Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fenris went to the groomer for the first time yesterday. He was wonderful. All the groomers loved him, he was a little shy at first but warmed up quickly that when I came back he didn't think I was as interesting as the fun he was having there. They gave him a cute fluffball puppy cut that makes him look twice his size, lol. I love seeing him look more like a poodle (and this from the person who a few months ago didn't like the look of poodles herself).

But once I took him home and shared the new look, opinions started coming in.

"Oh, I liked him better before."
"He was cuter before."
"He looks more like a poodle now." (said in a way that clearly indicates that's not a good thing)
"Do you have to cut him like a poodle?"

Can't people just not say anything if they can't think of anything nice?

Before and after pics below...

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
He’s absolutely adorable. I wouldn’t call this an iconic “poodle cut” - no pompoms and big top knot. But Twyla is right anything on a poodle is a poodle cut.

I think they are reacting to him looking professionally groomed and polished looking.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Fenris looks adorable, and he's growing up. Sometimes change surprises people, and they say awkward or even unkind things. "It may take a while to get used to," is a charitable response, though some people will miss the hint. "I love that I can see his eyes now," praises the "poodley" clean face in a way that's difficult to oppose.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually wanted them to shave the face but the groomer said to do it in baby steps and just clean it up for now. But yeah, he looks polished rather than scruffy. Scruffy is the doodle way and I guess it's the reason a lot of people like doodles. I like that he can see and that when he drinks, his splash zone has becomes smaller.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Honestly this is a very "doodley" cut! I don't get how people are saying it makes him look like a poodle. He seems just to have a nice neat teddy trim. And if you bathe and air dry him, his fur will go back to having that "woke up like this" look that makes him look more scruffy. Honestly you just can't please people.

Whenever I groom Misha I feel like I get a different dog back. Sometimes people ascribe personality to a dog based on their appearance and they may just be reacting to the more polished look conflicting with their inner conception of him. Sometimes I give Misha a new style and 50% of people love it and the other 50% hate it. But it's just hair. Might as well have fun with it!

One thing to remember if you ever need a good retort when people complain about shaving the face: Dogs have evolved a much greater number of facial muscles than wolves. Some breeds have more facial expressions than others based on the muscles that make up their faces. Dogs like poodles are extremely expressive. If the face is covered in scraggly hair it's hard to see the expressions and makes communication more difficult. So there is scientifically backed evidence that a clean face has benefits for communication!

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
He looks adorable.

Peggy was a super awkward pup (sorry Peggy, but it's true) and most of my friends and family were horrified by her haircuts. Oh well! She was much more comfortable. Training was easier when I could see her eyes. And she quickly grew to love the groomer. All good things!

I learned to laugh off the comments.

People pay top dollar for mutts these days. The scruffier the better. It's all part of the adopt-don't-shop culture glorifying mixed breeds. I love mutts, too, but I feel no need to pretend I've got one.

·
Registered
161 Posts
He looks darling. People are silly. He just looks dapper and groomed. It will take no time for him to look scruffy again once his coat gets defluffed, except you'll be able to see his eyes for a while longer, which is a win.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Raindrops, I think you are right. People judge too many things based on looks alone, including dogs. Love the "woke up like this" description for him!

PeggytheParti, I think Fenris looks awkward too. Not sure if he'll grow out of it or if he'll always be an awkward looking poodle. I love him, lol, but he's not even the awkward puppy kind of cute, just awkward cute.

Oonapup, I love being able to see his eyes!

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
PeggytheParti, I think Fenris looks awkward too. Not sure if he'll grow out of it or if he'll always be an awkward looking poodle. I love him, lol, but he's not even the awkward puppy kind of cute, just awkward cute.
Lol. He'll grow out of it. Peggy's legs all seemed to grow at different times, and they were always much too long for the rest of her proportions. So so so so awkward. But now she's quite the elegant looking gal. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol. He'll grow out of it. Peggy's legs all seemed to grow at different times, and they were always much too long for the rest of her proportions. So so so so awkward. But now she's quite the elegant looking gal. :)
His ribcage is giant, makes his head look tiny. I hope he grows into that ribcage and becomes a bit more proportional. Looks like he has football padding on his chest, lol.

·
Premium Member
23,881 Posts
I think he looks great and it sounds like you have found a very good groomer since clearly it was a very positive experience for him.

·
Premium Member
4,462 Posts
Super groom - you can really see the difference. I, too, like the shaved face - but I am behind on Asta (seems like I am always behind on Asta) Groom at home and honestly he doesn't like that, so I groom in stages. Need to finish up some awkward places and then I will do his face.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
He looks amazing! How wonderful that his first pro groom was a great experience for him!

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I think he looks cute but I also think that is a doodle cut not a poodle cut. Whats important is he is clean, mat free and simply adorable. I no longer care about what others thinks about my dog, Its what I like and whats good for him.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts