever he has is very contageous, but he needs to be taken care of. It will cost more, but a mobile groomer is your best bet, since he wouldnt be exposed to other dogs, and other dogs wouldnt be exposed to him. a mobile groomer who would be willing to bring equipment into your house would be ideal, that way they dont have to completly scrub down their van afterward. If you arent sure about clipping him yourself, I wouldnt, you dont want to risk cutting him, and washing him as is will only make the matts worse, and possibly irritate his skin.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I wonder if you offered to buy your own clippers, etc. and have a mobile groomer come and use your equipment but do the grooming themselves?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Souds like you have a highly infectious viral like pravo or distemper. Which in that case you are right no one will help you so you are on your own. Glad to hear you pup made it thru the worst of it.

If you can get some dog conditioner made for matting and leave it on while brushing you might be able to get alot of the mattes out. Be generous with it more is better here for it will help the matts release.

Any tools you use will have to bit treated with bleach or a viralcide like Quatricide PV. The bad three have a high resistance so you will want to wash down everything where pup has been to protect any other animals in the near future.

I wish you the best of luck. I know how hard it is for I have been there myself with a pup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts