Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I cleared up the fleas from my dogs (I realized they got because of me grooming my sister-in-law's dog) and then I groomed my sister-in-law's other dog which had fleas and ticks.:doh: This Sunday I groomed a humane society dog that had the same issue. I don't think I'm going to want to groom dogs in my house if I'm going to be spreading fleas and ticks to myself and my family. My dogs are protected but WE aren't! I saw a flea on my arm this afternoon and then noticed where I've been bitten 4 times on that arm. I am going to freak out so I need to solve this problem asap.

Those of you that groom from your home, how do you keep your home from being raided by fleas from clients?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I groom in my garage, my dogs dont really go in the garage, but I spray the doorway, and myself when I am done grooming a flea ridden dogs, as well as the pile of hair I sweep up with a aresol spray for fleas like raid

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use to groom in my home, my clients never had fleas but I once rescued a dog that was brought to me for grooming he had SO MANY FLEAS that was the only time I've ever had fleas.

My only advice is to not groom dogs that have fleas or make sure you groom in your kitchen where there is no carpet, and vacuum the hair up immediately and put it in the garbage outside.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You can require all "flea" dogs to be treated with a capstar prior to being brought in. This will kill the fleas on the dog, even if you still see some living ones, they will die and not reproduce if they jump off the dog while in your home.

Another way you can eliminate a flea problem in your home is to treat your carpeting and under your furniture cushions with borax. This is a much safer, less toxic way to eliminate pests in your home, than using harmful pesticides.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to be buying Diatomaceous Earth to treat the home and yard. I used Borax last time and it worked very well and I treated the dogs with Comfortis but I think the Comfortis made Mia ill so I'm not comfortable with using that on her again. The Diatomaceous Earth can be used on the dogs and in their food to protect against tapeworm and from flea infestations.

The thing with volunteering with the humane society is that they don't have a regular groomer and they barely have enough people to wash dogs much less dip them. I know that fleas got in our van transporting the dog to our house so our van has to be treated now as well. I have left over Borax so I will have my husband spread that out in there and leave it for a few days. I want to do something good but it just seems like I put all of us in the risk catagory for this if I keep it up. Not only do we risk bug infestations but I risk my pet's health if these other dogs are bringing in sicknesses to the house. I'm thinking I might be able to just take the table and equipment out there and do the dogs instead of bring them home.

·
Registered
575 Posts
DE works great and I should have thought of that :doh: Just make sure it's the FOOD grade if you are going to use it around your dogs and wear a dust mask when you put it down and vacuum it up, as it can cause respiratory problems if you breath it in.

Doing the dogs at the shelter would be the ticket to keep the bugs at bay in your home :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I think that's what I'm going to have to do from now on. I will buy a "tack box" and just swing by there. They have a raised tub so that will keep the stuff out of my tub and I can take my table out there.

Thing is that other people that have wanted me to groom their dogs bring their dogs to me with fleas. My sister-in-law's dog had ticks and fleas and since I wasn't prepared for that I didn't have the right shampoo. It wouldn't matter anyway because it takes one pregnant flea to infest my entire house. I don't get where her shih tzu gets ticks! Thank goodness my dogs are on comfortis because anything that gets on them dies when it bites them but it doesn't last forever.

On the DE, the website I want to buy from is this one.
How Diatomaceous Earth works - Earthworks Health
Everything on their site is food grade and reasonably priced. Would I get a mask that a person would use for treating the yard with pesticides, like at Home Depot?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
There's pretty much no fleas in utah.. unless you bring a dog here that has fleas. A coworker's girlfriend moved here from cali and brought her dog, the coworker was grooming her dog today and was worried about sores she found on him, then she found fleas on him. Her girlfriends dog from cali brought fleas to her dogs.. and Vegas was in the salon today when she had all three of her dogs there. x_x So I don't even know what to do! I'm going to give him a flea bath tomorrow just in case.

If I were you I'd flea bomb EVERYTHING! Though I'm super paranoid, rofl. I got the heebeejeebies just seeing the flea roaming around my coworkers lhasa. If Vegas got one I'd never even see them!

Hm.. maybe you can wear those cheap flea collars around your wrists when you groom? :D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Flea dips are harsh and totally unnecessary, thank goodness. Any shampoo will work to drown the fleas, just let the dog sit wet and lathered for 10 minutes before rinsing. A lot of people use the blue Dawn dishwashing detergent. Many groomers here in FL use Ivory dishwashing soap. It really doesn't matter - the regular shampoo you use on your dog will work.

Food grade DE works great, and you can even mix some in their food as a dewormer. Be aware that it can clog and ruin your vacuum cleaner, so be sure to use a dispenser, which will evenly distribute rather than thick clumps.

If you see a flea on you, then you have a flea infestation, and will need to treat your home and your yard as well as your animals.

I frequently foster pets of families fleeing domestic violence. Before bringing the dog(s) or cat(s) home, I examine them closely for fleas/ticks. If they've got fleas, then I require a Capstar before I bring them home. Keep in mind, though, that Capstar doesn't kill the eggs (and neither does Comfortis), just the live fleas. I give the owner a flea comb, and have her go over her dog/cat thoroughly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts