Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know - enthusiastic self taught (with a little help with videos here and on YouTube) home groomer here.
The one area that makes me a little squeamish is around the armpits - both front and back. That extra flap of skin just seems like you could easily nick them there. Of course now that I keep Louie super short because of the never ending coat change saga and he has to wear coats with our NY Polar winter that is also the area that instantly mats. Any advice?

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
This is one of the hardest areas, along with the bum and the flap of skin between the belly and the thighs.

For the armpits, I take off the comb on the clipper and use a 40 on my 5-in-1 blade. I put the dogs paws on my shoulders, so they stand only on their hind legs. This makes the area more easily to work on. Then I don’t put the clipper on the skin, I just «*air clip*». Since it’s not visible, it doesn’t matter if it’s not perfect.

My dogs are toys so I do it on my kitchen table but you may have to do it kneeling on the floor for a bigger dog.

Other people probably have much better ways, I’m an amateur !

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow - see this is what I was looking for! Makes prefect sense to me! What do you do with the thigh pit? envisioning the face of my Poodle kid if I try to put his back legs on my shoulder ;-)

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Wow - see this is what I was looking for! Makes prefect sense to me! What do you do with the thigh pit? envisioning the face of my Poodle kid if I try to put his back legs on my shoulder ;-)
Ha Ha Ha !

Honestly I haven’t found anything that really works. I just pull with my fingers on the hair to make it stand away from the skin and then use scissors to cut the hair. Let me know if you find a better way !

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
If you hold the front legs high enough that thigh pit disappears

·
Registered
320 Posts
I don’t really know either, but sometimes I can pull the skin around to the outside of the hip and hold it where it is flatter so I can use the clippers. I have a hard time with the whole sanitary area...
Any thoughts on the neutered scrotum area? I can’t tell what’s skin and whats curly furl and it’s not really flat so I’m afraid to use the clippers:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts