Poodle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations for grooming a standard poodle for winter swimming for duck retrieving? Last year was my standard's first duck season and he swam all winter long retrieving ducks, even down to around 0°. I just grew out his entire coat starting late summer. He seemed to have no problems with it. I kept a camp towel to dry him off and a wool army blanket in the duck blind. I've been trying to read up on how they were historically groomed. I found one picture from mid 1800's from UKC. The coat was shorter in the rear and feet to allow for better agility in the water. I want to groom him any way that will keep him warm and allow him to work. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,179 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
The continental show cut is more than just a show cut. A traditional water retrieving hunting cut modified continental. You can read all about it here at this link. It makes sense to me they have hair to keep the vitals warm. I keep Dewy short clip out in the pheasant fields. If I was to use him for winter water retrieval I would probably go traditional modified continental. I'll second that louter creek info very good stuff. The Poodle Paradox: History Behind a Haircut – American Kennel Cl
Font Line Hat Adaptation Motor vehicle
Plant Flower Window Dog Building
Dog Water dog Tree Carnivore Dog breed
Photograph Dog Dog breed Carnivore Water dog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts