Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found 3 ticks on Lincoln in the last two weeks! I am such a wimp, I took him to the groomer for removal. She is so nice she didn't even charge me, but I did tip her....:) I started Advantix today and am hoping that works. Anyone else have good luck with Advantix? I take him running and I think he is getting them in the tall grass in the parkway- yuck! I get the major EBGB's from ticks and will probably have nightmares tonight! :doh:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I hate ticks too! Advantage multi always worked well for us in that department, plus it does fleas ticks and heartworm, as well as some other internal parasites (not sure which ones though)
Todd Posted a thing called a "tick key" not too long ago, it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use Advantix on my poodles and they do great on it. It's not too harsh for their skin and it keeps the nasties off them!!!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'm so glad we don't have ticks in NZ! The whole idea of them creeps me out a bit... lol

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm forever finding ticks in and around Captain's ears. Icky, nasty little blighters. We are currently using Frontline, and for about three weeks after application, we have no issues, it's that fourth week that doesn't seem to do us any good. My other dog is on Vectra 3d for ticks and fleas and I never find anything on her, but she has a super tight short coat, the things don't like her.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm forever finding ticks in and around Captain's ears. Icky, nasty little blighters. We are currently using Frontline, and for about three weeks after application, we have no issues, it's that fourth week that doesn't seem to do us any good. My other dog is on Vectra 3d for ticks and fleas and I never find anything on her, but she has a super tight short coat, the things don't like her.
so, on the 4th week do u re-apply? And if so, they should leave/die right? Has anyone seen the "tick key" online. Looks like a nice way to get them off quickly but I can't find any stores by me that carries them.

·
Registered
681 Posts
No, I re-apply when the calendar says to. I don't want to take any chances with possibly over-medicating. I hate using flea/tick products as it is, since I have two small kids in the house.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh!

No, I re-apply when the calendar says to. I don't want to take any chances with possibly over-medicating. I hate using flea/tick products as it is, since I have two small kids in the house.
Oh, I use Advantix and you re-apply every for weeks. I bought 4 doses and I think it will get me through this worst of the season. I may try some more natural products next time.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I HATE TICKS! I think I already posted this in the forum, but I HAD A TICK! Ugh, I woke up with it in my armpit and freaked right out. I was a teenager so it didn't take much for me to freak out anyway, but that really did. I think one of the dogs brought it in and into my bed by jumping on it. Anyway, my mom doused it with alcohol which made it squirm (and me scream louder) and then pulled it out with tweezers. To this day I shudder when I think of it...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Ugh, I hate them too. They're EVERYWHERE in TN. I use Frontline on Des and it does the trick, but it doesn't protect ME from them! One of my friends has get-togethers a lot especially in the spring/summer, but he has a ton of ticks in and around his yard, even when he sprays to keep them away. I end up with four or five crawling on me by the time the night ends- EWWW!! They disgust me. They're pretty much in any grass that isn't regularly mowed around here.

I've heard that a drop of Dawn dish soap on a tick will make it detach pretty quickly. Putting it directly on the tick or on a cotton ball works. I plan to implement this technique this summer, where I forsee a lot more ticks on Desmond, even with meds.... Dog park, work, more walks, etc.. I don't even worry about fleas, it's the ticks that make me nervous.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I dislike ticks, but amazingly not as much as other bugs like spiders (which i am darn right Freaked out about!!!). I have found them on Riley, found them on me (one was on my scalp once), had to take them off of clients dogs. Ehh. I just grab them with a kleenex, apply steady down and in pressure (like popping a pimple), and pull up. By slowly doing this it allows them to retract their head before removal instead of yanking it off.
I have heard that if you burn them, alcohol them, etc that they get mad and puke under the skin. Yuck!!! I can deal with ticks much more then fleas (which thankfully ive never had to deal with on my own pets)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts