Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first, let me apologize for any typos. I'm so mad about what's happened that I have to type it out on my iPhone....

To add insult to injury ( read "separation anxiety" in poodle talk)
So I just picked up Snoops. Went to a new groomers... Told them 3 times and even wrote it out... I wanted a fluffy "teddy bear" cut for Snoops. Round fuzzy face and head, round fluffy feet... Trimmed tummy and sanitary shave. Basically just a trim of what he already had. Well, I guess they must have made an error along the way cuz what I got is a totally shaved down Snoops. There is nothing fuzzy or fluffy about him. He is skin n bones and looks ridiculous. He feels so embarrassed and made noises I had never heard him make before.

Why do groomers even ask how to cut our pets when they don't even take it into consideration. Nor do they have the consideration to tell us what went wrong along the way. What I asked for and what I got is apples n oranges.

Clearly I'm pretty upset about this. I can't say much because the owner of the shop is a friend of my b/f.

Have any of you had a similar experience? What do you do about it? :(

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Awwww thats a bummer, sorry to hear Snoops has some wardrobe malfunctions :(
Personaly were it me I would have asked WHY snoops was so short, if it was a case where the groomer got him on the table and found his coat to be matted or something... ?? I don't think that excuses the haircut they gave him, but it was the first reason that jumps to my mind as a groomer to go short on a dog... it's the only reason I can think of?? If that was the case, and it may not have been, they should have CALLED YOU to get permission to shave him, shame on them!

If a sastisfactory answer isn't given to they WHY question I would have refused to pay, and if I had already paid I would have asked for my money back. I might even have gone as far as to stop payment on a check or contest payment with a credit card.
You can call the owner of the shop and seek a refund and let them know you were unhappy (in a nice way) and why in the hopes that they will learn from their mistakes. If this is a corp. run salon like in a petsmart call the salon manager or store manager and most definitly get a refund.

I don't charge for unhappy clients. If you tell me one thing and I am forced into doing something else but I CALL you and explain the situation and get permission before I do it thats one thing. However, if I just get the trim wrong and you are upset about it, or you feel I did a poor job on the trim - no charge. Of course, like everything, there's a catch. If I give you a free groom you are no longer welcome in my salon since obviously I was unable to satisfy you.
If I don't like the haircut for some reason or I try something new and they don't like it then no charge and of course I will do my best to fix it on your next visit.

It may have simply been miscommunication? What is fluffy to some people isn't fluffy to others. They may also have misjudged his coat and thought that they could do say a #4 blade which leaves a little bit of fluff but it turned out waaay shorter than they realized it would. I did that reccently and ended up with a dog who was supposed to be kind of fluffy-ish but turned out smoother than I wanted. Thank goodness the owners didn't know what they really wanted in the first place so that worked out for me.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wardrobe malfunction.... I'd say! That is a cute way of describing it... My first smile to come of this whole fiasco.

Wonderpup- I agree 100% with everything you noted. If they had offered an explanation I probably would have a bit of a different reaction. The matting would have been a good guess, but no - Snoops has a beautiful coat that I brush out daily, so no kinks or mats.

I had been to another groomer/doggy spa before this and they did an amazing job esthetically. I would have gone back, except they had cut Snoops' tummy so badly and didn't even tell me. I discovered the cut once we got home. They didn't say thank you and just thrust Snoops towards me and I paid. When I asked for an envelope to leave tip, they thrust a full money envelope towards me to fill with more money. I was so ticked off.

Anyway, I can't say much to the owner of this salon because he is a friend of my boyfriend. He asked us if Snoops looked ok and we lied thru our teeth. He and his wife just started the salon so we thought we would try it and offer our support. I guess I just won't go back...

The hunt for a groomer continues... :(

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Glad I could make you smile and VERY GLAD to hear snoops is never matted :) I would think she would have been refreshed to not have yet another poodle who is matted on her table.

If she just started the salon I might go with the second therory of the #4 blade and misjudging the coat. Even if she is experienced and has been grooming years and years and years starting up can be a very stressful time. Been there lol, still there kinda.

I would mention it to her or the boyfriend when you calm down about it though. I hate it when people say the dog looks ok and then I never see them again... Obvioulsy there was something wrong with the clip and I would personaly like to know what that was. It might have even been something I could have fixed to make them happy, OR, lol I could have given then the groom free and waved goodbye as they drove into the sunset.

A little advice, I'm not sure how you asked for fluffy when you droped snoops off, but get really really specific with a new groomer. Tell them I want an inch or I want a half an inch or whatever. Show them a picture if you've got one. If you want more than an inch (good luck finding a groomer for that) tell them I want him hand scissored and only want *this* amount off the coat. I try really really hard not to allow my clients to come in and ask for generalized clips like the puppy clip(my personal pet peeve!! there is no such clip unless you're talking about a show poodle), or the teddy bear, or sprotsman or... you get the idea. I make my clients tell me or if I have to show me how long they want the coat or what shape they want the face or the ears. Even when things like cockers and schnuazers I try and get them to specify a length. I can do the shave me to the skin with a #10 blade schnauzer trim (yuck) OR I can make their dog look like they are supposed to without having the hassle of handstripping.
Moral of the story; Sometimes it's all in how you ask for things lol.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wonderpup- again, I agree with you completely and for the same reasons, I am always very specific to avoid any confusion. There were examples of coat length at the counter and I showed her what I had in mind. Anyway... I probably should mention to the owners that I was not completely satisfied. You are right about that - it's better for the groomer to know what the problem was vs. Never seeing us there again.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm sorry that your groomer got it wrong and it's a shame they had no explanation to offer.

You can search for a new groomer but also keep in mind that this current place at least now knows what you DONT want. Most if not all grooming shops keep records of their clients so they can find out what you like.

Also using the same groomer in a grooming shop (once you find one that you like) will make you getting the result you're looking for each time easier and less stress on a dog. When I book dogs and check in dogs I always look on the card and book the dog with the person who has groomed him regularly or i'll ask if they prefer someone handling their dog. I think it's important for a groomer to have a relationship with not only the dog they are grooming but also the owner as well! I try to maintain a good relationship with all of my clients. All the dogs I groom I know by name and recognize them usually by dogs name and breed when they are making their appointment and I think it helps make them feel safe and secure when leaving their dog with me.

I will also ALWAYS try to do what the owner asks however my magic is limited. If a dog comes in matted he/she gets shaved, no questions asked and i will call to get permission first but I refuse to hurt a dog for the sake of the owner having a pretty puppy. My job is to make the animal comfortable and I can't do that by brushing on a dog for hours.

If your dog wasn't matted then there is no excuse for shaving. I would do no shorter than a #3 blade on a poodle to maintain "fluffy" but I prefer a 1 snap on Vega, it's a little longer than a 3 and gives him some extra fluff so I can turn into a lamb if i'd like later on.

Maybe next time giving a blade length will help with a more exact description of what you are after!

Good luck finding a good groomer! Also never be afraid to ask for references. Most groomers are happy and more than willing to supply them!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm so sorry you had to go through that with Snoops but I agree with Aidan on not going somewhere else. You'll likely go through the same mess all over again.

If the actual quality of the groom was good then that's half the groom taken care of. you can show the owner a picture of what you want or tell her you want twice as much length(or however much more you want). Telling her it wasn't the best move. Now she'll probably go off of what you said and do that with other dogs and possibly make the same mistake again. The only way we groomers can better understand what you want is for you to tell us, or for some - beat it into us.

can you post a pic of snoops? hopefully he's not too shamed to show his nekkid body online :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday was such a bad day for us... the whole "grooming thing" put us all in such a icky mood. Snoops would barely even let me take photos of him... I definitely think he is embarrassed. I love him still, of course... but it's almost like I have a different dog. Where did Snoops go?!

Anyway, I took Wonderpup's advice and I wrote to the owner (who is also my boyfriend's friend) of Salon A (for reference sake). I was reluctant because I didn't want to cause any strain between him and my boyfriend. But figured it best just to be professional and let him know. He wrote back and said he would talk with the groomer this morning. I asked that he not be too hard on her... but I just would rather him know my honest opinion than not know at all. Perhaps my input would help avoid future "wardrobe malfunctions" (thanks for that Wonderpup) with other guests.

I've decided that I won't take Snoops there again.. it was a far drive for us anyway. Our reason for going there anyhow, was to offer support to our friend and his new salon. I may try the previous salon (the one where they were rude, and cut his tummy without telling me) Salon B (for reference). However, my next visit I will tell them my thoughts about what had happened. They did do a great job on Snoops (minus the attitude and the cut).

Ok.. now for pictures...
Photo #1 is how Snoops looks daily.. so adorable! And notice he is smiling!:)
Photo #2 the groom from Salon B - amazing groom, loved the cut and the products they used!
Photo #3 groom from Salon A - Snoops is skin n bones... won't even look at the camera, and is clearly, not happy. I had asked her to avoid a "skinny snout", and asked for "round fluffy feet", and a "round fluffy face"... I don't think I really got that....

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
GASP!!!!! what the he!! did they do to him??? Poor guy, he looks pathetic!!:weep::crying:

he will grow out and be fluffy again, and just dont go back!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GASP!!!!! what the he!! did they do to him??? Poor guy, he looks pathetic!!:weep::crying:

he will grow out and be fluffy again, and just dont go back!!
It's true... he is really meek and lacks alot of confidence now. We went for our usual walk this morning and he was cowering and would just sit on the pavement. He only walked part way and I had to carry him home :crying:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It sounds to me like he not only feels naked, but that the groomer probably was not real nice to poor little Snoops, especially since you stated that he seems to be cowering. I'm sure that this didn't do a whole lot for your own separation anxiety huh? Hope all goes well with any future grooms, or maybe you could possibly self teach yourself to groom Snoops.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fuzbutz - Snoops is just really out of character right now. I am so emotional over this. Perhaps I'm over-reacting, maybe I'm just being hormonal... but I am really really sad for Snoops and this whole experience. I tried to cuddle him (he likes to lay his head on my shoulder) and it just didn't feel the same.. He has been hiding under the desk, and won't eat. My boyfriend and I actually got into a screaming match last night, and a bit this morning because I am just so upset. He is telling me to be positive, and it will grow back... I know all of this. It's just difficult because Snoops is my little baby... it's tough to see him appear and act differently...

Last night, we left him with his big sister Socks (as usual) in their "apartment" (the rec. room of the house). I laid out Snoops wee pad, just in case. He ripped it up, as well as a roll of paper towels - this is very unusual behavior for him. Is it because he was still mad about the whole grooming experience?

He is going to get neutered next week.. oh my gosh.. how will I handle that?!
I hope Snoops will get back to "normal" soon, so we can prepare for his surgery.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thats just wrong! I wouldnt of paid them for a full service, only for the services they provided correctly (shampoo and dry). There also would of been a slight scene if it were my dog.

There is absolutely no reason that should of happened. Thank goodness that wasn't me! Even though my response would of been more extreme, Im really shocked you didnt say a thing.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Secreto - I didn't "freak out" because the owner is a friend of my boyfriend... I didn't want to cause any beef between the two of them...

In the end, I did write to the owner and aired my feelings...

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Ok that is ridiculous! How can you go from fluffy to that!!! I mean, I asked Moose to be shaved like that but I don't see how ANYONE could mistakenly SHAVE a dog like that when asked to keep it fluffy!!!!!!!!!!

Like others have said he's probably sad/cowering because of the way he was treated at the groomers!

I would post full details about the groomer in the grooming section here to alert others not to use them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok that is ridiculous! How can you go from fluffy to that!!! I mean, I asked Moose to be shaved like that but I don't see how ANYONE could mistakenly SHAVE a dog like that when asked to keep it fluffy!!!!!!!!!!

Like others have said he's probably sad/cowering because of the way he was treated at the groomers!

I would post full details about the groomer in the grooming section here to alert others not to use them.
Todd - typically I would do as you suggested... but I won't in this case, again because, see above post. It's a friend's business.

Here is another shot of Snoops and his nakedness... again, not daring to show his face to the camera. I don't see the "round fluffy feet" I asked for.. do you?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm so sorry that you feel so bad. The hair thing is true, it won't take long at all before it grows back. I know how you feel though, there have been times when ours have ended up not being clipped exactly like we had wanted and if we don't think that they look real nice ourselves, I think that our poor fur babies feel bad, because they too will act sorta' embarrassed. I think that our feelings rub off on our babies. I think that your B.F. probably feels bad because you are not happy and this groomer works for one of his friends, but don't argue about it, its not worth it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Secreto - I didn't "freak out" because the owner is a friend of my boyfriend... I didn't want to cause any beef between the two of them...

In the end, I did write to the owner and aired my feelings...
Aww, I realize why you held back. Im glad to hear that you wrote a complaint about what happened though. Poor little guy, I hope it grow's back fast.

I dont know how often you bath but clean hairs grows faster. So the once a week rule works well.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for everyone's support... it means alot to be able to air my frustrations here... I know you all understand how I'm feeling.

Secreto - yes, I do bathe Snoops weekly! I do hope it grows back quickly...

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude around him, so that he doesn't feel differently.
He's still my little Snoopers.. :love:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Cuddleparty, I would be concerned that snoops seems to be upest by the experience. I don't think his behavior has ANYTHING to do with the length of his hair unless he is scratching/licking some of the more exposed parts. That might indicate some irritation either from shampoo, incorrect rinsing, or from the clippers. You said he was sitting down a lot on walks?? Double check that he isn't red or anything back there. It could be that he feels different back there and is sitting but the cowering is certainly not related to the clip.

Are you sure he isn't picking up on your mood and it is having an impact on his behavior? I might mention this to salon A as well. If you decide to reurn to Salon B instead of looking for a new groomer definitly be sure to mention how you were treated on your previous visit when you make your appoitment but also mention that you were hap with the groom :) I might take him in for a little face,feet,tail clip or just a bath so that he can have a good experience with the groomer you choose before it is time for him to be clipped again. If there are any left over 'feelings" aout grooming snoop will have a chance to get over them and be happy once again before, during, and after grooming visits.

As for the pictures, I retract my previous statements about the groomer misjudging what the coat might look like with a #4, that looks more like a 5 or a 7 to me which is definitly NOT any kind of fluffy

1 - 20 of 41 Posts