Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all! Merry Christmas! In about two weeks I’ll be heading to pick up my lil pup! He is a spoo and he is the biggest in his litter, I was wonder how y’all would suggest transporting him since it’s about an 8hour drive. I have a car seat that I used for my last doggo but she was a bichon and I’m not sure if he will be too big for it? I also have a travel kennel from her and it’s the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
If you are doing all of the driving yourself then you must have a crate. How old will your pup be when you make your gotcha journey? Javelin was one of the bigger pups in his litter and he was about 8 pounds at 9 weeks old and fit in a crate I had for one of my larger Maine Coon cats with no problem. Lily who was a little smaller when she came home also used that crate. If you are very sure your pup won't fit maybe you can borrow one that would be right. My siggy pic is Javelin on pick day at which point he was about 6.5 weeks old and weighed probably about 7 pounds or a bit more if thaat helps you as a point of reference.

Reactions: Hurrayitsmk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are doing all of the driving yourself then you must have a crate. How old will your pup be when you make your gotcha journey? Javelin was one of the bigger pups in his litter and he was about 8 pounds at 9 weeks old and fit in a crate I had for one of my larger Maine Coon cats with no problem. Lily who was a little smaller when she came home also used that crate. If you are very sure your pup won't fit maybe you can borrow one that would be right. My siggy pic is Javelin on pick day at which point he was about 6.5 weeks old and weighed probably about 7 pounds or a bit more if thaat helps you as a point of reference.
Thankfully one of my best friends is driving with me so I won’t be making the trip by myself. I’m picking him up when he is 8 weeks. That does help! It makes me feel a lot better about him fitting in the carrier crate I have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
I am glad you will have company! I would suggest bringing a couple of trash bags, a roll of paper towels and nature's miracle in the event of car sickness. Also make sure to put the pup down away from heavily dog trafficked area at stopping points. Bring an old towel or two to rub on pup/s mom and any siblings still at the breeder's so you can bring some familiar scent home to help with home sickness once you get to your own home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts