Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gracie is ten months old now and has been training agility foundations. She was doing well until a couple months ago when she discovered zooming around the course was way more fun than paying attention to me.

My trainer suggested I switch her for a while to a quieter class, as the class she was in had a lot of high energy dogs like her. She said Gracie was getting way too much reinforcement from the zoomies and the energy of the class was fueling it. I needed to break that pattern before it became a habit.

So, I adjusted my work schedule and we switched to a different class for a couple months. Worked on just a few obstacles at a time, mostly on leash except for brief periods where I left the leash dangling. We did a lot of work on impulse control and long waits at home and in class.

I am happy to report it appears to have worked! We were able to go back to the original class this week.Gracie was happy to see her friends from the first class but was also able to settle down and focus. I ran her off leash and she did great. Ran 15 obstacle courses and stayed with me, even had a good lead out. Had one moment where she ran to greet the trainer mid course but came right back when i called her and finished the course. I was so proud, and relieved!

No agility pics, but here’s a couple recent ones of her. I do love this girl, even when she’s naughty!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Teacup Agility anyone?

Double post

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
She’s gorgeous. You were wise to switch to a quieter class.

Reactions: Nahama

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!
I can’t take credit for the decision, my trainer suggested it, she is great and I am very fortunate to have her in my dogs’ lives. She helped Lily so much.

The first class is all hard core competitors and when we went back last week, several people remarked to me that Gracie was doing very well. That felt good, and gave me encouragement that we’re doing the right things!

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
She’s stunning ! I’m glad she is enjoying agility and making progress. You must be a proud mom !

·
Registered
44 Posts
Gracie is ten months old now and has been training agility foundations. She was doing well until a couple months ago when she discovered zooming around the course was way more fun than paying attention to me.

My trainer suggested I switch her for a while to a quieter class, as the class she was in had a lot of high energy dogs like her. She said Gracie was getting way too much reinforcement from the zoomies and the energy of the class was fueling it. I needed to break that pattern before it became a habit.

So, I adjusted my work schedule and we switched to a different class for a couple months. Worked on just a few obstacles at a time, mostly on leash except for brief periods where I left the leash dangling. We did a lot of work on impulse control and long waits at home and in class.

I am happy to report it appears to have worked! We were able to go back to the original class this week.Gracie was happy to see her friends from the first class but was also able to settle down and focus. I ran her off leash and she did great. Ran 15 obstacle courses and stayed with me, even had a good lead out. Had one moment where she ran to greet the trainer mid course but came right back when i called her and finished the course. I was so proud, and relieved!

No agility pics, but here’s a couple recent ones of her. I do love this girl, even when she’s naughty!

Wonderful - so glad to hear. Gracie is a stunning girl - she's still so young to rein in that boundless poodle puppy energy. I'll bet that 10 months from now she'll be amazing at agility. Where are you training?

Warmly, --Nicola

Saratoga's Willow Walks Well, CGC, CGCA, CGCU - WILLOW (mpoo)
Glow Streadfast Lady Leia Aki - KIKI (mpoo)
Saratoga's Amor by Valentine - AMOR (Maltese)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dechi, I am very proud of her.

Nahama, We train at High Goal Farm in Greenwich, love it there!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Dechi, I am very proud of her.

Nahama, We train at High Goal Farm in Greenwich, love it there!

Small world! I used to train at High Goal Farm with my Maltese girl Sylphide (b. 2003, d. 2015). She loved it there! Unfortunately, we had to stop when she was five due to her serious chronic illnesses. With excellent medical care, Sylphide made it to 12 years old before succumbing to congestive heart failure. She was a very special girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small world! I used to train at High Goal Farm with my Maltese girl Sylphide (b. 2003, d. 2015). She loved it there! Unfortunately, we had to stop when she was five due to her serious chronic illnesses. With excellent medical care, Sylphide made it to 12 years old before succumbing to congestive heart failure. She was a very special girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a small world! I’m sorry to hear of your girl’s health problems, but it sounds like you were able to give her a good quality of life despite it all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts