Poodle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our poodle is very hairy. It is a nightmare grooming her. I start with a 4 skipper blade, then I use a 5 blade and finish with a 7 blade. All Andis blades. It takes forever. Any suggestions to save time?
Thank you.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
How old is your dog?

Do you brush and comb your dog often so there’s no mats? How often do you clip your poodle? Do you shampoo, rinse really well and blow dry your dog’s hair until it’s straight?

what variety is your dog, toy, miniature or standard?

Is your dog a mix?

Answers to these questions could help us figure out what the problem is and how to fix it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Also, do you have a clipper or a trimmer?

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Premium Member
24,505 Posts
Why are you using the skip tooth blade? Poodles don't need them. And think about Basil's suggestion.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I find the shorter blades, like 7 or 10, to cut through a lot more easily than, say a 4.
Have you tried going straight to the 7 for the first cut, and then going over again with it to even it out? Alternatively, a 30 blade with a metal comb attached would be a faster rough-in option than the equivalent blade.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
What clipper are you using? My Wahl KM10 and Oster A5 glide through far faster and more smoothly than my Wahl Bravura and pet market clippers. I definitely don't need to preclip when using the Oster or KM10 - well worth the investment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How old is your dog?

Do you brush and comb your dog often so there’s no mats? How often do you clip your poodle? Do you shampoo, rinse really well and blow dry your dog’s hair until it’s straight?

what variety is your dog, toy, miniature or standard?

Is your dog a mix?

Answers to these questions could help us figure out what the problem is and how to fix it.
Hi Skylar,
Thank you for replying. Darby is a year and half. I finish with a 7 blade so her coat is short. Never any mats, her top knot and ears are brushed and combed every 3 days. She is groomed every 5 weeks. I shampoo and use a poodle rinse. I do rinse well. I do not blow dry her though. I will shampoo her in a.m. and wait till she is dry, (usually in mid afternoon) them start grooming.. Darby is a Kline (35 pounds) poodle. I have two other poodles.. A large 68 lbs standard and a 12 lbs toy. Never any problem with them. I have been grooming my other dogs for five years. All are full bred poodles. She is just so hairy. Even as a baby I will always say...."I cannot believe how much hair she has. Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
237 Posts
Could you provide pictures of her in her hairy state and possibly after grooming as well. It may help us get a better idea of the issue and allow us to provide better advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could you provide pictures of her in her hairy state and possibly after grooming as well. It may help us get a better idea of the issue and allow us to provide better advice.
Darby does not get into a "hairy state" as I groom her every 5 weeks. If I waited longer I would have to scissor her first. The 7 Andis blade does not work. Again, I use a 4 skip blade because her hair is so thick. I will try to post a picture. She is adorable and a sweetie. Love her to pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Darby does not get into a "hairy state" as I groom her every 5 weeks. If I waited longer I would have to scissor her first. The 7 Andis blade does not work. Again, I use a 4 skip blade because her hair is so thick. I will try to post a picture. She is adorable and a sweetie. Love her to pieces.
Wrong picture attached. Sorry. Will try again. This picture is when our 68 lbs standard was 10 weeks old and meeting our friends standard.

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
237 Posts
I apologize for any potential offense. I did not mean to indicate that I was looking for pictures of Darby overgrown or wild looking, I merely meant at the longest level of growth before you would generally groom her. I used "hairy state" as short hand as it is early here and I am not fully awake.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
Darby is a year and half. I finish with a 7 blade so her coat is short. Never any mats, her top knot and ears are brushed and combed every 3 days. She is groomed every 5 weeks. I shampoo and use a poodle rinse. I do rinse well. I do not blow dry her though. I will shampoo her in a.m. and wait till she is dry, (usually in mid afternoon) them start grooming.. Darby is a Kline (35 pounds) poodle. I have two other poodles.. A large 68 lbs standard and a 12 lbs toy. Never any problem with them. I have been grooming my other dogs for five years. All are full bred poodles. She is just so hairy. Even as a baby I will always say...."I cannot believe how much hair she has. Any help would be so appreciated. Thank you.
start with a 4 skipper blade, then I use a 5 blade and finish with a 7 blade. All Andis blades. It takes forever. Any suggestions to save time
It’s good to know you are experienced and are grooming two other poodles. Your poodles are adorable.

My silver minipoo has a very thick correct poodle coat so I suspect this is what Darby has. This kind of hair makes glorious long top knots and tail poofs that don’t split and flop.

Blow drying hair straight helps achieve an even clip with just one pass. If you are not looking for perfection you can skip the high velocity drying. I do blow dry. If my dog is overgrown I will roughly trim her shorter so there’s less to dry before I do the official clipping. I do the rough clip the day before. I’m doing it strictly to make it easier to dry her and not to make it easier to clip her to the finish length which is what you are doing.

I don’t see the need to use a 4 skipper blade or 5 when you want to end with a 7; just use the 7 blade. It may help to groom every 4 weeks instead of 5 if she’s getting too hairy.

There is a big difference between grooming my silver minipoo and my previous tpoo and current apricot minipoo puppy. You are probably experiencing something similar. My Wahl Bravura glides smoothly through my apricot puppy‘s hair. Not with my silver minipoo. I find I need to use my Andis ProClip AGC 2-Speed Clipper which is more powerful. I change blades several times as they get too hot and I clean and oil the blade when I change them so each blade is in the best condition. I run clippers more slowly giving it a chance to properly cut each hair.

Reactions: lily cd re
1 - 16 of 16 Posts