Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some questions about grooming Gracie. She is a Red Standard and therefor her coat is not thick and lambs wooly. I shaved her body last night with a 3 3/4F blade and she looks terrible. The cut is super uneven. I bathed and dried her and tried to scissor blend her legs. I have a pretty steady hand and was shocked at how she came out. I have not problem with shaving her feet (40 blade) and her face (30 Blade) although she fights that a little.

Maybe it has to do with her age and coat change....she is 15 months old. Help! I am new to grooming her (the last 4 months) and I am really enjoying it. I just don't want to be embaressed to walk her!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
For the clip to be even she has to be clean and blow dried staight. If you did the clip before the bath that could be part of the problem.

Were you able to even it out with the scissors or no? When you're scissoring remember you need to comb the hair straight out from the body (assuming it will stand, the coat on one of my girls will not) and then scissor.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
My black standard harry has a sort of wavy coat on his body when it's clipped shorter. It was uneven in the first clip so what I did was to bathe him and let it air dry and then use a slicker and brush it all up. Then I went over it again with the finishing blade. I took off tons of hair and went over it again and again until I felt like things were even. He's around her age so I don't think it's the age. I think that one trip with the blade isn't enough, you've gotta go over it a few times even more.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
It's probably how she's dried, it wont come out even when using a blade unless the dog is fluff dried and clean.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
back comb, back comb, back comb!! Both with the scissoring and the clipping. Regardless of how straight you managed to dry her, if you use a comb and comb the hair backwards, then go back over it with the clippers, then comb it back up again, and clip again (etc) then you'll get it much more even.

Scissoring especially you need to use your comb a lot, keep combing that hair back up to scissor it evenly! Even floppy puppy hair can be done reasonably if you back comb plenty.

I can (though rarely do) rough clip a curly poodle pretty even, so that even after a bath & blow dry very little comes off again.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much to all of you for your advise. I did clip her before her bath, then bathed and dried with an Andis hand held drier (not much force). I did not clip her again, nor did I back comb her at all. I will try all your suggestions for my next clip. It gives me an even greater appreciation for all of you who are professional groomers (especially poodles).

I really am enjoying it and I am hopeful I will get better with time. Thanks again for all of your help.....YOU GUYS ROCK!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I'm not a professional groomer by a long shot. I'm just learning but I learn quickly and listen to a lot of advice. Oh and I read a lot and watch Youtube.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts