Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,992 Posts
Welcome and oh boy has winter arrived suddenly! We are getting snow in the NYC metro area right now. Driving home from work was a bear.

I do have snow suits and boots for my standards, but only put them on if they are going to really be out and playing for a while. Theirs are MuttLuks for both boots and coats. For just cold weather without worrying over snow mess they both have Foggy Mountain turnout coats.

Reactions: elephantsneeze

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Maybe I'm a cruel dog mama, but I let my poodles play in the the snow until they ask to come in. No coats, no boots. If I were going to walk a dog in a place that had been salted, I would use boots. If my dog had a really close clip on the body (with a 10 blade, for example), I might use a coat. So far, neither of those situations has occurred, so they just play without any clothes.

It gets fairly cold here - we still have a trace of snow from a very small snowfall (less than an inch) on Sunday. On Monday and Tuesday it did not get above freezing at all. The coldest temperature we ever had here was -16 F, but that's really rare. I live in north-central New Mexico between Albuquerque and Santa Fe at an altitude of 6100 ft.

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Maybe just the booties for now. Pluto is going to be his true size next winter, something to keep in mind because the good gear is pricey. Welcome to you and Pluto. I love the Spoo boys!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Welcome to PF and glad you are no longer lurking and hopefully will join in! Can't help you with any cold weather gear advice....I live in S Calif, LOL!

Reactions: elephantsneeze

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Maybe some boots and a coat depending on how cold it gets and how long he is outdoors. I wouldn't buy expensive things this year just essentials. I live in the southern USA so I really don't know the weather conditions you have except its old n probably snowy. LOL

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I'm with Johanna. My poodles love the snow and we do not use coats or boots. But I do try to be careful about not walking on sidewalks/streets that have been salted. When it is really cold, our walks tend to be short, and I watch for build-up of snow balls in their fur or feet. Usually I get cold before they do.

Old dogs feel the cold more than young dogs and may need some protection, but you have a long way to go before you have to worry about that!

Best wishes to you and your blue puppy!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Hi and welcome.

Your dog may not need a coat unless you're out for long periods of time. The problem is salt on roads and walkways and snow trapped in their hair turning into snow/ice balls. Try to avoid salt, wash and dry their feet if you come into contact with it. If you can't avoid it, look for boots- frankly I haven't found boots that work for my dog so I struggle with this.

Ice balls forming in long hair is a problem and a pain to deal with. You can keep your dog's hair clipped short on their legs or you can cover that area up in a snowsuit or boots.

If you do buy a coat, look for dog blanket style - similar to a horse blanket where you lay the coat on their back and pull the velcro straps around their neck and around their waist. This style is much easier to get on than something that has to go over the head. If you get a lot of rain/wet snow look for waterproof material and if you get a lot of wind, look for a windproof material.

As mentioned by others, your dog will outgrow this coat so don't spend too much.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Your dog has a fine coat for winter. Just keep it longer until the warm weather comes back. I’m from Quebec and use no coats or boots on my toy poodles.

The only time you really need boots is if you walk where there is salt. This will burn your pup’s feet. Or, if you plan to walk your dog more than a few minutes when it’s really cold.

Enjoy the happy times !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We live in a densely-packed area of the city with salt on every sidewalk and the temperature is typically -30 C in the winter. My city was literally colder than Mars last winter. It's only November and it's already -15 C on some days.

Pluto loves to frolic in the snow, which leads to snowballs all over his legs so I cut his hair down to half an inch. I'm worried about him getting cold, especially because he likes to hang out on the balcony and spy on the neighbourhood.

We tried the Muttlucks during his evening walk, and he didn't hate them. I got him a Chilly Dogs coat, but it won't be here until the end of the week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts