Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 month old mini poodle Mimi has some compulsive oral habits.
1) constantly eating grass obsessively
2) eating her own poop
3) chewing small rocks in her mouth

She also started chasing and biting her tail and scratching, although I’m sure she doesn’t have fleas.

More often than not her stools are soft with bits of undigested food and grass visible. She has occasional bouts of diarrhea and sometimes 3AM retching, usually white foam.

Her poop color isn’t normal but may be due to the teaspoon of pumpkin I’ve been adding to her food?

The vet has eliminated parasites as a cause.

I suspect she may have food allergies and sent off to get a Hemopet scan.

I also suspect a possible digestive enzyme problem & just started giving her NatureVet Coprophagia Treats that have natural ingredients to boost enzymes, but I’m afraid it may be causing the latest bout of diarrhea and didn’t seem to stop the poo eating anyway.

Before I had also tried adding a small bit of mango to her food for the coprophagia, it seemed to work at first but didn’t last.

The way I manage the poop eating is to always be with her when she goes out to do her business. Luckily I used the treat for poos & pees method of house training, so her first instinct is to run to me for her reward which gives me the chance to pick up her poo before she gets to it.

On a personal note, now that she is pretty well house trained it’s become a chore to have to monitor her constantly in the yard when we’d both be much happier if I could just open the door and give her freedom to play outside.

The vet suggested I try putting an Out Fox Field Guard ( https://www.outfoxfordogs.com ) on her to prevent her from eating grass, etc. It’s a tool used for hunting dogs to keep them safe from foxtails.

It arrived and I put it on her for the first time this morning. What a relief! Well, she’s not crazy about it but she’ll get used to it and I can leave her in the yard for short periods without worrying.

Meanwhile I continue to investigate root causes of her health issues. Through all of this she’s been a happy, energetic otherwise normal puppy.

I thought at first she would outgrow the oral behaviors but reading up on each manifestation as it appeared, I now realize that I was being naive and that I need to step in proactively to resolve or manage Mimi’s issues.

Thanks for letting me unload my worries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Your insights and research seem to have led you to a very good plan for managing these issues. The only other thing I can think of to do is to teach her "leave it" as a general dommand to stop doing/eating whatever is going on.

We had poo eating issues with Peeves. Leave it and cleaning the yard took care of it.

Reactions: doditwo

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lily, was Peeves eventually cured of it or do you still need to manage?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
22,879 Posts
Nope, he stopped with some due diligence on our part his first year. We now still maintain a clean yard, but he hasn't really shown interest in a long time.

Reactions: doditwo

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, he stopped with some due diligence on our part his first year. We now still maintain a clean yard, but he hasn't really shown interest in a long time.

Thanks! That gives me some hope, all I’ve read here and elsewhere makes it seem incurable but also what I’ve found were discussions about adult dogs not puppies.

Mimi’s poop eating is limited from what I’ve observed so far, she only eats her own & if she happens to poop when we go on walks she’s totally uninterested in eating it and just wants us to hurry and continue on the exciting adventure. That tells me boredom is also a factor, but unfortunately I can’t provide her 24x7 adventure lol.

Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts