Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I love this site and joined a few years ago when I first got my male spoo, but never posted!

Just wanted to say hi and thank you (for all the posts I’ve read and all those I have yet to read). I could talk about my spoo all day! : )

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Hi! Looking forward to hearing about your spoo!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Rose n Poos! My 5 yo male is the typical active, high energy, curious, smart, clownish poodle. He makes us laugh on a daily basis with his antics, which is good because he’s not always the best behaved! : ) He likes to be engaged and if not, he’ll find a job we may or may not like. He is the light of our lives and I got him when he was 6 mos old after he was returned to the breeder. He was initially bought by an older couple, but was too much energy for them and he had a lot of behavior problems.

LOTS of training later and he’s come a long way! He’s perfect for us in every way and keeps life interesting. He definitely is head strong and doesn’t always like to be told what to do, but with persistence and patience he is thriving.

Unfortunately, last year he developed a persistent cough and we eventually took him for tests at an animal hospital where he was diagnosed with laryngeal paralysis, laryngitis, and acid reflux. I was devastated. Apparently the condition is rare in young dogs and spoos. Fortunately, he’s largely asymptomatic so lifestyle and environmental changes are how we’ve managed it. We’re working with a holistic vet to change over to a raw diet which seems to have improved the coughing. It makes me sad because he is high energy and high prey drive but cannot do lure coursing or agility because of his condition. I’ve also noticed he can’t lay on his back for long or he’ll sneeze and have trouble breathing, which I suspect is related to the lar par diagnosis and not a breed specific thing (?).

Anyway, I love poodles and now my husband does too. I’ve always loved animals, and dogs, but the poodle has stolen my heart!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
It's hard to learn of health issues, but poodles are usually adaptable. They'll take their cues from their people and so long as they feel the love, they'll manage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts