Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you have had a dog or worked with one that has anxiety issues and how you dealt with it?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
not a groomer- but i've had foster dogs with major grooming issues. If you clicker train it can be quick to help work them through it- you make grooming a job- it's no different then teaching a sit etc. just very big baby steps and don't move forward until they are comfortable wtih it. you can do it with out the clicker of course- same thing i just find if they are clicker trained it helps it along a bit quicker

start with just standing on the table- rewarding for good behavoir. then standing on table with being combed- just a swipe or two of the comb- and reward again for good behavoir ... and build up from there. Clippers start with just standing on table clippers running but not near the dog etc and move forward from there

·
Registered
681 Posts
Kodi was a terror on the table! He wouldn’t let the clippers get near his face or front feet. So we took it a big step back and I actually used the tv remote to get him used to something touching his face and feet. He is clicker trained, so first a click for me holding the remote, then moving it around him, then approaching his face, then slowly touching his face, then moving the remote like you would a clipper. Only when he was very comfortable with the remote I switched to the clippers. First with the clippers off, then VERY VERY slowly the clippers on again clicking for getting closer to his face. For him this was a very long process.

I did this most of the time at night sitting on the couch. He didn't have a problem with the table or being brushed, just the clippers. I also placed the clippers on the floor and he'd get clicked for walking near them. He still isn't an angel on the table, but it I can groom him.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason i asked is i have an airedale (not a poo :() that comes in and is just down right nervous he shakes steps from foot to foot on the table, cries the majority of the time, he has gotten better but i was wondering if any one else has know a dog like this and what they did with it. saddly i don't think the owners do much grooming wise at home and where the clicker may work, without consistancy i think he may need something else. note, he is not bad for any perticular thing, except feet, he is just scared.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its just me so very quiet, one of its pluses in my opinion. that might help, i hadn't really thought abt them..

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I specialize in difficult dogs that no one wants snd can't do.

I place the table so the dog is looking out a window. I have cloth muzzles that are closed in at the end, I spray the inside with herbal calming spray (it works with thunderstorms etc). My clippers are whisper quiet, I use scissor type nail trimmers (no loud SNAP sounds). A fan on the counter blows air across their face area (you know how the eyes naturally squint or close when you blow on a dogs face?)

In the bath, DO NOT pre wet the dog. Start at the shouldersn and use very very warm diluted shampoo and start working it in with a massaging motion. The dog will be completely covered in lather, and as you massage, use your nails or curry and loosen that dead airdale coat. You can proceed directly to warm diluted conditioner...RIGHT ON TOP OF THE LATHER WITHOUT RINSING. To rinse well, very slowly and gradually get the water running and begin to rinse without taking your right hand off the dogs withers. Let it drizzlen along the spine. Don't hurry. Take time, no jerking movements and no one else in the room. Rinse the face last but well. The dognshould be like butter in your firm but gentle hands. Towel dry A LOT. Turn the hv on low and lay the hose on the floor about 6-10 feet away. The noise will become "background noise". The dryer is getting warmed up during these 3 minutes. Begin at the tail....but keep your hand on the withers with a finger under the bathing noose. If the dog flails, don't shut it off yet but point it UP toward ceiling.....if the panic is worsening, turn of the hv and rest the dog in a crate lined with a thick layer of towels to absorb water.....surround 3 sides with fans or dryers. They lay there with their eyes shut from the air movement.

I honestly do these wild dogs all the time and the owners can't believe the dog was relaxed enough to get done.....I can finish every dog WELL, not just half done. I do charge extra and the owners gladly pay it.....every other groomer usually called the owner and told them "come and get your dog NOW"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts