Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I worked at Petsomething, I learned how to make typical grooming bows and ever since then I STILL hate those bows. At my own shop, I make really collar bows, topknot bows and I buy really fancy small bows. Occasionally I buy serger edged bandanas but normally cut my own. I just bought 40 yards.....I'm making elastic collar scrunchies for a change. I also make beaded collars and bow ties and neck ties for boys.

Some clients say NO THANKS and other clients are surprised and happy with what I choose for their dog. I rarely put twin ear bows in poodles cuz they mess up the hair. When you get your dogs groomed, how do you feel about those types of free accessories? LOVE EM OR HATE EM?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I like them.
We like going to Petsmart around the holidays, as they give out collar charms.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I do most of our dogs' grooming at home, but the few times someone does go to a groomer, I think bows are cute. We request them for our 13 yr old poodle mix:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I really like them!!! Always have. My new groomer is awesome, but doesn't do the "bow" thing anymore...kinda makes me a little sad. :( lol!

If somebody doesn't like it, they can just take it off. No need to let it get their panties knotted up.

It's really sweet of you, I think.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Our groomer does really cute bandannas. For Halloween, she had boy and girl ones with ghosts and candy and things on them. Very cute. I only have one dog that gets groomed, so I only ever get the boy things... which are almost always bandannas, but I would LOVE to get a little black bow tie or something that is already on his collar when I picked him up. Seriously, I can't even stress how in love I would be with that! :D

TQ has gone to the groomer and gotten her nails clipped and painted once or twice, and even though she doesn't have much hair, they somehow managed to get a bow to stay on the back of her head... I think in the event a dog comes in that doesn't have the hair for a bow/their owners request to not get one, a pretty bauble for their collar would be cute (but probably expensive to make?). There's this lady on etsy that makes bows and flowers that you easily attach to collars with the little rubber bands (and if they break they're easy to replace). But again... seems expensive to be your groomer give-away. (LINK)

Okay... that was longer than it needed to be, but you get my point? Right? lol

Anyway... long story short, I love getting the cute accessories at the groomer, and have even contemplated going and asking them if I could buy a few different colors of their bandannas for Tate to have for everyday wear... he looks adorable in them, what can I say? :D

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
We just do bandanna's, and there's only a couple of people who have said they don't want them (the same owners that don't like collars either and will only use a harness) I don't bother with bows unless specifically requested! Apart from the rare few, everyone else loves them! :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I like bows but don't put them on a lot of the time. I have a lot of nit picky clients. The little old lady with waaaaayyyyy to much time on her hands type of people, you know the ones. I don't mind them usually, I am good at catering to that type of "Oh but fifi is my BABY" type of folks and those are the people who actually bring fifi in on a regular schedule and are willing to pay top dollar to get the best of the best. The problem is these ladies like bows so one of two things happens
A) Fifi comes back two or four weeks later (depending on what client it is and what type of schedule I have them on) and the bow is matted into the hair. :eek:hwell:

B) I band the bow in loosely so it will only hang out long enough for mommy to enjoy it for a day or so at the most and typically just a few hours and viola, I get a phone call. (frantic old lady voice here) " Leia, Fifi's bow fell out can I get another one or how do I put it back in or what do I do (umm yeah like it's the end of the world.) I then have to explain for the billionith time that the bow is TEMPORARY and is SUPPOSED to fall out or be taken out and no I cannot put it in better because remember when I have to clip fifi's ears to get the first one out? :bird:

So I don't use bows except on my more "normal" oh ok that's that maybe not a good way to put it lets try "less high strung" clients that I know I won't be looking at a huge knotted mess in a month when their dog comes back.

I don't use bandanna's much either except at Holidays. I used to all the time and I really like them. With the number of dog's I'm grooming right now though it's not worth the expense for the handful of clients who would like them. Though occasionally I happen to run across some interesting fabric for cheap and just have to have it to make my OWN dogs some "perdy" neck wear and will use the excess for client dogs. When I go back to working more of a full time schedule - of I should say IF I go back to working full time I'll probably bring the bandanna's back. People here liked them OK though they usually take them off in a day or so. I only have ONE dog who wears his forever and ewwww it's sooooo nasty when he comes back four weeks later and still has it on. Haha, they bathe him between grooms but apparently the concept of washing the collar or bandanna escapes them. (and they wonder why he still smells a bit doggy after his bath at home but not after his groom.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have Chinese Cresteds (both Hairless and Powderpuff) and a Standard Poodle. Hate the bows, first thing I do is remove them, and am annoyed by having to try to get them out/off the hair. What I care about is a clean, trimmed dog who was well taken care of while at the groomer's shop. So yes I am the other end of the "demanding" spectrum :)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I think its a thoughtful act, I know I appreciate it whenever the groomers put bows on Elphie ((she may not XD but I sure do lol ))

and my mom just gushes when Scooter gets a bandanna :D

I say go for it! if someone doesn't like it they'll take it out :] and if they do they'll remember that you gave that extra little touch to make they're furbaby a bit more extraordinary

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I only do bows upon request (when I get a female standard.. SHE WILL WEAR BOWS!) and I only do bandanas for clients I know that like them.

·
Registered
12,504 Posts
I clip my own, and would not dream of using bows, bandannas or perfume - all part of the slippery slope to putting frilly frocks on dogs, I fear! Since Poppy's top priority after grooming is to head for the muddiest, muckiest patch of field and river she can find, and have a good splash and paddle, a utility clip and daily brushing seem the more sensible way for us - but each to her own, I suppose!

·
Registered
575 Posts
P2P WHERE do you find the time to make all that stuff :) I stay so busy grooming and doing other business stuff, I couldn't ever find the time to do the FUN stuff, lol. I just buy my bows from Bardel and do bandana's on special occasions and holidays for boy dogs.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
my groomer does bandanas on all her dogs & temperance came home w/ a bandana AND a bow (of which she lost both in less than an hour)

i'm of the camp of i don't love them, but that's me. my dogs love my groomer and i'll just let her do that so my daughter can enjpy our dogs in their bandanas for a few minutes

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I have Chinese Cresteds (both Hairless and Powderpuff) and a Standard Poodle. Hate the bows, first thing I do is remove them, and am annoyed by having to try to get them out/off the hair. What I care about is a clean, trimmed dog who was well taken care of while at the groomer's shop. So yes I am the other end of the "demanding" spectrum :)
:) why don't you (politely) request NO BOWS when you go? Seems to me that a groomer would be happy to comply if they KNEW you didn't like them. Has the added plus for the groomer not to waste the ribbon you since you don't enjoy, ya know. Same thing with the bandannas, I mean those special touches cost me money after all I if I know a client doesn't like it I am just as happy to save them for somebody else. I don't figure the cost of that type of thing into the cost of grooming really, I consider it complimentary, though don't get me wrong it doesn't cost very much per bow.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
not to mention its not that big of a hassle XD
Elphies bows come off in the car...because shes to finicky and paws at her head v.v;

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
not to mention its not that big of a hassle XD
Elphies bows come off in the car...because shes to finicky and paws at her head v.v;
LoL, Yeah I can't keep bows on Wonder either, she doesn't the same thing. Saleens always ruins hers in her ears so I stopped bothering. Within five minutes of her messing with them they look all squashed and tattered... if they stay in at all that is.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
LoL, Yeah I can't keep bows on Wonder either, she doesn't the same thing. Saleens always ruins hers in her ears so I stopped bothering. Within five minutes of her messing with them they look all squashed and tattered... if they stay in at all that is.
Exactly so I've gone to making my own fancy collars/necklaces :D
Elphie has a pearl necklace ((because no real lady should be without her pearls...even if they are fakes)) that I beaded together and used an old clasp on :D she wears it when I take her in to work for her 30 minutes of fawning over ^_^

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Bows

My groomer did ear bows the first time we used her, to the absolute horror of my S.O., who has enough issues with how poodles reflect on his manhood :).

We compromise now; groomer does a collar bow in manly colours, and we're all happy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have bows, collar bows, bandannas and boy neck ties. I always ask my client's when they check in what they prefer. Most people are getting away from bows in the ears because they can't or don't bother to take out and the ears really get messed up.
On the same thyme, I offer nail painting and I have a total of 3 customers who want the dogs nails done.
Cologne and finish sprays are another issue. Alot of dogs or their owners are allergic to them. So I now always ask about that at check in time as well.
I think people like simple more these days then in times past. That's just my experience. Could be where I live too?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts