Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mister got his bordetella, rabies and dhpp-c....i asked them to leave the lepto out of it but he still had to get the corona. I was told by my other vet that corona isnt needed unless he is out in the woods alot hunting, etc. The bordetella was funny since they put it up his nose in liquid form. Mister was very very good for his temperature taking, and for the two shots and the nasal drops lol.
It was the first time since ive had him that he has gotten any shots. I will not only vaccinate him every three years unless he is going to a daycare that requires it or something like that. Ive read up alot on vaccines and they can actually stay in there system for years. So i will try not to vaccinate too often.
I was just scared as a mommy to have her baby stuck with needles lol, but it all went well and he is a happy boy. No lumps or anything so far and the vet said that he might develope a slight cough from the nasal thing but so far so good.

Just wanted to share :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If you're looking to avoid excessive vaccination, ask your vet if they can perform blood titers. The test will check his levels of antibodies against the particular diseases. If his levels are low, he should be revaccinated, but if he has adequate levels, you don't have to vaccinate.

This is what I'm planning on doing with my minipoo.

My vet told me the downsides to titers are 1) it's more expensive than just vaccinating and 2) sometimes borderline results can be a challenge for the vet to determine if he needs the vaccination or not.

I am not concerned about the added cost. I'd rather not pump his little body full of vaccines that he doesn't need.

Just thought I'd share!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup i already knew about those and plan on doing it in a few years to Mister to be sure im not over vaccinating. Thanks for sharing though.

·
Registered
575 Posts
My 2cents on vaccines!

I know you didn't ask, but I'm going to say it anyway (no offense meant) :)

I ONLY give parvo and distemper every 3 years PERIOD (other than rabies)! I TELL my vet what I'll let them give and she listens. She won't force me to vaccinate with a vaccine that I dont' feel comfortable with and I NEVER EVER give more than one shot at a time. I purposely have my dogs rabies vax (the ones that get it) scheduled for a year when they are not getting the P/D vax. Always treat with Milk Thistle prior to vaccinating and then again for 7 days after. This helps the liver to process the vaccinations and the carrier agents and lessens the chances of a reaction.

I've done a lot of research on vaccinations and frankly, it's SCARY! As a matter of fact, you will see (if you do your homework) that many many many of the problems dogs are having these days are due to a weakened immune system and vaccines are probably the number one culprit for it.

All my research started a few years ago when I was in college, taking some classes on animal health, but I really cranked up my efforts after my little male chihuahua had a rabies vax reaction, which has progressed into grand mal seizures. He'll never get another rabies vaccination again.

So glad that Mister was such a trooper for his shots and exam :) Sorry didn't mean to get off on a rant and derail your thread :(

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm just gonna throw this out there. It really scared me. The breeder I got Reece from doesn't vaccinate with Rabies unless she has to. She took Reece's father (a 4 lb toy) and her irish wolfhound for their rabies. THEY GOT THE SAME DOSE!!!! I just don't see how that can be good for these little ones.

·
Registered
575 Posts
you should check out the Rabies Challenge fund!

They are doing A LOT to change the legislation regarding rabies vaccinations throughout the US.

You brought up a great point about the dosages. All vaccine's are dosed the same regardless of the weight of the dog. It just doesn't make sense, grrrrr.

http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

You all might also want to look at the protocols established by the renowned Dr. Jean Dodds! The AVMA adopted her 3 year protocols for the core vaccine's. She's done decades of research on vaccines and was the one who developed the titers protoco as well.

http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/HEMOPET.HTM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts