Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20210206_093357.jpg

15 1/2 year old Gracie had a visit to the vet an exam and blood tests, seems healthy but is hypertensive, so blood pressure meds will be tried and she will be rechecked in a month. Vet said that she might have a stroke because it's that high, a stroke is how I lost Flower so Iam a little worried. Gracie seems normal but still, also Grace has alot tartar build up but the vet says not to worry unless it gets worse.
This is a dog I have a love hate relationship with and I want to cry, please think good thoughts for her

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
I hope the medicines help - Pippin-cat was on drugs for hypertension for a while, but his was because of hyperthyroidism. Once that was sorted his blood pressure dropped back down. He tolerated them very well - I don't recall any issues at all.

You have worked so hard with Gracie, and she is a living, tangible link to your mother - I can absolutely understand the gut wrenching anxiety. You have caught the problem before the damage is done, though, and doing everything possible to prevent it causing problems in the future, and that is all we can do. Hugs to you, and the animal family.

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,719 Posts
Aw bummer, I'm sorry that the news wasn't better. You take such good care of all your dogs, Twyla. Hold her close, and we'll hold you both in our hearts.

·
Premium Member
6,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kinda a surprise, Gracie has never been a a dog I could soothe by petting or holding, today however after a difficult blood draw she was returned to my car and Gracie was happy to snuggle next to me under a blanket I offered up, a first.
Thank you all for your kind words and yes she is a tangible link to my mom. I will try as always to keep her comfy and good stead, I have found a tooth gel that has worked well for me in the past so I will try that a meds time.

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
I had good results with Petzlife Oral Care Gel - unfortunately both Sophy and Poppy absolutely hate it, so we have compromised on Virbac. The Petzlife one really did help clear tartar, though.

Reactions: twyla

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
Sorry to hear of Gracie's problems- hope you and the vet can control with medication.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I'll be thinking of you and Gracie.

Reactions: twyla

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Keeping your Gracie in good thoughts and hope she does well. My old chihuahua also had bad teeth full of tarter, in fact he lost many of them. At his old age couldn't put him thru anesthesia but he made it thru to 18. I recently started adding some tarter rinse to the dogs water bowl, I do it every other day because I just don't like adding stuff but its really helping. I bought it a PetsMart.
(tropiclean-fresh-breath-oral-care-water-additive)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts