Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took off the ears. You can see in my avatar his ears and they were much longer than that. I love the look on him! I'm sorry this picture is so horrible but again with the phone. Always have my phone never have my camera.LOL

Harry says excuse his cornstarched nose. Mom clipped a toenail too short and it bled and we had no quickstop so used cornstarch. And no we didn't groom on the floor but mom had to clean up all the hair and Harry got a little frisky and ran to the neighbors yard so we had to tie him up while mom finished cleaning.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
What a good looking dog!
Great job on the groom!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Do you think his topknot needs to come down more on his nose? Because he's a pet I keep it a little further back so it's level with his eyes and he can have clear eyes.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
No, I like being able to see the eyes, personally. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very nice! I think his top knot looks perfect. I like seeing the eyes too.

How do you get it so round and symmetrical? I just ordered clippers for my little guy and am afraid of what he's going to look like when I'm done with him! :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice! I think his top knot looks perfect. I like seeing the eyes too.

How do you get it so round and symmetrical? I just ordered clippers for my little guy and am afraid of what he's going to look like when I'm done with him! :)
Oh thank you! I don't know really, I just take teeny bits off and comb it a lot. I fluff it, comb it down and forward and only take off teeny bits here and there. Then when he was sitting I went from behind and took off what I thought needed to come off to make it even from the back. You should have seen the last grooming the groomer did on him. Oh boy his topknot looked so ridiculous that my sons kept begging me to fix it but I wouldn't touch it until it grew out. It was after that that I decided to just start grooming him myself and save the money.LOL

·
Registered
38 Posts
Being new to the poodle world, I'm beginning to believe you should groom a dog to show off thier good features and minimize their bad.

We've had our poodle since July. He's a black toy rescued from a kill shelter in GA. He has deformed back legs and I'm beginning to see (from all the pictures here) not a very good representation of the breed.

His muzzle is much longer and thinner than most of the poodle I've seen on this board. I shaved it clean today and he ended up looking more like a sloth than a poodle. :)

His legs seem inordinately long too. He almost looks like a spider when he walks and I'm wondering how I can groom him to look his best.

I don't know....maybe I should just leave it to the professionals!

I'm attempting to attach a picture of him after he was groomed professionally. This is my first attempt at uploading a picture, it may take me a few tries to get one sized correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
It worked! See how long his legs are? The groomer did a nice job clipping him short all over. He wasn't thrilled about me clipping him today. I should post a picture of what he looks like today! :) Not the same at all.

Right now he's curly all over with a shaved muzzle. How do you get that nice medium length all over? Do you use the clippers or scissors? Do you bathe and blow dry them first or after?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
poodles looks best with loooooooooong legs! Leaving a bit more hair on the legs stops the spidery look, but they still should be nice and long. hehe.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Harry was trimmed a few months ago by a groomer on a 7. He was so short and I didn't like it but it's hot here and he spends a good deal of time outside so I thought it best to go shorter. I won't go that short again, he's too thin for that length of hair. I've been letting his hair grow out that's why he looks the way he does but it's not even as long as I want it. I don't know why I'm doing it really because he doesn't lift a leg and pees on his front legs all of the time. But fall is here so I think he can stand to grow out some. I didn't blow him out if you can believe it. We bathed him and let him air dry. I used the comb on him to fluff him up.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice groom job! He looks very good in that cut. I am not a fan of shaved ears at all, but it actually suites his face and the clip you gave him. :)

BTW, I notice the grooming case in the pic. I have been thinking of getting one of those. Is that the one on wheels or the smaller one? And, how do you like it??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts