Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to keep Renn's ears on the longer side. One time I noticed them starting to mat but as I pretty much comb them out each night I have stayed on top of it and did have the groomer thin them 1x. Last night I noticed big mats on both of his ears so I slowly brushed and combed them out. It must have taken a good hour or more. I think it happened because he wore that cone a few nights . What is the proper technique for keeping the ears mat free. His fur is quite thick on his ears and while I think I have combed thru when you actually finger the hair you may find mats starting.

·
Premium Member
22,959 Posts
Aside from keeping up with combing it is best to get the dog to wear a snood when they eat. Javelin does, but Lily won't and her ears have gotten shorter and shorter over the time they have eaten home cooked food.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
After brushing, I follow with the buttercomb so I know that I haven’t left behind any potential mats forming near the ear leather.

I prefer to keep Babykins ears a shorter so they don’t quite touch the food on her plate or bowl. I trim every two weeks so her ears are long and look balanced to her face and body.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Keeping Zoe's ear feathering clean is a project. I would like to keep it wrapped, but she hates wraps and pulls them off - along with some hair. So I have resorted to using a single rubber band about an inch below the ear leather.

For mats, I use Cowboy Magic. Zoe almost never has mats, though, because I line brush at least every other day. If you are having frequent mats behind the ears, be sure your dog does not have an ear problem - mites, a tick, or an infection.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the mats are not behind the ear, its kind of in the middle. I comb the outside then the inside and it looks like there is no mat but when you finger thru it there you go you find it hidden between he outside hair and inside hair thinking you went thru b y combing both sides. I guess I have to adapt a line brushing to the ears in order to get thru them. It hasn't been oo bad until this past week but I'm going to blame the cone, which we have now ditched.. He has also decided he no longer likes his crate so I've spent the past 3 days with him attached to me but today he earned free time in the house. He was fairly good about staying occupied. Later he will have to go in the crate while I go shopping and of course at night. I want him in there t night as when I get up in the morning I take care of the other 3 dogs, cats, and then Renn. He is last after that he can be free.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Gigi’s ears matt easy too and they have gotten so short and bad looking cause they are always getting in her water and food bowl. Samson for some reason chews his right ear super super short right up to the leather and it upsets me cause his ears are so thick and beautiful if he wouldn’t chew the one ear till there’s a huge chunk missing and I have to cut them short just so they look even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Iris chewed on her ears when she was a kiddo so I took them short. I liked them that way so we kept them short the rest of her life.

Poppy has long ears and during coat change they matted horribly, near the edges of the ear leather. I used cornstarch to comb and brush through the mats. Once coat change was over we haven't had that problem since.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I keep my spoos ears shorter. Otherwise when he eats wet food or drinks water his ear hair gets wet and mats. Not fun. It is much easier to keep them both clean and adorably fluffy if they are shorter.

·
Registered
419 Posts
How do you keep them "fluffy"? Rudy's got a lot of wave to his ears and pretty much everywhere, even between his eyes! I brush him every day but can't seem to get that full look unless it is immediately after a bath. It isn't that he doesn't have the hair, he's a fur factory, but I sure would love to know a trick to making that ear hair fluff out more!

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is how Renn's ears pretty much stay all the time, not that fluffy but they are pretty thick with fur.

F96F43B1-6FFB-4C92-8D58-E6F1E39CDFD3.JPG

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have discovered that hair conditioner causes my spoo's hair to flatten more. So we use earthbath shampoo, and no conditioner.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Charleeann6 said “See, that's how I wish I could get Rudy's ears to fluff out! Maybe I'm not brushing them right?”

If you fluff dry them, they may be a bit more fluffy. But I do know some dogs that just don’t have great ear fluff so it may just be how his are. If you post a pic we could see more. Luna’s ears were super long when showing then when I clipped them short (straight across the bottom) they were pretty fluffy. Then I took them the same length all over and they are still pretty fluffy but she has thick hair. Sometimes trimming off dead stringy hair will add a lot of volume to the ears. I will post a few pics to show the different styles that Luna has had recently.

Mufar that pic that you just posted kind of looks like Renn has some little stringy dreadlock type matts. Too hard to tell from the photo but if you could post another photo showing exactly where he matts that might help. For Luna I kept her ears banded and wrapped when they were super long. Then by using brushing or dematting spray, a slicker, then a comb through them (making sure to get all the way to the leather) they stayed matt free for the most part.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts