Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! Haven’t been here in a while but with the virus, Zeb’s in painfully in need of a cut as her appointment was due during lockdown. I’ve seen some say different sizes require different clippers? In any case, I’m a bit stuck as the most I could spend on a clipper right now is £20, £30 if I’m stretching it (she was due to have her teeth bc of ongoing dental issues, but lockdown has made it more expensive).

I don’t want to get a clipper that’ll only cause her pain, but she’s in the state that it’s hard to walk on slippery surfaces and it’s only a matter of time before matts appear even with the brushing. Just wanted to get thoughts on what would be the least stressful while still hygienic option for her? Thanks

edit: would this be suitable? Pro Clip Yellow Refurbished | Barbers & Hairdressers | Wahl UK

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I don’t know anything about that particular clipper. Years ago I had a tpoo who I groomed using a cheap trimmer sold to cut human hair. It came with some plastic guides similar to this one.

What is important to understand is the more expensive trimmers and clippers that most of us here use and discuss and what professional groomers use allow you to switch the blades easily. With the very cheap trimmers, like this, changing a blade requires a screw driver and patience. The expensive ones are also more powerfu so they will be quicker to groom. When you groom, keep touchin the blade. When it gets hot you need to stop and let the trimmer cool down. With the expensive ones you can change blades in seconds and keep grooming. A few miniature and standard poodles have very thick fur which is harder to shave with less powerful trimmers. But most poodles don’t have those thick coats.

If you have limited funds and don’t expect to groom for a long period and understand and accept the limitations then these will work. If you are careful you can even achieve professional looking groom, if you wash and dry your dogs hair straight. My tpoo lived til she was 20 and I always groomed her at home with cheap trimmers and she always looked cute.

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts