Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question has probably been asked at some point but thought I’d ask it as there is always a new batch of folks reading and posting.

So....do you groom before you bring your poodle to be groomed professionally? I always do. I’m pretty good with keeping up on Bobby’s
in-between grooming although I wish I felt confident enough to shave his face. I do want to learn that at some point. That’s another thread though.

Anyway, I keep him cleaned, and brushed and combed well and I do the sanitary trim too as I definitely can’t wait weeks for that! I have to sometimes wait longer than I like...7 weeks this time which is too long for my liking. I like to bring him to the groomer every 4 to 5 weeks. I have to book weeks in advance. Anyway, all that to say, I have this thing where I like him to be clean, look good and have his coat nice and brushed/combed out before professional grooming day.

As I was grooming him today, I was thinking it seems silly as he’s going to the groomer tomorrow but I just had to get him “ready” to go.😉 Anybody else do this? I think it’s because I want the groomer to know I take good care of him. It’s a small grooming place and he’s had the same groomer since he was a puppy so I know she knows I take good care of him. I guess it’s just a thing. 😊😂

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I groom my own dogs but on the rare occasions they went to a groomer, I didn’t do the job before bringing them in, lol ! It seems silly to pay for something you’ve already done...

To me brushing them before and making sure their ears are cleaned would be enough.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I don’t bathe him or anything like that. I just make sure he’s well brushed and combed and that all parts look reasonably clean. I just was laughing at myself because knowing he is going for his groom tomorrow and knowing he’s in good shape, I still couldn’t just let it go. 😁

·
Super Moderator
1,627 Posts
Being active dogs who got into all manner of filth, Pogo and Snarky's coats were usually a lost cause when they went in. I put my energy into the ears, tail, and topknot to try to prevent the need for a shave down. (Sadly, not always successfully.) The rest of the dog got trimmed short.

·
Super Moderator
5,685 Posts
I'm a bad poodle mama. I rarely groom Peggy and put my full faith in our excellent groomer. It helps that she's kept quite short.

All I really do is brush out her tail occasionally, and sometimes her topknot and ears. She's started seeking out her brush, which I think is pretty cute. But I'm not good at grooming. Even the simple stuff.

(And that not just with dogs! I'm bad with styling my own hair, too. It doesn't come naturally to me.)

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
If I took Misha to a professional groomer I would be the same way, and I'm sure they appreciate you making their job easier. Misha is brushed out daily and has FFS done weekly because I can't stand him looking unkempt. I'm a bit crazy though. Better over brushed than under brushed. I'm sure they appreciate not having to demat.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I groom Fluffy myself, but when he did go to a groomer, I usually tried to give him a pre-groom. I just felt so bad if I left a bunch of tangles for the groomer to work through, lol. And it’s kind of akin to brushing your teeth before the dentist, I guess—you don’t want them to see you slacking!

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
I groom my minipoo. Like Floofy when I did take her I freshly combed and brushed her completely.

Good groomers expect your dog to have no mats. If your dog has mats, they will charge you extra to comb them out before they start. Detangling a poodle takes extra time that the groomer didn’t allot for in their schedule or in the price they charge.

I also think like you, when I brought my dog in I wanted her to look well cared for and loved. I think groomers appreciate it. It shows them respect and they will be happy to help you for those times when your dog gets into mischief and needs help from the groomer.

Reactions: Spottytoes

·
Registered
333 Posts
I always kept my 60 pound poodle combed out in between groomer visits. It made such a difference in how he looked (and smelled). I agree with doing a comb out before going to the groomer. It makes their job easier. Grooming a sixty pound poodle is not easy.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe it depends on the coat too. We keep Bobby pretty short but if I don’t do a good brush and comb through on a regular basis, generally a couple times a week, he starts getting little knots. He has a super thick coat.

·
Super Moderator
5,685 Posts
Maybe it depends on the coat too. We keep Bobby pretty short but if I don’t do a good brush and comb through on a regular basis, generally a couple times a week, he starts getting little knots. He has a super thick coat.
I wonder if Peggy's not finished her coat change yet and that's why it's still not a problem for us. Her ears and tail definitely get those little knots if I'm not careful. Maybe the back of her hind legs a bit, too.

But places that were problematic on my last girl (like those dreaded armpits!) are so far a non-issue with Peggy.

I've probably gone and jinxed myself now.....

·
Registered
7,307 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
I do a pregroom of Violet a few hours or a day before she goes in. I do it for her. I want her to have a good experience, and a shorter visit seems like it would help a young dog tolerate all that. When I groom at home I spread it out over a day, or maybe two for the same reason.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha, then your groomer will be even more expensive.
In all seriousness, while expensive, I really do love our groomer. She’s groomed Bobby since he was a little pup and I really am happy to pay as she does a fabulous job and has always worked with me as a team. She really listens. Bobby is always happy to go to the groomer and he’s a happy boy when he’s done. She has earned every cent we’ve paid. We appreciate so much all of her hard work. I would like to learn to do a full groom myself but I’m just not quite ready for that yet. Perhaps this next year I will try to tackle a face trim as I like Bobby’s face to be nice and velvety short.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I feel like this is something I would do for Basil for a few reasons:

-Pre Covid I would always wash hair prior to going to the barber

-I feel like a poodles owners standard of care is a notch above the rest because Siba won 2020 westminsters best in show and that put us on the public stage.. so I try to put in a little more effort then necessary when training and brushing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yep I do give Beau a good comb out the night before he goes to the groomer {I thought I was the only one ;)}. I do comb him at least once a week anyway, but I just have to make sure he has no matts/snarls.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Before Covid I was being trained by Phoebe's groomer on how to groom her myself, I like to think of her as my mentor. So I definitely made sure Phoebe was super brushed out, I would bathe/dry her when we arrived at her shop and then she would teach me as we groomed. So I completely understand you when it comes to pre-grooming before you go, hopefully we can go back to her soon but due to covid I have been on my own. :cry:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts