Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad I found this forum! My wife and I picked our first poodle, Samantha (my avatar picture) July 2007. She was joined by Louis, Feburary 2009. As opposed to most situations, I had to do the convincing to get poodles! She had dog-sat some naughty Standards as a teenager who were allowed to run the house (up on the dining room table, counter surfing and etc) which left a bad taste. I grew up in a small town in NJ with a black standard also named Louis ( not much imagination here!), so not much convincing needed here. Louis was the greatest - protective (wouldn't let strangers close) but a great swimming pal in the lake behind the house.
Once you have a poodle - you understand . . . :)
Our current Louis is a show prospect, and at 11 months really has the right temperment for the job - completely unflappable - nothing bothers this boy. I've handled him in puppy classes in three shows, he and I beat a pro handler and a nice dog . . . didn't get the points though . . .(9 mo at the time). He's a bit of a live wire (nicknames are 'Mosh Pit', 'California Boy' and 'Free Love'), and enjoys a good time. After dismissing the idea of a second poodle, Louis became a 'gift' for my wife who just had to have him! Since we were flooded out in April of 2009, we didn't have a chance to take lots Louis pictures. His training also lapsed, but were making a good comeback. Oh - and smart too . . . 'Mosh Pit' knows how to open doors . . . very scary.
Samantha is our first one, and quite the intelligent and odd beast she is. Highly intelligent, she organizes her toys from order of most to least prefered on top of her pillow. She'll growl and snap at the boy if he messes with her system (we have to ensure that he does get chew toys by supplying too many for her to control). You might see her in show coat in early pictures, as we were thinking of showing her . . . but a major fault (tail set) dashed those ideas. Most of the rest of her is conformationally correct, but it would be an uphill battle for an AKC Ch. It's already tough enough! She is very birdy, has killed at least two birds in the back yard that we know of. Her moto is 'Hit the back door running, you might catch one napping'! She currently excells in obedience, we have a good chance at CDX or better . . . CD is probably a no-brainer for her.

Both are wonderful with children, and as special ed teacher, my wife especially appreciates the hypo-allergenic poodle coat (less/no dander or something like that). Many of the children she teaches have depressed immuno-responses . . .

Here are a couple of pictures . . . more to follow . . . enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Beautiful pups! Welcome! I have a friend that does obedience with her Sibes, and she is encouraging me to do the same with my spoos. I'll be excited to hear more about Samantha & Louis!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am in the process of trying to talk my Husband into getting a second Standard. Gracie is 15 months. She is my first Standard Poodle and the first time that I have had only one dog. Wish me luck on getting another.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am in the process of trying to talk my Husband into getting a second Standard. Gracie is 15 months. She is my first Standard Poodle and the first time that I have had only one dog. Wish me luck on getting another.
Hey Alicia! You Red Spoo is gorgeous!! Can I ask where you got her? btw - :welcome: to the forum!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi Heather,

I did alot of research....finally decided on Cantope. They are in Pefferlaw, Ontario. She has the best temperment. I am new to Poodles. I have had German Shepherds and Belgian Tervurens all my life. This is a change for me. Also the first time in my life that I have lived without dog hair! That....I can get used to.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hi Heather,

I did alot of research....finally decided on Cantope. They are in Pefferlaw, Ontario. She has the best temperment. I am new to Poodles. I have had German Shepherds and Belgian Tervurens all my life. This is a change for me. Also the first time in my life that I have lived without dog hair! That....I can get used to.
yes, I'm familiar with Canope, they're not far from me actually.
Gracie looks beautiful! And yes, the lack of dog hair is a wonderful bonus!! Poodles are an amazing breed, I am just experiencing that for myself for the first time as well!! :clover:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks . . .

Thanks for the welcome!
We'll be showing Louis in conformation @ the two show next and the following week at the Houston Farm and Ranch in the West Houston/Bear Creek area. Later in the month he'll be @ Conroe as well. I won't be showing him, as he is much more concerned about where my wife is at when he's with me.
Welcome! Your dogs are beautiful. I also think it's great to have more males on here. LOL :welcome:
More male poodles or humans?:doh:
Thanks . . . When I go to dog shows I spend a good bit of my time convincing men that no, these are NOT Foo Foo dogs . . . It's easy to become confused with the 'show cut' poof as a testament to how these dogs are away from the show environment. I tell them that what you see is an extremely fanciful interpretation of a pragmatic European coat structure to protect the dog from underbrush during the hunt. The clip is designed to help keep the important parts warm and the rest flexible. Guys - don''t get put-off by the unresolved Barbie-Doll fantasies that seem to be prevalent in the breed today. Technically, I can show him in a modified continental hunting cut - but I've been told that his chances of winning in any one particular show is greatly reduced . . . This shows, of course, a need for continued Judges educational program by the PCA.
I further tell them the time, about a year ago, that I surprised my wife and Samantha (~20 months @ the time) when I returned early and walked into a darkened hallway(we have a open/cathedral ceiling plan in the front our house). I saw about a 5 foot long white streak running right towards me at full clip growling in a very serious way! I had to immediately start talking and she put on the brakes a bit short and did the '...oops I didn't know it was you' :confused: walk with a wagging tail and lowered head. If I hadn't said anything, she would of made a messy print on the front door with me as the stamp! . . . No, they don't have the intimidation factor of Dobie(My male, when grown, will probably out-weight many Dobies - the doc guessed at 60-65 lbs lean - probably closer to 70), but the teeth are just as sharp - and that night she was ready to use them! I told my wife many times before that night that poodles are excellent at the guard, and are very protective. Just because they are sweet to you and family doesn't mean they have the same opinion of uninvited miscreants! She didn't believe me, and dismissed my claim as some kind of fantasy( . . . Do you really think that sweet puff-ball will defend me?). That night Samantha proved me right!!

Thanks again for the Welcome

Mark, Jamie and Poodle Gangsters . . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts