Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tried my hand at grooming tonight. I bought a pair of Andis clippers and went to town. I think I may have shaved her chest a little wide and too far down. I didn't touch her top knot and ears as I want them to grow. I tried to blend as best I could. I just have to touch up with the scissors, haven't done that yet. So I just thought I'd share! Don't laugh! :)

Who knew there was a poodle under there?

p.s. Maybe that's too many pics, but I had fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
ohh soo cute!!!! Yup you have shaved a little too much on both the neck (go to just below the 'adams apple') and the tail (only shave about an inch, certainly no more than 2 inches) but it is a good job and he looks sooooooooooo much better with a slick smooth face!!! WELL DONE!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention the tail too! She kept moving and I clipped a chunk up too high and it just kept getting higher and higher up, ...lol. But I guess the Pom is kind of fun, my younger siblings will like it. :p

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Nice job on the trim! Not too many pics; never too many pics...LOL Yep, got a bit high on that tail but I'm not laughing....promise! She looks so much better.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Aww! She's precious! She looks GREAT after having her face shaved. :)
Don't worry, I have shaved too far down on the chest too (more than once haha)!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Great job!! It is so fun isn't it?! I can't believe how long she was when you started! That makes it even harder! I have never let Rogan get that long, now I'm curious to see what he'd look like all shaggy like that! lol but I don't think I could stand it! I shave his face weekly. You did a great job! Thanks for sharing with us!!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I'm not going to lie, clipping is fun and it's hard to stop.

^.^
YUP!!!! :lol: Great job and it'll keep getting easier and easier and you'll wonder why you didn't start earlier! :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
She looks alot like a portugese water dog....in fact if someone comments on lack of grooming skills, tell them you WANTED her this way. I often turn my poodles into other breeds on purpose. I'm always thrilled if someones asks "Its that a portie or is that a bichon?" It shows me they know their breeds and my grooming is correct (for that breed) If you have 7 dogs like me, it gets boring always making poodles faces, feet and tails....its fun to be different.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Wow, what a difference!!! I LOVE the clean shaven face on a poodle, they look so much better, you can see their expression and the lovely face! And he has a lovely face! Who would have thought under all that hair...lol.

The others already mentioned the trim. For show, we do two finger length from the base of the top of the tail, that is all that is trimmed off. I made the same mistake on Grace when I first did her tail.. not as much off as you took but definitely way too much....lol. We all live and learn! His tail looks like a Portuguese Water dog's tail, that is how they do theirs....lol... bet he looks absolutely cute with it like that!!

I think you did a great job for your first time. You'll only get better!!! :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a fun doing it. I have to agree that I let her get way too long. I feel guilty as I have been sick for the last month. It started out as what I thought was Salmonella, but it turns out that wasn't it. After being hospitalized it turns out that it was only viral and that with my immuno suppression I just couldn't get better (due to type 1 diabetes). I get sick so easily especially in a new area of the country with new bugs everywhere. I just didn't have the energy to do much more then cuddle and feed her. And her tail does look like a PWD. haha!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts