Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Newbie here... We have two standard poodles, L.E. Belle (19 months), and Murphy ("Smurfy," 6 months). They have always been in a "Teddy Bear Clip," but tomorrow they get their first real poodle clips! I do have a question, though - Smurfy is a really solid puppy - 52 lbs and about 24-25 inches (hard to measure that as accurately!). What kind of cut would look best on him? I appreciate all the suggestions I can get!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hi! Newbie here... We have two standard poodles, L.E. Belle (19 months), and Murphy ("Smurfy," 6 months). They have always been in a "Teddy Bear Clip," but tomorrow they get their first real poodle clips! I do have a question, though - Smurfy is a really solid puppy - 52 lbs and about 24-25 inches (hard to measure that as accurately!). What kind of cut would look best on him? I appreciate all the suggestions I can get!
the GUNTHER cut!! (search the forum for Gunther pics you'll see what I mean!) :)
Can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum.
Don't forget to post pictures.
I've been trying to upload pictures ever since I joined the forum. I can't seem to attach them to a post. It just keeps saying "upload failed." :confusffed:

This weekend I'll try to find out how to do that. Until then, I posted an album titled "Smurfy." He's there in all his poufy glory :) These pics were taken just after we bathed and dried him.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Agreed, some sort of gunther clip would look good.
Shave his face, give him fluffy legs, and just a wee bit shorter on the body and he will look adorable. And make his top knot not too short, but merging in a bit with his ears, as puppies look really cute like that.
Just my suggestion This was my grandparents spoo pup when he was 6-7 months

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! It looks like he is a big boy, too! Beautiful, or should I say "very handsome"! I appreciate the advice - I'm meeting with the groomer tomorrow to work out the final details for both my dogs. I didn't know there was so much to decide - the teddy bear trim is so easy. I'm sure they will get just as much attention, just probably from different people. A lot of people are curious - they just want to know what kind of dog he is. There won't be any doubt after Monday! I'm very excited!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There are a ton of good pictures on this site as well as links to other cuts. Personally similar to the lamb cut or variations of that are the most appealing as well as easier to maintain. However I like the Bikini in the Sumer for my girls. I like the top knot blended into the ear and not carved out. Especially when they are younger like Smurfy.
http://www.patriotpoodles.com/i/Sam5.jpg This is Bindi, my red stnadrd girl at about 7 months in a Puppy clip. http://www.patriotpoodles.com/i/B_ProGroom1_1.jpg http://www.patriotpoodles.com/i/B_ProGroom7a_1.jpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What great pictures! Your puppies are beautiful! We've had our Spoos clipped short for summer - it gets pretty hot here and we wanted to take them to the ponds so it is much easier to take care of when it's short...

I've been looking at Gunther's clip - I really like it! You are right - there are a lot of great pictures here. What a beautiful, versatile animal the poodle is:) Even if they have the same basic clip they look different! Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Smurfy & L.E. Belle - Groomed!

They have faces! They were just hidden under all that fur! This is the first real poodle do (Lamb Clip) for my two spoos! They've been in Teddy Bear Clips since we got them. Smurfy is 6 months (he's the darker one), and L.E. Belle is 19 months (light apricot - probably a cream now). They are neck and neck in height (although he outweighs her about 5 lbs now).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
OMG I LOVE the new looks!! They are just gorgeous! And you're right, they have faces!! I much prefer them like this!!
How do you like the new do? Did it take some time to get use to? I bet you thought they were someone else's dogs! They look SO different!! Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I LOVE their new look! It is so good to really "see" them! I was wondering - L.E. Belle is much lighter now than she was as a little puppy. When they lighten like that, are they considered "cream" or still "apricot"? Just curious...

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts