Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a groomer, and I'm going to be getting standard poodle puppies some time in 2010, so I have MOOOOONTHS to plan everything out. The thing I'm worried about is all the things I'll be taking home from my job.

Already I've come into contact with a pup with kennel cough, where I pretty much bleached EVERYTHING on my, my arms, shoes, clothes, ect, and even then I changed pretty much in my car when I got home and brought everything I wore that day inside in a plastic bag to go straight in the washing machine. My dog never got it, and I got her vaccinated the next day again just in case.

After that story, I'm thinking, what will happen if I get something more deadly from work and bring that home to my pups? When you other groomers got puppies, what precautions, if any, did you take when coming home after work? I've never been around as many dogs as I am when raising puppies before.

Also, I read somewhere that you can put Biotin powder in your dogs food to help their hair grow. I've had a bottle I had for myself for a bit, but didn't want my hair growing any faster.. it's already obnoxiously long, and wondered that same stuff could be used for dogs or if there's a special dog formula.

I know I won't be able to feed raw to my dogs, so I just want to do a high grade kibble. I'd probably royally screw up with the nutrition over time if I did do the raw. As far as the kibble goes, I planned on going with Solid Gold, but I've been trying to look around for this site that classified and graded a lot of the more popular dog food, I can't find it anywhere! Anyone have that site bookmarked?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think they make a disinfectant specifically to kill the parvo virus, I think it's called "parvosol." Does your boss not require proof of vaccination? Maybe you could request that you only groom vaccinated dogs until your pups are older. I think lots of cleaning and staying on top of your pups' vaccine schedule, will go a long way. I would be scared too if I were you. I've been through having a puppy w/parvo and it's very scary.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I can imagine that this would be a huge issue for you. I'm surprised they don't require kennel cough vaccinations too. I've been so worried about Zulee catching something that we didn't stop on our 5 hour trip home. I was shocked she held it that long.

My breeder said that one of the dogs she sold got killed from parvo because the owner's landscaper carried it on their property. I hope you get some good suggestions. I wish I knew some to give.

·
Registered
157 Posts
None of my dogs have gotten parvo, but my sisters best friend dogs became infected. They weren't very responsible pet owners IMO. Basically, a cousin had came to live with them for two weeks and brought his pitt bull with him. His pitt apparently was carrying parvo, and gave it to their 5 dogs. One of the dogs was taken to the vet and diagnosed with parvo, but they couldn't afford the treatment and didn't want to put him down so they took him home where he eventually passed. I spent money out of my own pocket to vaccinate the rest of the dogs, but two puppies unfortunately didn't make it. The older dogs did though.

It really pissed me off that they didn't have any of their dogs vaccinated, but I don't think they should have been owning any dogs considering their situation. Parvo is definitely something you don't want to trifle with, especially with puppies.

There is always an inherent risk of coming into contact with something, but working in a grooming facility puts you at a higher risk.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's pretty scary Aki =/ at what age do puppies get all their shots series taken care of? Maybe I can ask for my work to cut my hours during that time. Maybe I can take a seperate set of clothes to work and change in the bathroom, then spray watered down bleach and sanitizer on my arms and feet before I come into the house.

Once a puppy has recieved all it's vaccinations can they still get parvo and distemper? I'm pretty sure kennel cough isn't really life threatening.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I work at a vet, so i have the potential to bring home alot of things. I never wear home my work shoes. I wear a different pair to work, change, and then change again to come home. When i get home my scrubs get taken off and put away, and i change into regular cloths. I wash my hands and arms alot! Good general hygine and washing your hands will go a Long way! I wouldnt get super picky about it. Kennel cough isnt a very stable bacteria in the enviornment anyways. General cleaning will take care of it. I wouldnt bring the puppy to work with me until all shots are given.

As for shots, puppies get a distemper/parvo combo at about 6wks, 8wks, 10-12ish wks, rabies at about 4 months old, and alot of places give another distemper/parvo shot around 6 months old. The distemper/parvo vaccines are actually very affective in preventing these diseases.

So in general, i wouldnt get super parinoid about things, but i would take general precautions.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks tons, BPP! I was hoping that had a vet background woud come and give me some helpful advice. ^^ And I plan on doing all grooming at home until all the shots are well taken care of, so I'll have to sanitize my equipment before I take that home too.

I don't want to be a germaphobe, but there's some serious stuff out there! o:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts