Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dolly has a beautiful correct poodle coat, but it is very thick and takes forever to groom (much longer than Abbey's). I was wondering if with very thick coats people use thinning shears to make the coat more manageable. I'm scared to try in case I ruin her coat, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I do have thinning shears and Javelin has a very dense coat, but the only place the thinning shears ever touch are his ear feathers to lighten the weight on his ears as an aid to air circulation. I would never touch either dog's body with them.

Reactions: Caddy

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
No I would not suggest using thinning shears in the way I'm imagining you're saying (I assume you mean to try to thin the coat by putting the thinning shears into/under the coat and taking snips to try to thin it out). All those uneven hair layers are going to create a lot more possibilities of matting as the uneven layers rub together.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your input, not a good idea by the sounds of it. I had started to wonder if it was regular practice and I just hadn't heard about it. Good idea for the ears though lily, I usually lighten Abbeys ears with a comb on the clippers.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
This was a reason I didn’t like the Bravura clippers. It took forever to do Lucky’s torso. I prefer the Andis two speed ultra edge with ceramic blade. It takes a lot less time because it cuts better. Perhaps this makes a thick coat more manageable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
No I would not suggest using thinning shears in the way I'm imagining you're saying (I assume you mean to try to thin the coat by putting the thinning shears into/under the coat and taking snips to try to thin it out). All those uneven hair layers are going to create a lot more possibilities of matting as the uneven layers rub together.
Thank you for posting this. My Babykins has a very thick coat and I would never consider thinning it but it’s good to know why not to do it.

Like Snow I use the heavy andis clipper. I’m glad she has such a thick coat because no matter how I trim her, she maintains the shape beautifully. People are constantly asking me if she is freshly groomed when it’s been 2-4 weeks. Even people with poodles or who do conformation. I value that thick coat. But I understand you see the difference in time it takes to groom and it is annoying. It definitely takes longer to wash, rinse, dry and clip.

Reactions: Caddy and snow0160

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have an andis clipper but I never use it, mainly because it's corded and I find it quite heavy and more awkward to maneuver. I agree that a thick coat really holds its shape and looks good longer, but my hand gets sore by the time I'm done brushing and combing her out. One of the toughest places to brush is her front legs, and she seldom has a knot anywhere. I brush everyday (may miss a day here or there), and brush/comb about 3 times a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts