Poodle Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Food elimination is HARD!! After a lot of confusion, I've finally discovered that Annie is sensitive to both chicken and fish - but ONLY if they are "fish meal" "chicken meal" etc, in a dog food. She throws up any food with too much fish, and is quite gassy with chicken meal. She's completely fine with cooked or raw chicken even in large quantities, or canned fish, or dried fish treats. I feed Acana Classic Red, and also had success with Taste of the Wild Puppy (the red meat one). I'm trying really hard not to convince myself I shouldn't switch her to homecooked food. I've been spoiling her with cooked veggies + canned food as a reward for taking her medicine, and her digestion has improved. She's from multi generations of raw-fed poodles, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.
Yo are so right! I keep hearing about the benefits of raw food but our daughter has a licensed daycare that we drive an hour to help out and visit (so have to take Poodle) Regulations bar contact with animals fed a raw food diet when you work with toddlers or elderly, so we can't try it. I am thinking I will try boiled vegetables

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yo are so right! I keep hearing about the benefits of raw food but our daughter has a licensed daycare that we drive an hour to help out and visit (so have to take Poodle) Regulations bar contact with animals fed a raw food diet when you work with toddlers or elderly, so we can't try it. I am thinking I will try boiled vegetables

Would home cooked work? I do occasionally feed raw (in her crate only), but I would be more inclined to do home cooked food than raw, because I have a weak immune system. For veggies, I use frozen veggies that I defrost in the microwave (currently using up some freezer burnt "Thai Stirfry Mix"). They are already blanched when they manufacturer makes them, so precooked. My mom buys frozen chicken chubs and cooks them in loaf pans for her yorkie, then slices and freezes. I imagine you could do the same with frozen pork, beef, etc. There was a study somewhere on line that showed that lightly cooked meat was as digestable as raw, and far more digestable than meal.

·
Super Moderator
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Honestly I think I have reached that point of frustration! Poor Poodle! Nothing but chewing feet and itching here. Finally got the runny poop issue solved with $100/bag premium organic duck and no gluten food. Still struggling with the skin and feet

That's how Peggy reacted for a week after I fed her a cooked egg. It was a nightmare for her and very hard to watch. I'm so sorry. Just awful.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I had a problem with my white Spoo with both eye goop and itchiness after going to the groomers for months. I finally looked for the healthiest shampoo I could find. I now use Earthbath unscented, and absolutely no whiteners and no conditioner. He is now absolutely fine, except when I forget to take his Earthbath shampoo with me to the groomers. Then problems once again.

I feel so guilty. He had a grooming appointment today and I forgot it. They assured me thay had an all natural shampoo unscented. We shall see.

·
Super Moderator
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I had a problem with my white Spoo with both eye goop and itchiness after going to the groomers for months. I finally looked for the healthiest shampoo I could find. I now use Earthbath unscented, and absolutely no whiteners and no conditioner. He is now absolutely fine, except when I forget to take his Earthbath shampoo with me to the groomers. Then problems once again.

I feel so guilty. He had a grooming appointment today and I forgot it. They assured me thay had an all natural shampoo unscented. We shall see.
That's funny, as I currently have that exact product in my Chewy cart! Was trying to decide whether or not to hit the buy button.

I'm so happy to hear it works for you....when you remember it. ;)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
So, did you hit the button? If so I will be so interested to see if it helps! I will not even take my Spoo to a place anymore that uses perfumes, etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So, did you hit the button? If so I will be so interested to see if it helps! I will not even take my Spoo to a place anymore that uses perfumes, etc.
Yep! I ordered it.....and added a flirt pole because I have no self-control when I'm on that dang website.

Her next grooming appointment is on the 22nd, so we should know by the 24th if this particular poodle puzzle has been solved. Will report back! Paws and fingers crossed!

In the meantime, I gave her a water-only bath tonight to try and wash away any residue.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yep! I ordered it.....and added a flirt pole because I have no self-control when I'm on that dang website.

Her next grooming appointment is on the 22nd, so we should know by the 24th if this particular poodle puzzle has been solved. Will report back! Paws and fingers crossed!

In the meantime, I gave her a water-only bath tonight to try and wash away any residue.
Misha adores his flirt pole!

·
Super Moderator
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Misha adores his flirt pole!
Yay! I've never had one before. Really don't actually have the faintest clue what to do with it. ? But Peggy's toys have been no match lately for her baby brain and adult chompers, so I figured it might be a good alternative to chew toys.

How silly do I feel for ever uttering the words, "My puppy's not much of a chewer."

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Unfortunately just water seldom washes away all the chemicals in shampoos or conditioners or the perfumes, but hopefully it will at least help. I hope you ordered an unscented Earthbath product for dear sweet Peggy, and that it works well :)

·
Super Moderator
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Unfortunately just water seldom washes away all the chemicals in shampoos or conditioners or the perfumes, but hopefully it will at least help. I hope you ordered an unscented Earthbath product for dear sweet Peggy, and that it works well :)
I got the mildest one I could find:

It's fragrance-free, with very few ingredients, but I was warned in another thread that aloe could cause an allergic reaction, so I'm not 100% optimistic.

And you're right - water doesn't do much, and her very thick coat is extremely hard to penetrate, especially while leaning over a bathtub. I so wish I had a walk-in shower with a handheld attachment.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I got the mildest one I could find:

It's fragrance-free, with very few ingredients, but I was warned in another thread that aloe could cause an allergic reaction, so I'm not 100% optimistic.

And you're right - water doesn't do much, and her very thick coat is extremely hard to penetrate, especially while leaning over a bathtub. I so wish I had a walk-in shower with a handheld attachment.
I hope that one works for you.

I’m washing Babykins in a bathtub with a shower head. Many years ago I switched the basic shower head out for a combo shower head + handheld (easy to dyi) then when I got my poodle I bought an extra long hose attachment and changed that part so I have a hose long enough to get under my dog and to her feet. It’s the same hose attachment they sell people for washing someone sitting in a chair in the shower. Very handy and completely DYI. I’ve done this in rentals too, just kept the original shower head to screw back on when we left. My dog also has a very thick coat, but I have no trouble rinsing. I do have trouble getting her coat wet at the beginning of the shower until there’s sufficient detergent on her, but rinsing is easy, just takes time.

Rinsing is so important when you have a sensitive dog because dried shampoo left on the skin can be irritating.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I have used Nature's Specualties products for 26 yrs. my groomer uses them in her shop and they don't contain a lot of harsh chemicals, and the fragrances are mild and not overpowering. I use the Almond Crisp shampoo....dilute 1 oz shampoo to 32 oz water. It cleans well without being harsh and never any eye irritation. They also make one called Hypo Aloe Genic. I have used their Coat Conditioner product, but not very often. The Almond crisp shampoo leaves her coat in great shape and I don't really feel the need to condition it. As far as food is concerned, Purina Pro Plan makes a very nice Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula, eith salmon or lamb. Many people are successful with those foods. I feed Pro Plan Sport with great success. Go to Walmart and get a bottle of Sensitive Eye Saline solution for humans.....it does not have preservatives and other junk in it. My vet recommends flushing eyes with that. Colorado is very dry and dusty and I often flush Poppy's eyes after she plays hard, just to remove dust and grit ...seems to work for us. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I never considered a human eye rinse! Thank you! I was just going to tell the groomer to use plain water for now.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts