Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I would like to set up a grooming area in my garage. The only issue I am finding is that the garage is not climate controlled. The thermometer in my car (when it's been in the garage) often reads temps between 89-110 in there. If I open the door, it's not a big deal, it starts to get cooler, but will the humidity effect how straight I can blow dry the hair? I love a very fluffy poodle!

·
Registered
708 Posts
So, I would like to set up a grooming area in my garage. The only issue I am finding is that the garage is not climate controlled. The thermometer in my car (when it's been in the garage) often reads temps between 89-110 in there. If I open the door, it's not a big deal, it starts to get cooler, but will the humidity effect how straight I can blow dry the hair? I love a very fluffy poodle!
Absolutely, I groom in my garage and I live in the mountains(cooler up here) but I can NEVER get a completely straight blow out.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
yeah ditto on the humidity. i have two small a/c units aroundmy area in the garage that helps alot. i can get my girls pretty straight most of the time, just hav to use a brush which i dont have to do if i groom inside

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have TWO dehumidifiers running in my shop. Even in the winter, the windows will fog up, so if there is alot of humidity, I need to turn them on. I lot of people have turned their garages into first rate salons. My friend in Alabama did it. It has pants, fountains, mirrors and it was a really UGLY small garage. They closed in the front and put leaded glass doors (which they found in the garbage) and its the cutest place. You need to insulate that roof and interior walls, it will keep the burning sun rays from making it like an oven in there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We cut ours in the car port which is basically outside with an overhead cover. The humidity can get very high in Florida. So we cut in the morning when it is low. It works well.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
We cut ours in the car port which is basically outside with an overhead cover. The humidity can get very high in Florida. So we cut in the morning when it is low. It works well.
I HATE how humid it is here !! LoL

it does really help to insulate the garage. We did it just this past October when I started working from home. We didn't close in the whole garage though b/c I dont want to lose the ability to park my car in the garage when it rains lol. So we did everything we could think of to make it so that I could cool it down enough to not have to worry about having a heat stroke or something in there lol. It's a very large garage though so plenty of room and the whole grooming area is away from the big dog so it's easier to keep that area cooled off :) Only malfunction I have is that I didn't think about, ta da, the humidity in a garage. Our washer and dryer is right there next to my grooming tub. Wellll when I was put on bedrest my blades and grooming tools were left in the garage in my tool box and it never occured to me that they might rust. It was winter and super cold (by florida standards) so it shouldn't have been humid. The washer though provided enough to rust some of my less perfectly packed blades. Bummer. Just one more thing for you to think about :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts