Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 3 spoos to the groomer Betty and Jenny for face,feet and tail and Sport for a full groom. I cannot tell you how upset I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Betty and Jenny's top knots are a mess and my poor Sport!!!!!! I cannot believe what she did to him. He is a mess I can't believe I paid money for someone to hurt my dog. I feel sick!! Any suggestions on what now I'm sure I need to go groomer shopping!

The weird thing is I've been going to her for a while and at first I was really happy with the trims. The topknots were lovely the dogs liked going and I don't understand what is happening. Not to mention no on came back hurt. Its the same groomer what gives!!

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would be concerned, there might be a medical reason for the bruising. Recently I groomed a little poodle mix, at the owners home, with her right there. After the bath while blowdrying, I noticed that everywhere I touched her started to bruise. She took her to the vet and it was a sign of something going on, I can't recall exactly what it was.
I was glad she saw it as it happened because it looked like I had abused the poor little dog!

As for the top knots, who knows!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Trillium...I am so sorry that you have had this awful experience. It is bad enough that they hacked up the girls top knots, but holy smokes....what a mess they made of poor Sport! His tummy is a disaster. Is that bruises I see? It looks as if their blade is not right and was pinching his skin. There is no excuse for the mess of his skin!!! The girls top knots will grow out in time but this could make Sport a wreck about his next groom. Give him a big sympathetic hug from me please!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would be concerned, there might be a medical reason for the bruising. Recently I groomed a little poodle mix, at the owners home, with her right there. After the bath while blowdrying, I noticed that everywhere I touched her started to bruise. She took her to the vet and it was a sign of something going on, I can't recall exactly what it was.
I was glad she saw it as it happened because it looked like I had abused the poor little dog!
Thanks for the thought but I don't think this is the case with Sport. He plays with Betty Jo and Jenny as well as my three kids and I've never seen bruising on him. I'd think if it were something like your experience the playing with the kids or with Betty Jo and Jenny should cause bruising too. But none the less a trip to the vet might be a good idea to check it out too just to be on the safe side. I appreciate the information.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I would say get him to your vet as soon as you can. Bloodwork should be done to make sure he doesn't have a bleeding/clotting disorder. This does not even look like something a groomer could/would do.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The bruising on poor Sport looks really bad, poor baby. I agree with going to the vet to check him out and do the blood work. It will probably help you figure out if it is something that's going on with Sport or if it was the groomer. If it's the groomer's fault, I would send her the vet bill. :(

Also, did you talk to her about the fact that you are really unhappy with haircuts? What did she say? If you haven't talked to her, I would.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She had left when I picked up the dogs so I couldn't talk to her today but I haven't been happy with the topknots the last few time and have discussed it with her several times.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I hope its something that the groomer did and not something wrong with Sport. Now I'm really worried. I'll have to talk to the vet tomorrow and make an appointment. I never thought of it being anything other then a problem with the groomer.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wow! Those look like burns-I would definitely go back to her and find out what they did. It looks like an inexperienced groomer did the dogs...does she have an intern in training? I know how you feel as one of mine had a groomer injury a few months ago-and she paid the vet bill with a lot of pushing-let us know what the vet thinks!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Poor Sport, that is unsightly. I'm glad you're going to get it checked out as then you can rule out that it's been caused by something other than the groomer.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Soooooo sorry for poor Sport, Trillium! :( I'm sending my best healing thoughts and prayers your way - please keep us updated with what you find out from the vet!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Wow! Those look like burns-I would definitely go back to her and find out what they did. It looks like an inexperienced groomer did the dogs...does she have an intern in training? I know how you feel as one of mine had a groomer injury a few months ago-and she paid the vet bill with a lot of pushing-let us know what the vet thinks!
I was going to say this same thing. I'm training myself but those look like burns to me not bruises. It looks like she used the hot blade on him and didn't change it out at all. I feel so sorry for him it's so sad that this could happen to him.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I abree that thise look mlre like burns from hot clippers or a HOT dryer than bruises but it's hard to tell from the photos. Do you have any before photos of Sport? I think documentation is a very good idea, lots of photos and vet records, therefor if it turns out to be the fault of the groomer it will be easier to protect other dogs from the same fate. Poor poor Sport! I hope you find a new groomer who will take their time undoing this experience. Poor baby :( I hope he is ok and that the experience wasn't as tramatic as it looks like it was.

Are those topknots uneven or is it just my eyes?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I abree that thise look mlre like burns from hot clippers or a HOT dryer than bruises but it's hard to tell from the photos. Do you have any before photos of Sport? I think documentation is a very good idea, lots of photos and vet records, therefor if it turns out to be the fault of the groomer it will be easier to protect other dogs from the same fate. Poor poor Sport! I hope you find a new groomer who will take their time undoing this experience. Poor baby :( I hope he is ok and that the experience wasn't as tramatic as it looks like it was.

Are those topknots uneven or is it just my eyes?
It's not your eyes they are totally uneven and she cut so far up their heads it looks ridiculous. I don't know why or how a groomer that has any experience at all would think that's a good groom on those dogs. It's just so sad.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If someone hurt one of my babies like that I would be beyond mad and upset. I would also be upset about the hackjob on the topknots. Mercury's eyelashes are so long and beautiful (as stupid as it sounds) and if someone hacked them and any other part of him like your groomer did your dogs Id be quite upset (granted I just groomed the boys myself and really didn't do a great job, but that's different).

We put so much care into our spoos coats that to have someone hack it is very upseting and beyond dissapointing. I really feel for you and your pups.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
It doesn't really look like burns to me, what it looks like to me is she used a lead to keep him standing. If he was wearing two leads and continued trying to sit down he could get those lines on his groin and legs that he has. Like this

It's not a big deal in small dogs, but if you have an overweight dog, or a large breed old dog that can't stand on it's own, you can double lead it to try and get between the legs and bum without forcing the dog to stand on it's own and cause itself pain. I don't know 100% if this is the case in your dog, but this more or less looks a bit like a medical condition to my eyes. I would get an opinion on the skin and find a new groomer. I don't know how people can't get topknots right, mine always come out amazing. (Sorry.. have to brag.. I do good topknots.)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Looks like he has more than just on his tummy... is that reddish looking on his back leg as well? (pictures 3,4,5)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I agree with others about getting a vets opinion and ask him what he thinks the cause is. Also, if he believes it has anything to do with that groomer you should take that vet bill with a letter from your vet stating the cause of the burns/bruises on the dog. It's really hard to tell, but im sure an experienced vet can definitely help you out.

As for a groomer I would personally look elsewhere if you have asked on several occasions for what you want and it never done right. A lot of times you can find reviews online, or even post an ad on craigslist, sometimes you get some decent replies from people who frequent the groomers and will have a good suggestion for you. You could even ask your Vet if they can suggest a groomer for you, some vet offices have a groomer on staff and you could always ask to speak to her as well.

Poor sport... he does look awful though and should be looked at!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
It doesn't really look like burns to me, what it looks like to me is she used a lead to keep him standing. If he was wearing two leads and continued trying to sit down he could get those lines on his groin and legs that he has. Like this

It's not a big deal in small dogs, but if you have an overweight dog, or a large breed old dog that can't stand on it's own, you can double lead it to try and get between the legs and bum without forcing the dog to stand on it's own and cause itself pain. I don't know 100% if this is the case in your dog, but this more or less looks a bit like a medical condition to my eyes. I would get an opinion on the skin and find a new groomer. I don't know how people can't get topknots right, mine always come out amazing. (Sorry.. have to brag.. I do good topknots.)
This makes perfect sense!!! Thanks. BUT I too feel that the vet should rule out any clotting issues because unless Sport was really wrenching around, this shouldn't have caused this much bruising and there is certainly way too much burning, even for a light skinned apricot.

I do good top knots too and would be happy to groom Trilliums dogs for her (especially since we co-own the girls together) but distance is an issue. I think though that the bullet will need to be bitten and have them come here. I just cannot believe what a mess she made of their heads, BUT hair will grow back and is not near the problem that Sport has.

There is a serious lack of decent groomers in this part of the world. My male Flynn has been to three different groomers in my sisters neck of the woods and OMG....every time, he is a complete disaster. So twice now he has been driven three hours each way to come here and get his haircut repaired. Seems anyoine can call themself a groomer here.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts