Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting some new items for my grooming area and it made me wonder where do you all groom your poodles? Do you have a room set up, do you use your bath tub or do you just take them to a professional?

I made a grooming table form an old school table for the big dogs and bought a mid range hydraulic table for the smaller dogs. Unfortunately the hydraulic table is terrible, wobbly and doesn't raise up high enough so I am looking at buying a commercial scissor lift table and having it modified for my needs. I am also looking into buying or having made a grooming frame for the naughty wrigglers I get.

Have ordered an apron and pants for grooming too from the US. Couldn't find anything in Australia that didn't look like a sack! Just checked and the gear is in Oz and cleared customs so hopefully I will have it by the end of the week. Getting a little sick of being wet every Saturday while I bath and groom dogs.

Can't find a pic at the moment and have to duck off to work. Will post one later

·
Registered
627 Posts
I just bought a Booster Bath and love it so far except that one of the sprayers has a leaky valve. I'm planning to have my husband convert some of our old kitchen cabinets into a grooming table. I still have trouble getting Max to not curl up in a ball. I can't seem to get him blow dried before he dries all curly. I'm starting to wonder what is the point. I like the curly look but it starts to look so raggedy after a couple days. I still have a lot to learn!

I'm using a corner in our finished basement. We left part of it without carpet for easy cleanup. At some point we'll put down some tile or something.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I use my garage but its been cold so I haven't wanted to bath and blow dry him out there. Im getting to the point that Im not enjoying the grooming at all lately.

After all the supplies I bought I think I may just drop him off at the groomer's regularly. Oh boy....my husband going to kill me when he hears that Im taking him to the groomer's. lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally found the pic of my grooming area.
I hear what your saying Secreto, the only reason I love it is cause I have a nice area with everything set up and I can groom when ever the fancy takes me. Plus I suppose T is only a baby so I'm not jack of it yet :biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
wow that's nice! I wish I had something like that - I use my jacuzzi tub to bathe the big ones but blow drying takes too long - I can't hold my arm up so long. I have been thinking about the shop vac that some of you spoke about. I groom on top of the crate and its in my dining room ugh! - I have a closet next to it with the supplies. Summer is easiest when I can use hose. I think i am gong to have to have them cut short in Dec. before my shoulder surgery. I just can't manage the brushing right now. So even though its winter, they will jsut have to wear their snow suits outside! lol

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use my garage but its been cold so I haven't wanted to bath and blow dry him out there. Im getting to the point that Im not enjoying the grooming at all lately.

After all the supplies I bought I think I may just drop him off at the groomer's regularly. Oh boy....my husband going to kill me when he hears that Im taking him to the groomer's. lol
I was in your shoes when Sam was a puppy. It just got to be too much especially in winter when I couldn't contain the mess on the deck. I ended up taking him to the groomer but since I have all the equipment I don't have to take him near as much. I keep him up at home between visits, so I probably take him 4-5 times a year instead of maybe 8-10 times a year. I could probably take him even less, but I'm really picky about the way he looks and I don't like letting him get scruffy. So if you figure that I have saved 5 visits a year over 5 years at $70 each that's a savings of $1750 and he is only 6 years old and now I have Jenny also... The grooming equipment has still paid for itself a few times over. My mistake was buying a grooming table that didn't have a height adjustment. Sam quickly got too tall for it to be useful. He stands just fine on the floor for me but its definitly not comfortable.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I shower Inca and Coco in the bath and groom them on the ironing table with a grooming arm attached. If I'm anxious to scissor them and need their hair straight, I use a blaster to dry them, It's quick, blasts the coat straight and I only need to brush them when finishing them off. My son went mad when he saw me grooming on the ironing table but I don't iron so what else would I use it for?? Oh just a thought - my poodles are toys.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A blaster is like a huge hairdryer or cylinder vaccuum cleaner. Mine blows only cold air warmed by the motor but at such a force that it actually blasts the water off the coat, thus drying very quickly. It takes some getting used to but the dogs don't seem to mind. I finish off with a normal hair dryer.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my grooming outfit turned up from the States yesterday and it's fantastic. Pink and black top and just black pants and it looks pretty professional. Pity about the groomer underneath :rofl: I'm in the "fake it till you make it" stage of my grooming career :biggrin:

Only have a Rottie and a GSD to groom this weekend so no chance of practicing my clipping and scissoring there, but I will at least get to wear my flash new clothes!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have a grooming room that I work in. I bathe in a booster bath and have a huge plastic topped table that has my dryer and supplies on it. I'll get a picture for y'all later.

I really need a new dryer but can not afford one right now so I have to use a hand dryer *stabs eyes out* :shot:

I enjoy grooming my dogs, most of the time but I have 5 dogs of my own and I groom my moms two so its a two day events to get them all clean.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is it free-standing?

Not sure if this was too me but is what free standing?

My OH bought me a mechanics trolley tool box on wheel to store all my gear and mount the dryer on. It is very stable and works a treat, plus you can wheel the dryer around so that's handy.

My dryer is one of those force dryers too and it sure does blow the water off. I used the thin/flat condensing nozzel for the first time the other day on a GSD and it was fantastic. The only thing I don't like is the noise from the dryer. I have heard some people put them in a box to dampen the noise but I really like mine to be moveable.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Re: "I'm in the "fake it till you make it" stage of my grooming career "

I think that philosophy works. Go for it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts