Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of switching groomers and I wanted to ask the groomers on here to help me understand things a little better. In my state, you don't have to go to school to be a groomer - you can learn as you go (which is fine by me but I can definitely see a difference in experience as I try out different people) BUT with the person I've tried to use - she doesn't use any blade shorter than a #10. So question number 1 - is that normal? And my second question is - if you aren't sure how to groom a certain breed, do you typically tell the person that up front? Question #3 is, if a dog gets nervous and has an accident, do you charge more or expect the client to pay more? Oh - and my groomer owns her shop - she isn't renting the space under someone else (didn't know if that would affect your thoughts)
My frustration is actually with taking my Crested and a Crested puff that is staying with me... The groomer must not have known how a Crested is to be groomed and I'm okay with that in that I know they aren't common BUT, I'm just frustrated that I paid for a shaved face that isn't really shaved...(A #10 on a hairless Cresteds face looks like nothing was cut. I actually thought nothing was cut and was starting to say, "Oh, were you unable to groom her face?" When the groomer and her assistant said, "Do you like the face?" I said that I wanted it shorter as in no whiskers on her face and they said, "Well we groom with a 10 and that is as short as it will go..." I wish I had known that before I asked them to cut her nails and groom her face because I would've just cancelled the appointment. But I felt I owed them since they did the work. (Although, truth be told - it couldn't have been too much work, could it? Since I couldn't tell a difference and the only other thing they had to do to her was her nails?)
The puff I took in had terrible eye stains and I wanted her face to be cut close to look better and hopefully get the stains trimmed off so I could start clean with Angel Eyes and a daily wash cloth - but again, a 10 doesn't cut it short enough (as I learned) and so I didn't think she looked that different either (I had already trimmed her with a 10 at home and decided I didn't like it so I took her in). So I'm home frustrated because I feel like I paid for really expensive nail trims...

·
Registered
741 Posts
a 10 is a all round blade most groomers do go shorter i use a 30 alot i would prob use a 30 on a crestie have you thought about learning to do it your self a face shave is very easy and something the a moster arco clipper would be perfect for that sort of work the blade adjusts uo to a 30/40 i think

where abouts are you?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I would take this as a learning experience. I see nothing wrong with asking a groomer how much experience they have with a certain breed. If they don't have much experience, maybe they would be willing to look at some info you bring or even purchase some educational info themselves. (I have tons of dog books on breeds I own and many I would love to own someday, LOL.) Since you seem to know something about blades, I would specifically tell them you want the faces done with a 30. I would think most groomers would appreciate an upfront, knowledgable client who was really specific. Good luck!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I usually do try to groom her myself but wondered if a groomer would do a better job because I think my blade is getting a little dull so I thought it would be a good time to see (I've learned from asking my breeder and being on Crestie forums). I currently only have a #10 blade and then a man's beard trimmer to work with but I'm looking into the Wahl mini arco with the #30 blade. I would hope that the mini arco would be able to cut the poodle's faces and feet and the Cresties faces and my HHL's body (the #10 isn't getting her body as short as I'd like it). What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If i'm not sure how to groom a breed or if I haven't done it before I always tell the person so that either a) they go to someone who DOES know how to do it or b) if they let me attempt to do it they wont expect it to be perfect and will know/understand that im not experienced with said breed.

Also, I have a 40 blade, i dont think groomers should be afraid to use a 40. I do it on my poodles face/feet. I think it looks much nicer than a 10. However i'd never go below a 10 on a dogs body, if a dog is matted to the point where I can't get a 10 through the owner is called and they can take the dog to the vet to be shaved down.

I don't charge extra for accidents. There is a $5 special handling charge we use when females are in heat.

If a dog fusses and complains about the groom that's pretty normal especially for a puppy-first haircut or if owners let their dogs get away with pretty much everything at home then yes it can be a groomers nightmare.

If a dog is going to take half the day i would have no choice but to charge for it and the owner can either go somewhere that allows sedation to be groomed or they can train their dog to be well mannered during grooming. I do the best I can to train dogs while they're with me but you can only do so much.

I don't know why anyone would only use a 10 blade and have that be the shortest blade they use...that seems crazy to me. I've even done a 40 on cocker spaniel faces before, granted it was a cocker with a horrible skin condition so it was his vet that suggested having the face shaved w/ a 40 but i think some groomers are just afraid to use it.

I've never hurt one of my poodles with a 40, the stupid foot blade someone talked me into buying i had a hard time using but for me i love using a 40.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts