Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard some anecdotal information about how color can be linked to personality. As the colors tend to be a bit in bread and personality traits are passed down, I suspect there maybe some validity to this - particularly as it relates to the less common colors. My question is this. Has anyone heard anything about the supposed personality of the silver poos? I have a black, Stella, who I adore, however, I am interested in getting her a friend and am fond of the silver.:)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Welcome! This is a question that comes up often and from my understanding it is false - but I am sure there some that favor similar attitudes.

I have an apricot standard Olie and silver Suri

Olie and Suri are really complete opposites but balance pretty well together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the personality of silver poodles

I suspect that the similarities in personality have more to do with gene line then color line. People tend to breed for color and therefor, pups from the same line tend to be dominated by the same color, accounting for the view that X color has X personality. I'm sure that a black pup and a brown pup from the same litter would have similar personalities.

You said that both of your dogs are very different. How so?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes Grace... it's really the lines they are coming from but of course then, if you have a certain temperament (softer, lets say) in your silver and breed to another softer... there you go. That's why I do like to bring in a little bit of 'pep' into the line as well. I can get more of that with blacks and whites.
Now blue... <BG> are just perfect!!!
I'm getting my silvers to be a bit of both... one thing I can say is that they are very easy to train. They need very little correction and that is always a plus!

I just posted a picture of the first pup to leave... he is silver.
Karen

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
That's right. If you breed a soft tempered dog to a soft tempered dog their offspring will be softer tempered. My Mom bred blacks for years, then fell in love with silvers and began breeding them. Her silvers were no different in personality or disposition than her blacks were. I breed reds and feel they are the same as the dogs I grew up loving. I feel 90% of their temperament comes from the way they are raised, and if they have a strong foundation from the first weeks with the breeder, and go on to loving homes, there should not be any difference. I do know there are lines in most of the breeds that can have ugly dispositions, but then they would be lines to avoid breeding to. I don't believe it is colour, because you will find that in all of the lcolours, and nearly every breed.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I have some experience with silvers having had two. Both of my silvers were/are a bit high energy and very intense, And yes Desert Reef both very smart and easy to train..
I however breed reds and love the soft snuggly temperment of my reds, but we practicly live in the whelping box with them..So I do not think it is color related but the way that they are raised. We feel like temperment if foremost in breeding any dogs.. Our reds and the Apricots are velcro dogs..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Velcro", what a perfect description! I have a black who would climb inside of you if she could. She doesn't sit by you, she sits on your foot!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Ask alot of questions from a breeder that you can trust. Ask to see testing..
OFFA.Org lists all the testing that a breeder has done PHR will reseach a bloodline for you and list any health problenms that line may have produced. Try and find someone that will be honest with you. If you get a bad feeling keep looking :) There are some really good honest breeders out there..

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've found that people here and elsewhere are pretty honest, when you ask about the temperment of certain bloodlines. (That's just my experience.) Temperment is one of the hard things to find info on b/c it's not like health testing that can be proven of documented. If you find a breeder you like, I highly suggest you ask here, publicly or PM someone you trust who might know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts